PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve!

Mike AI
11-13-2003, 10:27 AM
I have a pet peeve, it is when Webmasters who are on my ICQ list send out bulk ICQs. I get them at least one a week.

The latest from Evil Chris linking to his webmaster board to the topic about cross sales coming to an end.

I think it is very tacky to do this. ICQ is a little more private then e-mail, I only let certain people on my ICQ list. If they abuse it by sending out spam ICQs, it breaks a certain trust.

So my new policy is, if someone spams my ICQ, I gov over and delete their account!!

Forest
11-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Nov 13 2003, 10:35 AM
I have a pet peeve, it is when Webmasters who are on my ICQ list send out bulk ICQs. I get them at least one a week.

The latest from Evil Chris linking to his webmaster board to the topic about cross sales coming to an end.

I think it is very tacky to do this. ICQ is a little more private then e-mail, I only let certain people on my ICQ list. If they abuse it by sending out spam ICQs, it breaks a certain trust.

So my new policy is, if someone spams my ICQ, I gov over and delete their account!!
Mike

i agree

I have deleted several people from my list for this exact reason

fucking hate that shit

Thanx for posting about it

Mike AI
11-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Thing is Forest, I do not mind spam in my mailbox, I expect it....

And on ICQ if it was something EARTH shaking, or very important/interesting I think I would be fine. But to stupid link on another chatboard??

:headwall:

Peaches
11-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Thankfully, I only have a few folks on my ICQ. :) Can you remove their username when it happens? Then they couldn't contact you again until you approved them. :P

Forest
11-13-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Nov 13 2003, 10:44 AM
Thing is Forest, I do not mind spam in my mailbox, I expect it....

And on ICQ if it was something EARTH shaking, or very important/interesting I think I would be fine. But to stupid link on another chatboard??

:headwall:
Exactly

firehorse does that all the time

i like the guy but pulled him from my list because of it

If I see an ICQ i think its important

not some lame link

sarah_webinc
11-13-2003, 11:15 AM
i don't really mind it for radio show reminders as I always forget but I do sort of mind those people that never ever icq me except for when it is a mass message. Pretty much they asked to get on my contact list just to spam me.

FATPad
11-13-2003, 11:17 AM
I've had to delete a few people because of it, too. Very annoying.

Mike AI
11-13-2003, 11:23 AM
It is nice to see I was not crazy, and that other people share the same view of ICQ spam as I do!

VooMan
11-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Slightly off topic, but reminds me of a story ya'll might have experienced at one time or another...

My sister LOVES the internet. She reads every spam she gets and she forwards every single joke or heartwarming story she receives. I think she actually believes that "send this to ten people in five minutes or you will die a violent death" garbage. Well, it got to a point where I was getting about 10 jokes/stories a day from her and the last one hit me at the wrong time... I was having a bad day and I got yet another "too funny! you have to read this!" to which I replied:

Look, I don't know if the 50 people you cc all these emails to get as pissed off as I do, but for Christ's sake I make a living on my computer. I get about 500 spams a day as it is, so either take me out of your "forward this crap to everyone I know" list or I'm going to dev null you altogether!

Definitely out of character for me to get so nasty, but this went on for months. Funny thing is, she's on her computer all the time and the only time we talk is on the phone. Email would be so much easier, but I think she only knows where the "forward" button is. haha

Mike AI
11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by VooMan@Nov 13 2003, 11:48 AM
Slightly off topic, but reminds me of a story ya'll might have experienced at one time or another...

My sister LOVES the internet. She reads every spam she gets and she forwards every single joke or heartwarming story she receives. I think she actually believes that "send this to ten people in five minutes or you will die a violent death" garbage. Well, it got to a point where I was getting about 10 jokes/stories a day from her and the last one hit me at the wrong time... I was having a bad day and I got yet another "too funny! you have to read this!" to which I replied:

Look, I don't know if the 50 people you cc all these emails to get as pissed off as I do, but for Christ's sake I make a living on my computer. I get about 500 spams a day as it is, so either take me out of your "forward this crap to everyone I know" list or I'm going to dev null you altogether!

Definitely out of character for me to get so nasty, but this went on for months. Funny thing is, she's on her computer all the time and the only time we talk is on the phone. Email would be so much easier, but I think she only knows where the "forward" button is. haha

Voo, I had the same problem with my Granny.

She and all of her elderly friends do nothing but send each other stupid e-mails.... many filled with viruses. I have tried over and over again to teach her not to click on things, but she does it anyway.

I have her trained not to send me garabage.... and I have Ed go fix her computer when it gets loaded up with viri!

I love her, and am proud she uses the net though!!

TeenGodFather
11-13-2003, 11:54 AM
I have 200+ people on my contact list, and I have no fucking idea who they are.. so everytime someone spams me they get the boot.

VooMan
11-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Mike,

That's great that your grandmother uses the internet. My mother won't even go near a computer. Hell, whenever she visits me I come home from work and she's watching static on the TV because she changed the TV channel instead of the cable box and can't figure out what's wrong.

I've got Tivo now... God help me next time she visits! hahaha

Fletch XXX
11-13-2003, 12:15 PM
pweople ICQ spam me all the time to come to their boards and shit like that.

i loose ANY respect if I had any in the first place for them.

for the simplke fact, they have to go to my portfolio page, get my icq and then spam me, or they got it because they own a program I hit them up once and then they mass spam me.

worthless whores is all they are.

id literally spit on them if I could.

Evil Chris
11-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Poor Mike got an ICQ from Evil Chris....

I have sent to "multiple users" on my ICQ maybe 4 times since I first installed ICQ... and I have a 6 digit ICQ.

What's more it was a very relevant subject from someone who has been in this business as long as you. So stop your boo hooing already.

Trev
11-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 13 2003, 09:00 PM

I have sent to "multiple users" on my ICQ maybe 4 times since I first installed ICQ... and I have a 6 digit ICQ.

What's more it was a very relevant subject from someone who has been in this business as long as you. So stop your boo hooing already.
would you post the link because I'd like to check it out.

Forest
11-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 13 2003, 02:00 PM

spamer
:lol:

brand0n
11-13-2003, 02:11 PM
i have 2 people on my list, and i wont mention them, but they know who they are. all they send me is links. no hello, no whats up, no fuck off. nothing

Mike AI
11-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 13 2003, 02:00 PM

It was a relevant issue, but one that had been discussed already on every board.

You were doing it to get action to your board.... but its ok Chris, I still like you, your just not on my ICQ list anymore.

Hope you did not spend to much money on that 6 digit ICQ number! :lol:

kath
11-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by VooMan@Nov 13 2003, 08:48 AM

My mom used to do that - but she would cc the world all in one email. So then I started getting emails from all her friends, and all their friends...

I finally sent out a mass mailing asking these people to do two things.

#1 - TAKE ME OFF YOUR ADDRESS BOOKS!

#2 - I gave them instructions on how you use the BCC tool so they wouldn't spread their friends' email addresses all over the 'Net.

I got back a lot of thank you's... one f-you... and I never received another email again. One lady even wrote to say that her grandson was impressed that she was able to use the BCC - lol

My mom doesn't even send me jokes anymore - I felt bad about being so blunt about it too - but I'm thankful today that I spoke up and said something.

:yowsa:

Evil Chris
11-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Nov 13 2003, 03:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Nov 13 2003, 03:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Nov 13 2003, 02:00 PM

It was a relevant issue, but one that had been discussed already on every board.

You were doing it to get action to your board.... but its ok Chris, I still like you, your just not on my ICQ list anymore.

Hope you did not spend to much money on that 6 digit ICQ number! :lol:[/b][/quote]
It might have been discussed on other boards, but not in the way some of the information came out this morning on xnations.

I like you too Mike. I'll give Billy a big wet one this weekend and tell him to pass it on to you.

(... more. "To get action on my board" ? LOL ... don't get me started!)

Last edited by Evil Chris at Nov 13 2003, 04:02 PM

Mike AI
11-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 13 2003, 03:00 PM

I like you too Mike. I'll give Billy a big wet one this weekend and tell him to pass it on to you.

Hmmmmm now you are turning me on!

:P

gonzo
11-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris+Nov 13 2003, 03:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Chris @ Nov 13 2003, 03:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Mike AI@Nov 13 2003, 03:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Nov 13 2003, 02:00 PM

Hope you did not spend to much money on that 6 digit ICQ number! :lol:
It might have been discussed on other boards, but not in the way some of the information came out this morning on xnations.

(... more. "To get action on my board" ? LOL ... don't get me started!)[/b][/quote]
I can get you more action to your board.

Hell Puppy
11-13-2003, 07:52 PM
I suspect good time management is one the largest battles all of us face. I also suspect email and ICQs drain a lot of that from all of us. It's a necessary evil because that's how we all communicate with one another.

Email has already become quite a chore just to find the real mails hidden among all the spam. SpamAssassin, et al, helps, but the spammers work around the algorithms and filters as quick as you can update 'em.

ICQ is ground that is reserved for those people you want to be able to communicate with instantly anytime, and it should be respected. Anyone puts junkmail on mine and they're removed. I just dont have the time for it.

Billy
11-13-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey.. I have a 7 digit ICQ !!

I am going to be looking for that wet one !!