PDA

View Full Version : Acacia wants a class action suit?!

Dravyk
12-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Note: this is their press release, not an article

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/g...100&newsLang=en (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20031218005100&newsLang=en)

Acacia Research Corporation (Nasdaq:ACTG) (Nasdaq:CBMX) announced today that it has added 8 new adult entertainment defendants to its patent infringement litigation, now pending in the District Court for the Central District of California. Acacia originally sued 39 adult entertainment companies, and prior to adding the new defendants, had only 11 defendants remaining in the litigation.

The new Complaints, filed with the Court, seek to create a defendant class for all adult entertainment companies that infringe Acacia's DMT patents by transmitting pre-recorded, digital audio and audio/video adult content via any electronic communication channel into or from the Central District of California, or that operate at least one interactive website where a user located in Central District of California can exchange information with a host computer. Defendant class action status, which must be approved by the Court, would permit the Court's rulings on certain key issues to legally bind all members of the class, whether or not they have been specifically named as defendants in the litigation. This would result in a much more efficient use of Acacia's resources, eliminating the need for certain duplicative litigation.

Acacia has entered into 106 license agreements for its DMT technology with companies in the hotel in-room entertainment, and online music, movie and adult entertainment industries.

Acacia's DMT technology, which is covered by pioneering patents, relates to audio and video transmission and receiving systems, commonly known as audio-on-demand, video-on-demand, and audio/video streaming, and is used for distributing digital content via several means including Internet, cable television, satellite and wireless systems.

Legal shannigans to try to fight a single court case against the entire industry?

Rolo
12-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Who are the 8 new defendants?

JR
12-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Rolo@Dec 18 2003, 03:52 PM
i think you can look it up on findlaw.com

Rolo
12-18-2003, 07:10 PM
So far I have been told Pyhton and AdultCheck

gonzo
12-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Rolo@Dec 18 2003, 07:18 PM
Whos taking bets that they will both sell out?

Mike AI
12-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by gonzo+Dec 18 2003, 09:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gonzo @ Dec 18 2003, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Rolo@Dec 18 2003, 07:18 PM
Whos taking bets that they will both sell out?[/b][/quote]
Suckers bet!!

From what I remember ts pretty hard to certify a class as defendants.

BradShaw
12-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Good luck getting a dime from python. They will just claim it was someone elses fault.

Hooper
12-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by JR+Dec 18 2003, 07:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JR @ Dec 18 2003, 07:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Rolo@Dec 18 2003, 03:52 PM
i think you can look it up on findlaw.com[/b][/quote]
apparently findlaw has some delay/lag time. last legal case info they have on acacia is from nov 3

btw. just donate money (10k, 20k, 30k) to the current litigants attorneys so that you dont have to deal with this shit when/if you are named.

Last edited by Hooper at Dec 18 2003, 10:06 PM

Carrie
12-18-2003, 10:18 PM
there are reasons to do that
-it saves them money fighting multiple cases
-if one company can be found to be infringing, then all of the defendants are screwed even if the others aren't infringing
-the defendants will be seen as one entity rather than individual companies with individual claims and unique(or just different) methods of serving up video