PDA

View Full Version : France wants to banhead scarves

girlgeek
12-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Chirac: Ban headscarves in schools

PARIS, France (CNN) -- French President Jacques Chirac has called for a law banning religious symbols and clothing in state schools and hospitals.

Chirac's remarks Wednesday came in response to a commission report favoring the banning of Muslim head scarves, Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses in public schools.

He said he would sponsor legislation to make the ban law by next autumn.

In an address to the nation, Chirac said: "I feel that wearing any kind of symbol that ostensibly shows faith, I feel that that is something that should not be allowed in schools and colleges.

"If we are talking about a star of David, the hand of Fatima or a small cross, those are acceptable, but when it's very obvious, in other words, when if they are worn people can immediately see what religious faith they belong to, that should not be accepted."

Later in his remarks, Chirac said the ban should also apply to hospitals.

And he added: "Nothing can justify that a patient refuses, on principle, to be cared for by a doctor of the opposite sex. The law must consecrate this rule for all the ill who go to a public hospital."

Chirac said the wearing of religious symbols threatened the cohesion of the French people and France's separation of church and state.

Read the rest at http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/17...rves/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/17/france.headscarves/index.html).

slavdogg
12-18-2003, 02:43 AM
i can support that
at least its even handed

KRL
12-18-2003, 03:17 AM
Everytime I see one of those women dressed like that in the US, it just sends chills up my spine and I think of 9/11.

:woo:

Winetalk.com
12-18-2003, 03:21 AM
I guess now we know the biggest France' problem....

Rolo
12-18-2003, 04:33 AM
France have alot of muslims, so does Germany and the rest of Europe...

Many muslims are getting intergrated, however there is a hardcore group who wants too live by the sharia law ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/articl...,777972,00.html (http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/article/0,6512,777972,00.html) ) , not by normal western law or culture.
This hardcore group is possible in the millions all over Europe, and they have their own schools, sponsor groups in the middle east (both money and people), and do alot of things not too be intergrated (ex. arranged marriage with people from the middle east).

Also by far most of the hate crime in Europe towards jews are not from skinheads/nazis, but from young muslims. The EU made a rapport about it, but they didnīt dare to release it in fear, that it would upset muslims, however it was leaked to the press.

Some political parties in Europe have made it one of their main issues, and each time problems with hardcore muslims is in the news, then these political parties get more votes. This scares the old parties and therefore they are trying to keep status quo.

Thats one of the major reasons why France and Germany have been acting the way of the middle east. They are scared that "the west" will have a confrontation with "the middle east", because this will take power from old parties in Europe.

Sharpie
12-18-2003, 08:12 AM
The thing that bugs me the most, is all the people who move here and never try to even learn the language...... I find speaking a foreign language in public, by an American citizen - to be rude on most occassions.

With that said, I can understand older people who do not really have the capacity to learn...... but all these younger people, without a grasp of the language, shows laziness on their part.

Vick
12-18-2003, 08:52 AM
head scarfs should ban france

sarah_webinc
12-18-2003, 09:37 AM
it is all religious clothing not just head scraves. For example, no crosses. I am not comfortable with it but then I am not French. Still, it is worth telling the whole story.

DrGuile
12-18-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Sharpie@Dec 18 2003, 08:20 AM
The thing that bugs me the most, is all the people who move here and never try to even learn the language...... I find speaking a foreign language in public, by an American citizen - to be rude on most occassions.
Are you saying that, lets say, someone of german origin, talking to someone else of german descent in a bar should talk in English otherwise its rude?!

Learning the language of a country where you immigrate is very important and I agree it should be mandatory, but stopping people from speaking their own language is facist at best.

Winetalk.com
12-18-2003, 09:39 AM
Sharpie, am I rude saying in Russian on English speaking board:
potseluite menia v jopu?
;-))))

Dravyk
12-18-2003, 12:06 PM
Coco Channel and Audrey Hepburn are turning in their graves.

nlphoto
12-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Dec 18 2003, 10:14 AM
Coco Channel and Audrey Hepburn are turning in their graves.

Considering the Earth's rotation, who the fuck isn't ?

:nyanya: