PDA

View Full Version : Buff Trivia for Oprano

Buff
12-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Ok, all the big brains of Oprano, here is the Buff Trivia Contest for 12/4. I will post the answers tomorrow and then designate someone else to compile the next 6 trivia questions.

Give the best answer, whatever that may be. Don't be afraid to say exactly what you think the answer is. Googling, Yahooing, AltaVistaing, or answering any of the questions using any resource other than your memory or raw brainpower is not only forbidden, it's indicative of vaginitis:

1. Fools laugh at the Latin language. As evidence, I present the word "filioque." What is the historical importance of this word (1 point), and what is the meaning of this word (1 point)? (2 points total)

2. Name the two Spartans who, according to Herodotus, may have missed the actual Battle of Thermopylae due to eye infections. (1 point each)

3. Who said "From soft countries come soft men" and whom did he say it to? (1 point each)

4. How did Lucius Junius Brutus escape death at the hands of King Tarquinius Superbus?(1 point) Who did Brutus as Consul have put to death for conspiracy to restore the dynasty? (1 point) What was Brutus' father's name? (2 points) (4 points total)

5. According to Greek Mythology, what was Tartarus? (1 point) Who gaurds it? (2 points) Who presides over it? (1 point) Name the 5 humans who are said to reside there (1 point each) and give the reason why each resides there (4 points each) (29 points total)

6. Who are Archibald Leach, Bernard Schwartz, Lucille LeSueur? (1 point each for the correct answer, 8 points for the answer I have in mind)

We're on the honor system here, I cannot stop you from reading others' answers or cheating, but be a man and do the right thing, pussies.

Last edited by Buff at Dec 4 2003, 12:27 PM

Winetalk.com
12-04-2003, 01:19 PM
I honestly don't know...
will you give me a prize for honesty?
;_)))

Buff
12-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Dec 4 2003, 12:27 PM
I honestly don't know...
will you give me a prize for honesty?
;_)))
I will give partial credit for honesty if a good answer is attempted. In this case, you get no credit, because I am quite certain that if nothing else, you know at least part of the answer to number 4 and part of the answer to number 5 somewhere in that highly-educated Russian brain of yours.

Winetalk.com
12-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Buff, can you add one more question for 10 points?

How to live in Europe on 1 mil invested in muni bonds in the environment of the
1) falling dollar
2) rising interest rates making the value of the bonds drop?

;-)))

I hope SOMEBODY knows the answer to this one
;-))))

Winetalk.com
12-04-2003, 01:23 PM
I'll attempt later...gotta go to Miami,
UBS brought their exhi=bit of finme arts and my broker got me 4 passes,
see you there, MikeW!
;_)))

Carrie
12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
I can only remember parts of 4 and 5.

4. How did Lucius Junius Brutus escape death at the hands of King Tarquinius Superbus?(1 point)
By pretending to be a harmless imbecile, the king kept him around for amusement.

Who did Brutus as Consul have put to death for conspiracy to restore the dynasty? (1 point)
His own two sons; they were conspiring with the old king to bring him back

What was Brutus' father's name? (2 points) (4 points total)
Can't remember. Marcus?

5. According to Greek Mythology, what was Tartarus? (1 point)
A place lower than Hades, 9 days from the earth.

Who gaurds it? (2 points)
3 Giants with 50 heads and 100 arms

Who presides over it? (1 point)
Can't remember

Name the 5 humans who are said to reside there (1 point each) and give the reason why each resides there (4 points each) (29 points total)
The only one I can remember is Sisyphus (sp?) - for stealing and killing; he's the one who had to roll a huge boulder up a hill and watch it roll down for all eternity.

dig420
12-04-2003, 02:11 PM
I only know 5, I think..

Tartarus is hell, or an approximation thereof.

It's guardian is Cerebus, a three headed dog.

Hades or Pluto is in charge.

Archibald Leach sounds familiar.. wasn't he a journalist or a spy?

Nickatilynx
12-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Archie leech is cary grant
Bernie schwartz is tony curtis
Lucille leseur is Joan Crawford.

And I'm guessing that either the all banged each other , or the men banged Joan Crawford.

Edd
12-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Buff, your catholic school education is showing.... Just how
useful IS latin, anyway?

And Greek Mythology? SPARTANS????

Is there something you're NOT telling us about your military history?

In nominae padre, et filio, et spiritu sancti.

Buff
12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Edd@Dec 4 2003, 01:42 PM
Buff, your catholic school education is showing.... Just how
useful IS latin, anyway?

And Greek Mythology? SPARTANS????

Is there something you're NOT telling us about your military history?

In nominae padre, et filio, et spiritu sancti.
Hey, Ed! Kill anyone today?

:D

Edd
12-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Yes actually - I make it a point to kill someone every day. Should you ever see me standing peacefully in a queue someplace, with my eyes closed in meditative thought know this: I am not standing in a queue. I am standing ankle deep in a miasma of blood and bodyparts, holding in my clenched fist a bit of viscera that was once the trachea of the person holding up the queue by trying to pay for tic-tacs with a credit card and no ID.
:grrr:

Buff
12-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Edd@Dec 4 2003, 01:54 PM
Yes actually - I make it a point to kill someone every day. Should you ever see me standing peacefully in a queue someplace, with my eyes closed in meditative thought know this: I am not standing in a queue. I am standing ankle deep in a miasma of blood and bodyparts, holding in my clenched fist a bit of viscera that was once the trachea of the person holding up the queue by trying to pay for tic-tacs with a credit card and no ID.
:grrr:
Ed, you realize that in 6 or 8 or 10 years from now when the FBI agent contacts me and asks me what I remember about working with you, and if you ever made any comments about murder, mutiliation, etc., I am going to have to lie -- for $5000. :biglaugh:

Edd
12-04-2003, 03:19 PM
And this is the beauty of the human imagination, Buff...

I can close my eyes and imagine all sorts of mischief and mayhem, fantasizing about all kinds of slayage... just as YOU can fantasize ME paying you 5000$....

On second thought, DON'T ever fantasize about me under ANY situation - you've too much interest in Spartan history for my liking, and we ALL know about you and Billy.... :inlove: :moon: :matey: :inlove:

Buff
12-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Edd@Dec 4 2003, 02:27 PM
And this is the beauty of the human imagination, Buff...

I can close my eyes and imagine all sorts of mischief and mayhem, fantasizing about all kinds of slayage... just as YOU can fantasize ME paying you 5000$....

On second thought, DON'T ever fantasize about me under ANY situation - you've too much interest in Spartan history for my liking, and we ALL know about you and Billy.... :inlove: :moon: :matey: :inlove:
When I am around Billy, I take the words of Stan to heart: CYA

Peaches
12-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Buff@Dec 4 2003, 02:25 PM
Lucille LeSueur? (1 point each for the correct answer, 8 points for the answer I have in mind)
That's the redheaded chick (married a latino) who learned how to grow those tiny little peas. :rokk:

Hell Puppy
12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
All of these questions are before my time.

Bring on the Beavis and Butthead trivia!