PDA

View Full Version : Ding Dong the witch is dead....

sarettah
12-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Sat down and watched the Wizard of Oz for the first time in a long time tonight....

It is absolutely amazing how little progress in cinematography has really been made in 64 years...Either that or MGM was way way ahead of their time back in '39.......

Blows me away every time I see it (whether I listen to Pink Floyd at the same time or not..... :yowsa: )

girlgeek
12-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Damn, Sarettah, you got me all excited when I saw the title of this thread. :yowsa:

The Wizard of Oz is also one of my favorites. I used to catch it on it's annual showing, and then when I had my daughter, I bought it for her. I never get tired of watching it. A classic for sure.

Almighty Colin
12-08-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@Dec 7 2003, 09:28 PM
Sat down and watched the Wizard of Oz for the first time in a long time tonight....

It is absolutely amazing how little progress in cinematography has really been made in 64 years...Either that or MGM was way way ahead of their time back in '39.......

Blows me away every time I see it (whether I listen to Pink Floyd at the same time or not..... :yowsa: )
It's great but even better with Floyd :-)

sarettah
12-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Dec 8 2003, 05:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 8 2003, 05:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarettah@Dec 7 2003, 09:28 PM

It's great but even better with Floyd :-)[/b][/quote]
:)

Hey Colin !!!!!!!!

sarah_webinc
12-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Some facts about me:

My childhood dog was called Toto
My nana is a Dorothy
I have an Uncle Henry and an Aunt Em

Think I was a fan?

It was the film that made me fall in love with cinema.

cherrylula
12-08-2003, 10:23 AM
I was in a bank in Burbank last year and one of the guys who played one of those lollipop munchkins was in there with his wife. Everyone was asking him questions, it was really cool. He must be like 100 years old too, amazing him and his little wife looked so small and healthy too. He said he is one of the few remaining cast members alive, and all the does is fly around the world to conventions and makes bank.

He gave me a little laminated autographed picture card its the coolest thing. His name is Jerry Maren.

I must have seen that movie hundreds of times. I even have the dvd but have only watched it once or twice.

Peaches
12-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@Dec 7 2003, 10:28 PM

It's also one of my favorites. IIRC, they have remastered at least once so it probably DOES look better than it did in 1939. :)

If you're amazed like I am at pop-up books, an excellent one was just released regarding WOO: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-up by Robert Sabuda.

My mother lives in the "retirement community" with the old Mayor Munchkin (though he may have died in the last few years - he wife, also a munchkin died in a car accident several years ago while living there) and when my son met him, he gave him an autographed picture....and charged him $5 for it, lol! :P

jchartrand55
12-08-2003, 10:33 AM
I, for one, will never watch this movie again. I had to do a semiotic breakdown paper of the entire film for a Film class in college. That required watching it like 3 times through in a row as I rewound parts over and over again. When I was done - I hated it. Its a shame too, I know its a fantastic film. *sigh*

JonC

Advertising Support Rep.
Advertising Revenue Service
jchartrand@i2intl.com

Peaches
12-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by jchartrand55@Dec 8 2003, 11:41 AM
I, for one, will never watch this movie again. I had to do a semiotic breakdown paper of the entire film for a Film class in college. That required watching it like 3 times through in a row as I rewound parts over and over again. When I was done - I hated it. Its a shame too, I know its a fantastic film. *sigh*

JonC

Advertising Support Rep.
Advertising Revenue Service
jchartrand@i2intl.com
Any good info you learned while dissecting it you can share? :)