http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104702,00.html

B)

Peaches
12-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Bestat@Dec 3 2003, 02:26 PM
Story is here:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104702,00.html

B)
Debit cards are a semi-good idea that's gone horribly awry, IMHO.

KRL
12-03-2003, 01:23 PM
A lot of banks give rebates to customers when they use the credit selection for their purchases vs. selecting the debit option. I know my main bank gives me .5% back on any purchase using my MC bank card and choosing that option.

So the banks encourage customers to do it so they can gouge the retailers.

Hooper
12-03-2003, 01:23 PM
It makes me happy to see people tell mastercard/visa to fuck themselves. :moon:

cherrylula
12-03-2003, 01:56 PM
I just got a new visa atm debit card in the mail, with the little 800 number activation sticker on it.

When I called to activate the card, all it required me to do was enter the number on the card, thats it. Nothing else to verify it was my name on the card.

Now if the mailman had screwed up on the delivery of this, as he has done before, whats from stopping pedro down the street from lighting up my card and going fill up all his family's gas tanks? Nothing at all. Especially since he'd have the billing address of the card as well.

Those card people do shit like this on purpose. Years ago I recall having to at least enter the last four digits of my ssn to activate a card, but just punching in the card number to activate it is ridiculous. Why do they even bother?

Peaches
12-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by cherrylula@Dec 3 2003, 03:04 PM
I just got a new visa atm debit card in the mail, with the little 800 number activation sticker on it.

When I called to activate the card, all it required me to do was enter the number on the card, thats it. Nothing else to verify it was my name on the card.

Now if the mailman had screwed up on the delivery of this, as he has done before, whats from stopping pedro down the street from lighting up my card and going fill up all his family's gas tanks? Nothing at all. Especially since he'd have the billing address of the card as well.

Those card people do shit like this on purpose. Years ago I recall having to at least enter the last four digits of my ssn to activate a card, but just punching in the card number to activate it is ridiculous. Why do they even bother?
When that's all they ask for, it's usually because they have your phone number on file and when you call from that number, it verifies that it's you. Many lenders (auto, home, etc.) are set up this way.