PDA

View Full Version : Anti drunk-driving laws

CDSmith
12-01-2003, 09:26 AM
The province of Manitoba, Canada, has prided itself for a couple of decades now on having some of the toughest drunk-driving laws in the world. As of this morning, those laws just got tougher....... they are announcing on the radio that 1st-time offenders who have caused any sort of collision, or bodily harm or loss of life, will have their vehicles fitted with a breathalyzer-like device. The driver will have to blow into the device and pass the blood-alcohol test before the vehicle will start.

The thing I'm not sure about is.... what is to stop these people from having others do the "blowing" for them? I'm attempting to find the answer to that, haven't found the newsarticle yet.

No matter how tough the anti drunk-driving laws get, they never seem quite tough enough do they? Especially if you've had a few run-ins with drunk drivers in the past or had friends/family who were killed by them.... like me.

Carrie
12-01-2003, 09:29 AM
CD hopefully if the car owner can't blow a low enough test to start the car, the sober friend that he'd have blow into it would know better than to let him drive.
It's one thing to *think* that your buddy is sober enough to drive, it's another to have an impartial machine tell you for sure.

Peaches
12-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by CDSmith@Dec 1 2003, 10:34 AM
The thing I'm not sure about is.... what is to stop these people from having others do the "blowing" for them? I'm attempting to find the answer to that, haven't found the newsarticle yet.
One would hope that if there is someone attempting to drive who can't start the breathalyzer and someone who CAN start the car with the breathalyzer, the one who CAN start it is sober enough to make the decision to drive. Unless there was a gun to the head of the sober person, and since there aren't any guns in Canada.... :awinky:

CDSmith
12-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Dec 1 2003, 08:37 AM
CD hopefully if the car owner can't blow a low enough test to start the car, the sober friend that he'd have blow into it would know better than to let him drive.
It's one thing to *think* that your buddy is sober enough to drive, it's another to have an impartial machine tell you for sure.
Agreed, but since when are most people in a bar that responsible? I've known plenty of people that would cheat anything like that in a heartbeat... just because. They are probably the same people who think nothing of running a key down the side of your new car just for kicks too.

With the issue of drunk-driving, there is no room for "hopefully...".

Peaches
12-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by CDSmith@Dec 1 2003, 10:43 AM
No, but there's "Doing everything we can". :(

I think the breathalyzer is an EXCELLENT idea and I'd love to see it in the states. I suspect there are many drunk drivers who don't REALIZE they're legally drunk.

FATPad
12-01-2003, 09:39 AM
People will be standing around bars selling their breathalyzer results when the bars close. Gimme $20, I'll blow in your breathalyzer and let ya drive home.

I don't understand why they don't just take your license away for a year.

Peaches
12-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by FATPad@Dec 1 2003, 10:47 AM
Because people will still drive w/o a license. I'd love them to impound the cars, but I'm sure the ACLU would figure out a way to nip that idea in the bud. :angry:

FATPad
12-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Dec 1 2003, 06:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Dec 1 2003, 06:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--FATPad@Dec 1 2003, 10:47 AM
Because people will still drive w/o a license. I'd love them to impound the cars, but I'm sure the ACLU would figure out a way to nip that idea in the bud. :angry:[/b][/quote]
True. But the penalty should still be there. If you're busted driving without a license while it's suspended for drunk driving, it's time for jail.

Actually, I think anyone who kills someone or causes bodily harm while driving drunk even if it's their 1st offense should be in jail.

Chong's in jail for selling bongs. Or is it Cheech? One of them. But a 1st time drunk driver who kills someone can still drive?

I love living in the US, but sometimes it makes no sense.

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 09:58 AM
My aunt has one on her car, and she does have others blow into it.

sarah_webinc
12-01-2003, 10:01 AM
well my husband is forever disabled because of a drunk driver so really whatever they can do the better and frankly I don't care if they ban the drivers for life on their first charge.

Carrie
12-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 10:06 AM
Have you ever notified the police or the DMV about this?
If not, why not?

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Carrie+Dec 1 2003, 07:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Carrie @ Dec 1 2003, 07:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 10:06 AM
If not, why not?[/b][/quote]

I dont know about where you are from, but we never rat out family.

ever.

sarah_webinc
12-01-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 07:14 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 07:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Carrie@Dec 1 2003, 07:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 10:06 AM
If not, why not?

ever.[/b][/quote]
when she kills someone or herself you might wish you had or atleast talked to her about it.

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by sarah_webinc+Dec 1 2003, 07:17 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarah_webinc @ Dec 1 2003, 07:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by -Carrie@Dec 1 2003, 07:11 AM
If not, why not?

ever.
when she kills someone or herself you might wish you had or atleast talked to her about it.[/b][/quote]

You are telling that to someone who got hit by a drunk driver when I was 16. I had two fingers chopped off and re-attached, all the tendons on the back of my left hand severed, and several crushed disk. Took 2 years of physical therapy to get my hand back to normal. I do not drink and drive, nor do I have any love for people who drink and drive.

If she kills herself, thats her fault. I do not shed a tear for idiots who kill themselves.

Last edited by [Labret] at Dec 1 2003, 07:23 AM

Winetalk.com
12-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 10:22 AM
I do not shed a tear for idiots who kill themselves.
I know...I read your posts about suicide bombers
;-)))

KRL
12-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Good. I've had two near accidents with drunk drivers that ran red lights.

CDSmith
12-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Dec 1 2003, 08:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Dec 1 2003, 08:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--CDSmith@Dec 1 2003, 10:43 AM
No, but there's "Doing everything we can". :([/b][/quote]
No no, I was referring to the human nature aspect of that comment. What I meant was.... "hopefully people will do the right thing".... has no meaning when it comes to this issue. It is already statistically proven that people will in fact NOT do the right thing, and after they go out and fucking kill someone they will have their lawyer say "Well, they were drunk so their judgement was IMPAIRED, so they aren't guilty"....... no, people definitely can't be trusted to "do the right thing".... so the phrase "Hopefully....." simply has no place in this issue.

There IS no "hopefully..".

Yes, dicking around with such devices may prove to be a huge waste of time and the taxpayer's money......but I am behind anything that saves lives from these asshole drunk drivers.

Peaches
12-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 11:22 AM
If she kills herself, thats her fault. I do not shed a tear for idiots who kill themselves.
Unfortunately as you've experienced, it's rarely just the drunk driver who gets hurt/killed.

I find it interesting that you call her an idiot, don't care if she dies, but won't "rat" her out in order to save others from her idiocy. :zoinks:

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Dec 1 2003, 07:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Dec 1 2003, 07:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately as you've experienced, it's rarely just the drunk driver who gets hurt/killed.

I find it interesting that you call her an idiot, don't care if she dies, but won't "rat" her out in order to save others from her idiocy. :zoinks:[/b][/quote]

I got family members who have done some seriously stupid shit, but... I will die before I rat out family. And they would do the same for me.

You are asking me for compassion about her potential victims? The only thing I can hope for is she hits a minvan packed full of republicans on the way BushCon 04. Then she would be a martyr and I would put her face on posters and coffee mugs.

Last edited by [Labret] at Dec 1 2003, 07:56 AM

Torone
12-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 09:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 09:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Peaches@Dec 1 2003, 07:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 11:22 AM

I find it interesting that you call her an idiot, don't care if she dies, but won't "rat" her out in order to save others from her idiocy. :zoinks:

I got family members who have done some seriously stupid shit, but... I will die before I rat out family. And they would do the same for me.

You are asking me for compassion about her potential victims? The only thing I can hope for is she hits a minvan packed full of republicans on the way BushCon 04. Then she would be a martyr and I would put her face on posters and coffee mugs.[/b][/quote]
Drunk driving resulting in a fatal accident should be classified as capital murder on the grounds that the death was the result of a felony act. Further, people who knowingly contributed to the DWI (such as not 'ratting out family') should be prosecuted as accessories before the fact.

Last edited by Torone at Dec 1 2003, 10:06 AM

Winetalk.com
12-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 10:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 10:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Peaches@Dec 1 2003, 07:50 AM

You are asking me for compassion about her potential victims? The only thing I can hope for is she hits a minvan packed full of republicans on the way BushCon 04. Then she would be a martyr and I would put her face on posters and coffee mugs.[/b][/quote]
Republicans before the Zionists?

you making progress!

Is that Oprano influence?
;_)))

Carrie
12-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 10:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 10:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -sarah_webinc@Dec 1 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by -[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 07:14 AM
If not, why not?

ever.
when she kills someone or herself you might wish you had or atleast talked to her about it.

You are telling that to someone who got hit by a drunk driver when I was 16. I had two fingers chopped off and re-attached, all the tendons on the back of my left hand severed, and several crushed disk. Took 2 years of physical therapy to get my hand back to normal. I do not drink and drive, nor do I have any love for people who drink and drive.

If she kills herself, thats her fault. I do not shed a tear for idiots who kill themselves.[/b][/quote]
Yet another piece of proof that all of the education in the world cannot give a person common sense.

Perhaps you'll get lucky and YOU will be the person your aunt kills, that way it will be a victimless crime.

Peaches
12-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Dec 1 2003, 12:12 PM
Perhaps you'll get lucky and YOU will be the person your aunt kills, that way it will be a victimless crime.
Yeah, I guess it would be nice to pick and choose victims of other idiots, but to date, I've not seen it work in reality. :( The minivan she hits could be filled with Labret's family and other loved ones.

CDSmith
12-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 09:56 AM
The only thing I can hope for is she hits a minvan packed full of republicans on the way BushCon 04. Then she would be a martyr and I would put her face on posters and coffee mugs.
Now THAT'S the [Lab rat] I know and love, and have missed from the otherwise-mindless vortex known as GFY.
:yowsa:

Perhaps you'll get lucky and YOU will be the person your aunt kills, that way it will be a victimless crime.I.. I think I just came. Beautifully said Carrie, beautifully delivered.

CDSmith
12-01-2003, 11:15 AM
All joking aside........ With respect to repeat offenders, in my opinion the punishment can never be too harsh. If you're stopped and found drunk a secont time, your license is gone, period, and you go to jail for a long time, period. If you lose your fucking job/house/wife/kids as a result of going to jail, so much the better. If you kill someone while driving drunk, you should be gone for life.

sarah_webinc
12-01-2003, 11:15 AM
well sometimes they hit lefties llike my husband ..if you were hit yourself and wouldn't take a second of your time to try to stop that from happening to another person then really I think you have misguided loyalties.

Peaches
12-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by CDSmith@Dec 1 2003, 12:23 PM
All joking aside........ With respect to repeat offenders, in my opinion the punishment can never be too harsh. If you're stopped and found drunk a secont time, your license is gone, period, and you go to jail for a long time, period. If you lose your fucking job/house/wife/kids as a result of going to jail, so much the better. If you kill someone while driving drunk, you should be gone for life.
Agreed.

DrGuile
12-01-2003, 11:36 AM
I think the laws in quebec are thougher.

Just getting caught over the alchool limit, for a first offense, without any kind of accident of harm to other, will get you your license suspended, your car towed, and a criminal record.

Thats fine by me.

CDSmith
12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Dec 1 2003, 10:44 AM

Just getting caught over the alchool limit, for a first offense, without any kind of accident of harm to other, will get you your license suspended, your car towed, and a criminal record.

Thats fine by me.
Manitoba's are at the very least equal to that, but MPIC has been saying for years that our DD'ing laws are the toughest in Canada.

Nice to see other areas following suit though.

Trev
12-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Dec 1 2003, 06:44 PM

Thats fine by me.
Being caught over the limit is enough for a court date over here and 7 times out of 10 you'll be banned for about three months. Being twice over the limit will get you between 12 and 24 months. Three times over the limit and it's the judges discretion minimum of 28 months maximum of 5 years. Repeat offenders are hammered even harder.

Causing an injury now comes under the "reckless endangerment of life" charge and carries up to 6 years in jail. Causing a death is now "death by reckless driving while impeded by alcohol/drugs" and carries the same penalties as manslaughter.

The funny thing is that most people don't even know that they can be in a bar drinking, go home in a cab, get a good night sleep, wake up and have a hearty breakfast and still be over the limit when they go to pick up their car.

DrGuile
12-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Dec 1 2003, 12:16 PM
The funny thing is that most people don't even know that they can be in a bar drinking, go home in a cab, get a good night sleep, wake up and have a hearty breakfast and still be over the limit when they go to pick up their car.
That would be REALLY heavy drinking ;)

Do you have some figures?

cherrylula
12-01-2003, 12:39 PM
They have those breathalizer machines in some of the clubs out here, and you'd think they would have them more but not the case.

Then they probably wouldn't sell as much booze.

Trev
12-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile+Dec 1 2003, 07:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ Dec 1 2003, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Trev@Dec 1 2003, 12:16 PM

Do you have some figures?[/b][/quote]
You'd be very surprised at what needs to be drunk in order to remain over the limit the next day. We have our alcohol divided up into 'units' here and they are as follows:

Beer/Lager 5% Lac vol. - 2.8 units per pint
Super strength lager 9% alc vol - 4 units per pint
Champagne 12% alc vol - 1.5 units per 125ml glass
White wine 12% alc vol - 1.5 units per 125ml glass
Red wine 12% alc vol - 1.5 units per 125ml glass
Port 20% alc vol - 1 unit per 50ml glass
Sherry 17.5% alc vol - 0.9 units per 50ml glass
Vermouth 15% alc vol - 0.8 units per 50ml glass
Brandy 40% alc vol - 1 units per 25ml shot
Rum 37.5% alc vol - 0.9 units per 25ml shot
Vodka 37.5% alc vol - 0.9 units per 25ml shot
Whisky/Bourbon 40% alc vol - 1 unit per 25ml shot
Gin 37.5% alc vol - 0.9 units per 25ml shot
Alcopops 5% alc vol - 1.7 units per 330ml bottle
Regular cider 5% alc vol - 2.8 units per pint
Strong cider 8.5% alc vol - 2.3 units per 275ml bottle

It takes 1 hour for a unit of alcohol to be absorbed fully into the body and a further hour - hour and a half for the liver to remove it so that’s two - two and a half hours minimum before that unit is gone. Say you have 6 beers it would take 13 - 19 hours for them units of alcohol to be removed. It only takes two units to be over the limit here so after 13 hours you would still be over, 19 hours should make you safe beyond doubt.

Even if you drank all 6 beers within an hour your body can only process one unit at a time so the rest get queued ready for the old liver to burn up.

Nothing can be done to remove the alcohol faster either so don't be fooled into thinking you can sleep it off as you can't. Nor will food or fluids help. Vomiting doesn't help either as alcohol passes straight through your stomach and into your intestine where it is absorbed into the blood stream. There's only one way to get alcohol out of your body and that’s for the liver to go to work on it.
:zoinks:

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Torone+Dec 1 2003, 08:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Torone @ Dec 1 2003, 08:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by -Peaches@Dec 1 2003, 07:50 AM

You are asking me for compassion about her potential victims? The only thing I can hope for is she hits a minvan packed full of republicans on the way BushCon 04. Then she would be a martyr and I would put her face on posters and coffee mugs.
Drunk driving resulting in a fatal accident should be classified as capital murder on the grounds that the death was the result of a felony act. Further, people who knowingly contributed to the DWI (such as not 'ratting out family') should be prosecuted as accessories before the fact.[/b][/quote]

I agree.

Lets see how quick your ignorant shit gets shot down when bartenders, bar owners, and stores that sell alcohol become liable.

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Dec 1 2003, 08:07 AM

you making progress!

;_)))

Is there a difference? Republicans are Zionists.

Winetalk.com
12-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 01:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Dec 1 2003, 08:07 AM

you making progress!

;_)))

Is there a difference? Republicans are Zionists.[/b][/quote]
don't play ignorant on me,
you KNOW that 85% of the Jews support Democratic party...

Buff
12-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 09:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 09:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -sarah_webinc@Dec 1 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by -[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 07:14 AM
If not, why not?

ever.

If she kills herself, thats her fault. I do not shed a tear for idiots who kill themselves.[/b][/quote]
We were just THAT close to having you incapable of posting on a message board. ;)

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Dec 1 2003, 10:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Dec 1 2003, 10:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 01:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Dec 1 2003, 08:07 AM

you making progress!

;_)))

Is there a difference? Republicans are Zionists.
don't play ignorant on me,
you KNOW that 85% of the Jews support Democratic party...[/b][/quote]

ahhhh and therein lies one of my favorite issues.

Republicans fucking hate everything Jews have been involved in (everything from communism to civil rights to womens suffrage), but they have to support Israel as evangelical xtianity forces them to. It seriously gives me a hardon.

You dont need to tell me about the influence of Jews on the left, I love every stinking fucking minute of it. Sociology, remember?

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 01:45 PM
and not all Jews are Zionists slappy.

http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news/20...996_comment.php (http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news/2003/10/73996_comment.php)

Last edited by [Labret] at Dec 1 2003, 10:54 AM

Winetalk.com
12-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by [Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 01:51 PM

Republicans fucking hate everything Jews have been involved in (everything from communism to civil rights to womens suffrage), but they have to support Israel as evangelical xtianity forces them to. It seriously gives me a hardon.

You dont need to tell me about the influence of Jews on the left, I love every stinking fucking minute of it. Sociology, remember?
Very good point...but...it's lost on the deaf ears of thie Jew Republican to whom your arguments doesn't apply
;-)))

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Dec 1 2003, 10:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Dec 1 2003, 10:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 01:51 PM

Very good point...but...it's lost on the deaf ears of thie Jew Republican to whom your arguments doesn't apply
;-)))[/b][/quote]
You calling yourself a Jew is as funny as me calling myself a Jain.

Winetalk.com
12-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by [Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 01:53 PM
and not all Jews are Zionists slappy.

http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news/20...996_comment.php (http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news/2003/10/73996_comment.php)
..and I see you clearly wearing fur hat, peices, tsisis and participating in this demonstration!

I'll pay $1000 for the pic, and I am serious as a hard on the anticipation of this pic gives me
;-)))

take my money!
;-)))

Winetalk.com
12-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 01:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Dec 1 2003, 10:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 01:51 PM

;-)))
You calling yourself a Jew is as funny as me calling myself a Jain.[/b][/quote]
what's so funny?
I was circumsized at teh age of 32, in Lubavitchie synagoge in Brooklyn, with Rabbi Shneerzon present.
wanna see the picture?

PornoDoggy
12-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile+Dec 1 2003, 12:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ Dec 1 2003, 12:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Trev@Dec 1 2003, 12:16 PM

Do you have some figures?[/b][/quote]
I got a DWI in 1982 at 2:30 in the morning. I blew a very healthy score that put me at about 3 1/2 times the then-legal limit in California.

At 7:30 that night a buddy of mine took me down to the shore patrol office and gave me another breath test to prove a point. I had not had a drink since approximately 2:00 a.m. - 17 hours later.

I was only double the legal limit. Had I taken the original test 2-3 later I probably would have been taken to the hospital.

The DWI was a sort of "wakeup call" to me. I couldn't bear the thought that I might hurt someone other than myself - so I sold my car (most people might have considered quitting drinking instead, but, hey, it made sense at the time). I repeated this process a number of times in the subsequent 11 years (before I took my last drink) - whenever I decided I could "handle it" again, I got rid of the car, because no matter what kind of game I was running on myself I knew that me + keys + booze = disaster.

Like I said, about 11 years later I figured out another solution. I quit drinking.

Hey, I'm a slow learner.

Buff
12-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Well done, PD.

Now let's hope that since you quit drinking, eventually your mind will clear and you'll stop being a liberal! :D :D :D

PornoDoggy
12-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Buff@Dec 1 2003, 02:16 PM
Well done, PD.

Now let's hope that since you quit drinking, eventually your mind will clear and you'll stop being a liberal! :D :D :D
I was a liberal before I started drinking.

I am a liberal now that I no longer drink.

About the only chance for me to become a conservative is to start drinking again. I need a bunch of alcohol in my brain to quit thinking ... :nyanya:

TheEnforcer
12-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of drunk drivers but I'm gonna be a party pooper here and probably piss off a lot of people but the "war" against drunk driving will never stop until these people make sure you don't have Scope on your breath and drive. Well over half of the states have gone to a .08 standard now and there are states that are even now trying to push .06. Next stop will be an absolute ban. They are making it criminal to go to dinner and have a glass of wine or beer for crying out loud. The changes were forced on the states by blackmail by the feds.

The average BAC of a person involved in an accident is 1.6%

The answer isn't to legislate this stuff away cause it won't go away no matter how hard you try. The key is a societal change in how people view drinking, so instead of drinking to get drunk people are more responsible about drinking and drink in much mopre moderation.

[Labret]
12-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Dec 1 2003, 11:54 AM

The answer isn't to legislate this stuff away cause it won't go away no matter how hard you try. The key is a societal change in how people view drinking, so instead of drinking to get drunk people are more responsible about drinking and drink in much mopre moderation.

Hey, fuck you and your common sense!

Diamond Jim
12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 02:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 02:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--TheEnforcer@Dec 1 2003, 11:54 AM

Hey, fuck you and your common sense![/b][/quote]
Actually, the key is for liberals to propose a "free limo" to anyone out on the town drinking...

Fair is fair and if Paris Hilton gets a chauffeur, I want one, too!

CDSmith
12-01-2003, 05:37 PM
Sorry, how hard is it to take a cab after you've been drinking? You pick up a phone, dial a #, have another drink while you're waiting, then get driven home. If you plan on having a drink when you're out, then take a fucking cab to wherever it is you're going. If you can't afford cab fare, then either find a pub within walking distance or stay the fuck home.

Driving test after driving test has confirmed that even after a FEW drinks many people's senses become impaired (to different degrees). If slamming the shit out of some repeat offenders saves some lives, it's worth it.

Sorry, if alcohol has touched your lips, just don't fucking drive. That's the way it is.

And the legal limit in Manitoba has always been .08 for as long as I can remember this being an issue.

TheEnforcer
12-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by [Labret]+Dec 1 2003, 02:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([Labret] @ Dec 1 2003, 02:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--TheEnforcer@Dec 1 2003, 11:54 AM

Hey, fuck you and your common sense![/b][/quote]
Hehehe.. sorry it's the Oprano in me! :D

evildick
12-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Around here the breathalyzers they hook into your ignition require you to blow every 10 or 15 minutes or so while you are driving. If you don't blow then you get lights and sirens going off and your engine shuts off.

You also have to hum into it for a few seconds so they know you just don't have an air compressor hooked up to it.

How's that for a first post? Howdy folks!

:hic:

Torone
12-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by [Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 12:42 PM
I agree.

Lets see how quick your ignorant shit gets shot down when bartenders, bar owners, and stores that sell alcohol become liable.
(1) I neither sell nor use alcohol
(2) In most states, bars are already held responsible

Last edited by Torone at Dec 4 2003, 07:23 AM

Peaches
12-04-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Torone+Dec 4 2003, 09:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Torone @ Dec 4 2003, 09:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--[Labret]@Dec 1 2003, 12:42 PM
I agree.

(1) I neither drink nor use alcohol
(2) In most states, bars are already held responsible[/b][/quote]
In addition, many hosts of private parties are responsible in some states - including a corporation if they hold a company party.