PDA

View Full Version : Just got Spammed by Acacia

Paul Markham
11-11-2003, 07:29 AM
All it was is a PDF file telling me that it's my last chance to get their introductory rates.

Well isn't unsolicited emailing illegal in California?

The California Anti-Spam Statute:

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/antispam.html

So would one of you bright guys give me the email address where I forward this to?

http://caag.state.ca.us/spam/

caspam@doj.ca.gov

There you go, sraight to the departement of justice,

Anyone who gets one can send it here, let's see if Acacia have not given us the nails for their coffin.

spazlabz
11-11-2003, 07:32 AM
LOL there has to be some kind of legal loophole that allows them to do this.............there just has to be. Even the Acacia lawyers couldn't be so dense as to not know spamming is illegal, ESP in cali for crying out loud!

spaz

Carrie
11-11-2003, 09:08 AM
"The Attorney General's Office is looking for examples of spam e-mails being sent to consumers in violation of California law, particularly from persons operating in California."

Now this is some interesting stuff. Let us know what the AG's office says!
I'm sure Acacia's defense will be that these emails shouldn't be considered 'spam' as they are not selling anything but instead just protecting their patent.

Winetalk.com
11-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Nov 11 2003, 09:16 AM
"The Attorney General's Office is looking for examples of spam e-mails being sent to consumers in violation of California law, particularly from persons operating in California."

I'm sure Acacia's defense will be that these emails shouldn't be considered 'spam' as they are not selling anything but instead just protecting their patent.
UNSOLICITED BULK MAIL definition doesn't include anything about selling...

ulfie
11-11-2003, 11:22 AM
As long as they give you the ability to opt-out they are not violating current CA law. The new law doesn't go into effect until next year year.

Carrie
11-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Nov 11 2003, 09:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Nov 11 2003, 09:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Carrie@Nov 11 2003, 09:16 AM

UNSOLICITED BULK MAIL definition doesn't include anything about selling...[/b][/quote]
In that broad term, no it doesn't. But spam is defined as being UCBE - unsolicited commercial bulk email.
P'raps the California law doesn't include the 'commercial' part in its definition; if not, it's an important omission that would allow them to even prosecute someone who sent out a funny joke en masse.