PDA

View Full Version : Who Pays To Hang Christmas Lights

Kittyfuzz
12-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Ok, I go out into the garage to find all the Christmas lights we use on our house, only to find a big ball of tangled mangled wires with little light bulbs attached. Now, in my heart and mind, I know these are the blessed Christmas lights I need to hang outside my house, but upon looking at them, it looks like a dangerous wire monster that's just waiting to swallow me whole! Oh no, I think i'm calling the Grinch, he likes Christmas wire monsters like this cause he can hide them away to never be seen again!

Thus the question, do any of you pay to have your Christmas display done? I am seriously considering it after a very long, dangerous, tiring battle with the wire and light monster.

Fletch XXX
12-04-2003, 04:47 PM
'wrap the lights up neatly the year before and they will be easier to undo the year after'

this is what my mom taught me, every year when i had to be the one doing the damn lights.

:awinky:

Last edited by Fletch XXX at Dec 4 2003, 01:55 PM

Carrie
12-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Paper towel rolls and empty christmas wrap rolls are good for this.
For shorter strings, cut the xmas wrap roll in half to make 2 tubes.
Put a notch in one end of the tube and thread the plug through it. Then proceed to wrap the lights around the tube and when you're done, slip the last bulb (or plug on the other end) through a notch in the other end of the tube.

The notches hold them in place and make it easy to find the ends, the tubes keep them neat and tidy.

This year is the first where I saw an actual commercial on TV for a local company that will come out and hang lights for you. Before that, I didn't know people actually did that. Probably a pretty lucrative business, but very seasonal-dependent!

Candice
12-04-2003, 07:48 PM
we usually do it ourselves... :bdance:

Kittyfuzz
12-05-2003, 09:17 AM
I have never really seen an advertisement for it, but I know electricians that do do it.

So ok, my boys decided they wanted to do the outside instead last night. I walked out to look at it and wondered if they were decorating for Christmas or Halloween. Don'tcha just hate it when you see something that just hurts to look at, but can't say anything? LOL All you can do is say that's great! I think while they are at school, the grinch is gonna come visit and I am just gonna tell em that someone loved the display so much that the stole it while I was inside working!

Thanks for the papertowel idea. I will definately try that and kill the first person in my house that I see just throwing the lights in a box when we take em down! :rokk:

Peaches
12-05-2003, 09:25 AM
I have a cousin who pays someone to put the tree up AND decorate it. :unsure: That's part of the fun of Christmas - doing it yourself! :)

One year when the kid was around 5, I let him do ALL the tree decorating himself. All the ornaments were at the bottom half of the tree, but it still looked cool to us. :P

Trev
12-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Lighting up the outside of the house is becoming a bigger and bigger thing over here now... and there's loads of companies that'll put up your lights, hell you can even rent the lights now...

They'll even clear the guttering while they work so it's win win...

Kittyfuzz
12-05-2003, 12:47 PM
LOl Trev, you have convinced me now! Gutters AND lights?! I like 2 for 1's
:D

Trev
12-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Kittyfuzz@Dec 5 2003, 07:55 PM
LOl Trev, you have convinced me now! Gutters AND lights?! I like 2 for 1's
:D
Hehehe

Did I mention that I'm in the UK... :D