PDA

View Full Version : Should we have the right to

KRL
12-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Boy, its sad we can put animals out of their misery and the humans we love and care for have to suffer and die a slow agonizing death. One of my friend's mom just died after 6 months of chemo hell from bone marrow cancer. She's so upset she had to watch her mother spend the last months of her life in total pain, misery, all drugged up, and practically half dead anyway.

Her mother kept asking her to just kill her and put her out of her suffering.

What a crying shame we just can't put them to sleep if that is what they desire when the end is guaranteed shortly anyway.

:(

Peaches
12-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by KRL@Dec 4 2003, 04:43 PM
Boy, its sad we can put animals out of their misery and the humans we love and care for have to suffer and die a slow agonizing death. One of my friend's mom just died after 6 months of chemo hell from bone marrow cancer. She's so upset she had to watch her mother spend the last months of her life in total pain, misery, all drugged up, and practically half dead anyway.

Her mother kept asking her to just kill her and put her out of her suffering.

What a crying shame we just can't put them to sleep if that is what they desire when the end is guaranteed shortly anyway.

:(
Here's a good example (http://www.science-spirit.org/articles/Articledetail.cfm?article_ID=343) even though it's the other way around. :cryin:

Kittyfuzz
12-04-2003, 03:47 PM
That really is a hard one to answer. With science and the human soul , no one ever really knows if the person can actually recover. I used to firmly believe that if someone documents it legally that they should be allowed to be put to rest if there is no hope of recovery and they are suffering. However, you don't want to be the person asking yourself if your loved one could have recovered, but you made the decision to end their life. it's very hard.

My sister passed away 2 years ago of ovarian cancer. She was only 34, and had three children from 7-18. It was hard for us, and especially for her children to watch her suffer the way she did. She had so much hope and faith that she would recover, thus giving us hope as well. In the end, that faith was shattered when we were told she had less than a week to live. During that week I asked myself those same questions. Isn't there something I can do to stop her suffering? The answer was yes. Though I can't ease her phsyical suffering, I can ease her mental suffering by us being there by her side while she left us. The last day of her life, I would have given anything to be able to give her a shot or something and stop her convulsions and pain. It was very hard to see that, and I know she wouldn't have wanted us to see that either. I just can't imagine how much she was truely suffering that day.

So my answer is yes. When it gets to that point, you should be able to call a Dr. who specializes in that to come help them pass. No one should ever have to suffer in the way that last stage terminal people do, No one.

LadyLaw
12-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Oregon is the only state I know of with an assisted-suicide law...The Death With Dignity Act (DWDA) was first passed in 1994, reaffirmed by the voters in 1997, challenged by Ashcroft 10 days after 9/11, and finally reaffirmed by a Federal Judge in March 2002. The DWDA has been cleared legally for passage by other states now....but there is still a religious bias against assisting the terminally ill out of this life with dignity.

So far 126 people (through 2002) have used the DWDA to end their lives.

To quality you must be of sound mind, not clinically depressed, and have a terminal (6 months or less to live) diagnosis....and have at least two doctors examine you to certify the above. The only other place you can assist yourself in a mercifully pain-free exit is the Netherlands.

KRL and Kittyfizz....my sympathies to you both. No one should have to suffer like that.

Last edited by LadyLaw at Dec 4 2003, 08:08 PM

Winetalk.com
12-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Dec 4 2003, 08:07 PM
Oregon is the only state I know of with an assisted-suicide law...The Death With Dignity Act (DWDA) was first passed in 1994, reaffirmed by the voters in 1997, challenged by Ashcroft 10 days after 9/11, and finally reaffirmed by a Federal Judge in March 2002. The DWDA has been cleared legally for passage by other states now....but there is still a religious bias against assisting the terminally ill out of this life with dignity.

So far 126 people (through 2002) have used the DWDA to end their lives.

To quality you must be of sound mind, not clinically depressed, and have a terminal (6 months or less to live) diagnosis....and have at least two doctors examine you to certify the above. The only other place you can assist yourself in a mercifully pain-free exit is the Netherlands.

KRL and Kittyfizz....my sympathies to you both. No one should have to suffer like that.
..which was #3 reason I married an Oregonian!
:okthumb:

put me to sleep, baby!
;-)))

Diamond Jim
12-04-2003, 08:54 PM
I think we should be able to put some posters to sleep...

Fair's fair...

sarettah
12-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Diamond Jim@Dec 4 2003, 09:02 PM

Fair's fair...
:blink:

Kittyfuzz
12-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Diamond Jim@Dec 4 2003, 06:02 PM

Fair's fair...
:rokk: :rokk: :wnw:

Winetalk.com
12-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Diamond Jim@Dec 4 2003, 09:02 PM

Fair's fair...
:bdance: :bdance: :bdance: