PDA

View Full Version : You know it's time to refill the birdfeeder

Peaches
12-11-2003, 11:13 AM
When the damn birds start flying up to your office window and tapping on it! :zoinks: The hummingbirds usually do this in the spring to let me know they've come back, but I'm usually pretty good about keeping the regular feeder filled and if I slack off, they don't always get this pissed off about it.

My theory is that we're going to have a hard winter here - the squirrels were putting away acorns a LOT more than usual and the birds and deer are massively pigging out. Though we had the lowest temperatures I've ever seen in GA last year - I'm not sure how it can get worse. :( Three "snows" already this year (just dustings to you folks who have real snows).

I love living in the woods. :okthumb:

Trev
12-11-2003, 11:57 AM
The birds aint got a chance at our nuts because we've got a gang of grey squirrels running opperations in our area...

They may be cute as hell but they aint taking no crap from any birds thats for sure :D

Last edited by Trev at Dec 11 2003, 07:05 PM

Nickatilynx
12-11-2003, 12:00 PM
I hear the sparrows are gonna make a move on the squirrels over the winter.

;-))))

Trev
12-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Yeah.. I've heard talk about the squirrels "taking the big sleep".

This area is just getting too damn rough :D

sarettah
12-11-2003, 12:03 PM
We had our first snow yesterday... anywhere between 5 and 8 inches across the area......

Had to go out yesterday afternoon and put the corn out for the squirels and the sunflower seeds for the birds......

This morning the birds were having a great time of it and it looked like the squirells hadn't clued in yet...

Trev
12-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Dec 11 2003, 07:11 PM
We had our first snow yesterday... anywhere between 5 and 8 inches across the area......

Had to go out yesterday afternoon and put the corn out for the squirels and the sunflower seeds for the birds......

This morning the birds were having a great time of it and it looked like the squirells hadn't clued in yet...
them there squirrels mustn't be "made squirrels" yet... they'll get the hang sooner or later :ph34r:

Peaches
12-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I was just looking at two squirrels who were HUGE. Biggest I've seen - they are really beefing up this year. They're also starting to hit the birdfeeder which they usually don't do until all the acorns are gone. I put corn out for the deer and safflower seeds for the birds - the squirrels don't like the safflower seeds much so they last longer. I was replacing sunflower seeds twice a freaking day. Plus the bears like the sunflower seeds to that brought them in too. :unsure:

Damn birds are now pecking at the house and roof. I better go feed the piglets. :awinky:

JFK
12-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I have 5 feeders in my back yard, sometimes despite the precations the little bastard Squirells come and clean them out .......They only want the sunflower seeds.......oh well, they have to eat as well

Trev
12-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by JFK@Dec 11 2003, 08:25 PM
I have 5 feeders in my back yard, sometimes despite the precations the little bastard Squirells come and clean them out .......They only want the sunflower seeds.......oh well, they have to eat as well
I was expecting pics :P

:D

mojobill
12-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Birds? I gotta feed this crowd!

http://www.fretz-family.com/misc/cropped-deer.jpg

Peaches
12-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Dec 11 2003, 03:14 PM

Hehehe - that looks like what I have outside! I had an 8 point out the other day - biggest one I've seen around here.

I always threw out my old lettuce thinking they would like it and they don't touch it. I throw out old bread for the birds and the deer LOVE it. I watched a doe put down 6 hamburger buns once. :zoinks:

mojobill
12-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Ya.. those beasts will eat about anything at this time of year...

They sit in the treeline and watch me put out those carrots... once I am inside, they come to em like a bee to honey! LOL

ALL does... cept one doe had TRIPLET bucks.. next year will be interesting! ;-)

BTW.. they are keeping a keen eye on the wonder dog.. she likes to try to get em to play... they DONT play! LOL

JFK
12-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Dec 11 2003, 10:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Dec 11 2003, 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JFK@Dec 11 2003, 08:25 PM
I was expecting pics :P

:D[/b][/quote]
Sorry, I will when I get a good one. I like the "Cat TV" ........when our two cats sit in the dining room window and watch the feeder just outside with tales twitching, one of them makes bird like sounds trying to attract them , pretty funny shit B)

Carrie
12-11-2003, 03:30 PM
You guys make me miss the squirrels I had at my old house. They'd come hang off of the patio screen and bitch at me until I tossed peanuts out for them or refilled the bird feeders. Brazen little things, it got to where we could slide the screen door open and hand out the peanuts and they'd take them from our hands.

Carrie
12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
lol@cat tv, that works well with small children, too! :yowsa:

Carrie
12-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Dec 11 2003, 02:14 PM

They're gorgeous, FB... aren't you worried you might be getting them too used to trusting humans? Do you guys get many hunters up there?

mojobill
12-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Carrie.. these deer have no fear of humans.. that property is City Park, and there is no hunting allowed, and never has been.... they are there just to taunt me.... ;-)

JohnV
12-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Dec 11 2003, 09:05 AM
The birds aint got a chance at our nuts because we've got a gang of grey squirrels running opperations in our area...

They may be cute as hell but they aint taking no crap from any birds thats for sure :D

lol@running operations in our area....I used to live in CT and we had tons of Walnut trees....the squirrels loved our lawn.

Peaches
12-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Carrie@Dec 11 2003, 04:38 PM
You guys make me miss the squirrels I had at my old house. They'd come hang off of the patio screen and bitch at me until I tossed peanuts out for them or refilled the bird feeders. Brazen little things, it got to where we could slide the screen door open and hand out the peanuts and they'd take them from our hands.
I made the mistake of leaving a bag of bird food on the table on the screen porch last year. Woke up to this butthead squirrel just enjoying the heck out of it. Then saw where he chewed up my wood door and screen in order to get in. :steemed:

mojobill
12-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Ya.. those damn squirrels are a PITA... I have several in the oak tree in back... they play a VERY dangerous game of 'avoid the Husky', in their attempts to get to the bird feeder.....

It's pretty comical to watch.... they dont get to the bird feeder that often.. and if the make it... they only make it back to the tree 50% of the time! :zoinks:

VooMan
12-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Okay, I remember seeing this clip on PBS some years ago. This lady in England set up an obstacle course for a squirrel that always raided her bird feeder. There was only one way for the squirrel to get the food, he had to figure out the obstacles. It took a few days, but of course he did it. Squirrels are not stupid...

Good old Google. Two minutes searching and I find the video online. hahaha Unfortunately it's not that great in quality, but it's funny as hell what this squirrel will go through just to get some food. :)

http://www.squirrels.org/pub/course2.rm

Peaches
12-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by VooMan@Dec 11 2003, 07:53 PM
Okay, I remember seeing this clip on PBS some years ago. This lady in England set up an obstacle course for a squirrel that always raided her bird feeder. There was only one way for the squirrel to get the food, he had to figure out the obstacles. It took a few days, but of course he did it. Squirrels are not stupid...

Good old Google. Two minutes searching and I find the video online. hahaha Unfortunately it's not that great in quality, but it's funny as hell what this squirrel will go through just to get some food. :)

http://www.squirrels.org/pub/course2.rm
Well, it's not pulling up for me, but I remember seeing the whole thing on PBS several years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's something I've thought of buying strictly for the entertainment value (http://www.birdwatchers.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=DYYF&reference=/cgi-bin/shopper%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Ddrollsquirr elproof%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DTemplates/SearchResult.html)

Watch the video. B)

VooMan
12-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Hmmm.... okay, go to http://www.squirrels.org/video.html and hit the link for the "Daylight Robbery II."

Last edited by VooMan at Dec 11 2003, 07:06 PM