PDA

View Full Version : Racist Police Brutality or Justifiable Beatdown?

Buff
12-01-2003, 03:01 PM
400 Pound Man Beaten to Death by Cops in Cincinnati (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031201/ap_on_re_us/died_in_custody_3)

CINCINNATI - A 400-pound black man died after being struck repeatedly by police wielding metal nightsticks, and the mayor said Monday a videotape showed that the officers were defending themselves. The cause of death was under investigation.

Black activists say the death Sunday of Nathaniel Jones, 41, was another example of brutality involving Cincinnati police. The fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by a white police officer in April 2001 prompted three nights of rioting in the city. "How many of our people have to die before the city decides to do something about it?" said Nathaniel Livingston Jr. of the Coalition for a Just Cincinnati. The officers who were at the scene Sunday - five whites and one black - were placed on administrative leave, which is policy while investigators examine any police encounter that results in a death.

Here's the raw video footage if you enjoy watching a belligerent, fat bastard get the smackdown.

A preliminary drug report from Jones' autopsy revealed the presence of cocaine and phencyclidine, also known as "angel dust," according to Hamilton County Coroner Carl Parrott, Jr. (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104467,00.html)

Racist Police Brutality

or

Justifiable Beatdown

Carrie
12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
When I click on the video link, all I get is a big advertisement for what's coming on tonight and then it ends. I kept trying and at one point I got like 2 seconds of video, I heard someone say something like "step back" and saw a cop in a white hat, but that's it.

If he was done up on angel dust there was going to be no stopping him.

KRL
12-01-2003, 03:13 PM
He wasn't cooperating and was resisting arrest. He was 400 lbs. The officer's didn't appear to have any other way to effect the arrest based on the video I watched.

You have to be a stupid motherfucker to resist police nowadays. They'll fuck you up or kill you if you give them attitude or start fighting back. That's just how it is.

Fletch XXX
12-01-2003, 03:48 PM
wow, that guy got hit like 40 times with a metal night stick, no wonder he died.

resisting or not, should cops be allowed to beat you like that?

right at the end, there are 3 cops, and 2 are steadily swining on the guy, theres no way he would have lived.

at some point there HAS to be law, and cops should not have the right to beat people down.

no doubt AFTER the video stops, 3 of them beat him with sticks... for resisting? 3 cops beating you while youre on the ground?

geez

Diamond Jim
12-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Fletch XXX@Dec 1 2003, 03:56 PM
wow, that guy got hit like 40 times with a metal night stick, no wonder he died.

right at the end, there are 3 cops, and 2 are steadily swining on the guy, theres no way he would have lived.

at some point there HAS to be law, and cops should not have the right to beat people down.

no doubt AFTER the video stops, 3 of them beat him with sticks... for resisting? 3 cops beating you while youre on the ground?

geez
Cops should be able to beat your ass until you are done resisting...
All blows sustained until you are down and not resisting are fair. If you are down and not moving, any further beating is brutality.

To the liberal Devil's advocates : Before you say it....

"I hereby give written permission to the police to beat me into submission if I am ever high on Angel Dust and resisting arrest"

Peaches
12-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Fletch XXX@Dec 1 2003, 04:56 PM

geez
Where has it been reported that he died of the beating itself? He was 400 pounds, had an enlarged heart and was on PCP. :unsure:

Vick
12-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Why is it always a race issue?

Beyond that, Nathaniel Jones was still trying to grab the nightstick and not ceasing resisting arrest while there were 2 officers (take a close look at the video, he doesn't ever put his hands behind his back and his hands aren't coming up to protect himself they are coming up to try to grab the nightstick)

What happened after the camera stopped rolling and 5 officers were present we don't see

Bottom line - if Nathaniel Jones doesn't have any more regard for his life than evidenced by his actions (much less the lives of police officers) why should anyone have any regard for Nathaniel Jones life

If you were the police officer's in the video what would you have done?

I would have shot, and it's not a race issue -

Faced with a 400LBS purple and pink polka dotted man on drugs resisting arrest and trying to cause bodily harm (see early in the video, Jones wipes out the police officer with a clothesline) it's a matter of survival

Fletch XXX
12-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Diamond Jim@Dec 1 2003, 01:18 PM
If you are down and not moving, any further beating is brutality.

luckily foer the cops, the camera is fixed and you cant see what the guy IS doing while on the ground.

are you trying to say a 400 pound guy laying on his belly with one cop on his back, and another repeatedly hitting him in the sides and legs is really a threat? i guess he is, his size makes it a problem to cuff i guess.... looks to me the guy once pushed over, and on the ground, wasnt much of a threat any longer. cant really tell...

even after the 3rd cop runs up and grabs his arms or whatever, the second cop, takes a ste[p back, gathers for a second, then lifts his arm to take more FULL SWINGS on the guy after 2 cops have him on the ground.

looks like they got carried away, the result, a dead guy.

i wasnt there so i dont know, but it makes you wonder, so the chubby guy had a few drinks, gets cocky, takes a swing at a cop, then he ends up with 3 of them beating his ass down with nightclubs even after he is on the ground and its not like hes gonna run away.

you think a tipped over Samoan is much of a fight hehehe

i dont.

i think they were genuinely scared and killed him, accident maybe, but its scary to see.

Last edited by Fletch XXX at Dec 1 2003, 01:25 PM

Fletch XXX
12-01-2003, 04:23 PM
and hey, im not saying cops shopuldnt be able to protect themselves.

by no means am i saying that.

im just saying, if this is a question of brutality, you cant really tell just by the cklip.

HOW long did that beating continue?

it seemed to be VERY violent right off the bat, that one cop barely stops swinging through the whole thing, and even continues to beat him along with his partner over and over until the vid stops.

excess force maybe, cant really tell from just the clip.

JR
12-01-2003, 04:26 PM
attack a cop... dont cooperate.... continue resisting... and you should expect to get the holy living shit out of you. its that simple.

NO ONE here can know what its like to be in the cops shoes unless you have been in a situation where you are being attacked and you have a guns involved. You dont have too many options when you are holding a gun or have a gun and someone is rushing you... you kill the fucker. end of story.

It's not like he was surprised and did not know what was happening. It was the exact opposite. he attacked the cops.

Racist? I would consider it racist if they did not shoot him.

Diamond Jim
12-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Fletch XXX@Dec 1 2003, 04:24 PM
are you trying to say a 400 pound guy laying on his belly with one cop on his back, and another repeatedly hitting him in the sides and legs is really a threat?
I'm saying what I said....I don't even need to see the video to comment. I made no prediction of guilt or innocence. I wasn't there.

So again...

"Cops should be able to beat your ass until you are done resisting...
All blows sustained until you are down and not resisting are fair. If you are down and not moving, any further beating is brutality."

This statement stands.

KRL
12-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Plus this is the shit that happens when you fuck yourself up with PCP.

No one is to blame except that guy who put himself in that situation.

I forget the exact stat, but I think its something like 1 cop gets killed in the US every 2 days while on duty. So you have to imagine they are ultra paranoid with all the whackos and guns on the streets and know if they ask questions first, its them that will get killed.

slavdogg
12-01-2003, 04:50 PM
he charged the cop, surprise he didnt get shot.

BradShaw
12-01-2003, 04:54 PM
I would have kept beating him after he stopped breathing. He got what he deserved. He fought the law, and the law won.

JR
12-01-2003, 05:01 PM
i pulled a gun on a guy who pulled a knife on me.

he charged me screaming "shoot me, shoot me... you dont have the balls"

i hit him on head with the gun really hard.

he collapse on me and we briefly fell to the floor.

he started trying to get the gun.

at that point i realized that if you pull a gun out, you better pull the trigger... or that gun might be what kills you.

... now imagine being a cop. you have a gun. even if its in it holster thats enough to worry that the attacker may wrestle it from you and shoot you with it. when you get attacked, you have to assume the attacker has the worst intentions. you can't just take a "wait and see" approach.

fuck that guy. he attacked police. plain and simple. he would not stop resisting... they SHOULD beat him unconscious or until he stop resisting. what are they supposed to do? try to hand him a balloon and sing Kumbaya and hope he stops?

if they beat him AFTER he has stopped resisting, thats another story entirely.

slavdogg
12-01-2003, 05:04 PM
hey isnt being a 400lb fat ass considered a deadly weapon in itself ?

jimmyf
12-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by BradShaw@Dec 1 2003, 02:02 PM
I would have kept beating him after he stopped breathing. He got what he deserved. He fought the law, and the law won.
:rokk: