PDA

View Full Version : California, Land of the Free

Forest
11-11-2003, 02:26 AM
http://www.mindfully.org/Air/2003/Smokers-...ation9mar03.htm (http://www.mindfully.org/Air/2003/Smokers-Neighbors-Nation9mar03.htm)

as a Reformed smoker I hate the smell of cigarettes

BUT even this may be alittle over the top

Trev
11-11-2003, 05:11 AM
I went through this when I lived up in Vancouver.

Smoking is banned just about everywhere i.e. bars, clubs, restaurants even in the malls. So when you get home you would expect to be able to smoke. HA! not if your landlord is a non smoker...

We signed a no-smoking agreement basically to have somewhere to live but smoked anyway (plenty of those ambi-pure air freshners around the place) Even my non-smoking landlord couldn't tell we smoked when he came round and he did call around allot!

So I'm thinking to myself it's not the smoking thats the problem, it's the attitude that people give out when they smell smoke or see someone smoking.

I'm sure if my landlord saw me smoke he'd have thrown me out, same if he smelled it when he called round, but even though were smoking(1 1/2 packs a day back then) because he couldn't smell it there was no problem.

They've just banned smoking in my local mall (Yes Nick you were right) and I can only smoke in certain areas like coffee shop smoking tables. I was sitting in my local fix area the other day drinking coffee and smoking away and I thought it was so clever how my smoke knew not to go past the no smoking sign. Very clever indeed!

Anyway Forest you ex-smokers are the worst, I know my dad is one! :P

Forest
11-11-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Trev@Nov 11 2003, 05:19 AM
I went through this when I lived up in Vancouver.

Smoking is banned just about everywhere i.e. bars, clubs, restaurants even in the malls. So when you get home you would expect to be able to smoke. HA! not if your landlord is a non smoker...

We signed a no-smoking agreement basically to have somewhere to live but smoked anyway (plenty of those ambi-pure air freshners around the place) Even my non-smoking landlord couldn't tell we smoked when he came round and he did call around allot!

So I'm thinking to myself it's not the smoking thats the problem, it's the attitude that people give out when they smell smoke or see someone smoking.

I'm sure if my landlord saw me smoke he'd have thrown me out, same if he smelled it when he called round, but even though were smoking(1 1/2 packs a day back then) because he couldn't smell it there was no problem.

They've just banned smoking in my local mall (Yes Nick you were right) and I can only smoke in certain areas like coffee shop smoking tables. I was sitting in my local fix area the other day drinking coffee and smoking away and I thought it was so clever how my smoke knew not to go past the no smoking sign. Very clever indeed!

Anyway Forest you ex-smokers are the worst, I know my dad is one! :P
they let you into canada?

ill have to have a word with them when i get back

:agrin:

Yes I know we reformed smokers are the worst

Trev
11-11-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Forest@Nov 11 2003, 12:39 PM
All joking aside I've got nothing but respect for anyone that kicks the habbit :okthumb:

It's harder to kick than crack or heroine, so kudos :D

Forest
11-11-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Trev+Nov 11 2003, 05:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Nov 11 2003, 05:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Forest@Nov 11 2003, 12:39 PM
All joking aside I've got nothing but respect for anyone that kicks the habbit :okthumb:

It's harder to kick than crack or heroine, so kudos :D[/b][/quote]
Trev I quit smokeing in '96

and you are absolutly correct it was tougher for me then giving up coke or even drinking everday

and I was a B I T C H for weeks

hmm no difference then to now

:blink: :agrin:

and thanx for the kudos Im still proud of myself for kicking the habit

:okthumb:

Carrie
11-11-2003, 06:54 AM
This looks like the perfect spot to ask - why isn't smoking cigars considered "smoking"?
Forest anytime I see a pic of you, you've got a cigar. My Dad is the same way, only he smokes the cigarillos (they have less girth).
To me, it's still smoking but it seems like it isn't to a lot of people. I don't understand why?

And I concur - major congrats on kicking the cigarette habit!

Forest
11-11-2003, 06:59 AM
carrie

I LOVE a good cigar but only when im out to dinner or party

I never smoke em at home and dont inhale (yeah Me and Bill)

if i smoke 15 in a year thats a lot

and thanx I can Never hear that enough

was tough But Everyone should do it

SERGE!!!!!!!! SUE!!!!

just think of the effects of second hand smoke on poor sonja

eatapeach
11-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Nov 11 2003, 04:02 AM
This looks like the perfect spot to ask - why isn't smoking cigars considered "smoking"?

i've always wanted to smoke a cigar but the thought of it looking like a huge black penis in my mouth has always prevented me from lighting up.

:bwave:

Last edited by eatapeach at Nov 11 2003, 02:46 PM

cherrylula
11-11-2003, 09:59 AM
I really hate sitting at a red light and the person in the car next to you is smoking. Yuck. And I've had neighbors who smoke which is slightly annoying but luckily not close enough to blow in my windows.

The worst is people who throw their dirty fucking cigarette butts all over. That drives me fucking nuts. Dirty irresponsible smokers who smell bad and toss their trash all over have problems.

Even my friends who smoke don't like to stink like cigarettes all the time. But some people are fucking bad with that shit.

Peaches
11-11-2003, 10:25 AM
I quit smoking about 15 years ago and the VERY worst is coming home from a show and my clothes are so soaked in smoke, that my suitcase also smells. :(

cherrylula
11-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Nov 11 2003, 07:33 AM
I quit smoking about 15 years ago and the VERY worst is coming home from a show and my clothes are so soaked in smoke, that my suitcase also smells. :(
Yeah I have to admit I don't miss coming home from a club or bar when smoking was allowed and smelling bad.

Its more fun to go outside and smoke anyhow. I don't smoke but will exit a bar with friends who do.

Sharpie
11-11-2003, 10:47 AM
A hint to the smokers:

There are only 40 smoking rooms at the Hyatt Regency Islandia In San Diego. So if you smoke, you had best be one of the early ones when room reservations open up.

Of course, the rooms all have balconies or open corridors, to smoke outside the rooms.

Trev
11-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Nov 11 2003, 05:33 PM
A big congratulations to you for quitting as well :okthumb:

But I think nothing smells worse than a non-smoker :barfon: all soap smelling and fresh as a summers breaze lol

Peaches
11-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Trev+Nov 11 2003, 12:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Nov 11 2003, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Peaches@Nov 11 2003, 05:33 PM

But I think nothing smells worse than a non-smoker :barfon: all soap smelling and fresh as a summers breaze lol[/b][/quote]
Smarty pants. :P

I have to tell you, after I stopped smoking, I swear I can smell cigarette smell from a mile away. I'm very oversensitive regarding it - not sneezing or getting ill, just being able to smell it. Ask my kid how good I am at being able to tell if you've been smoking or just been where others have smoked. :nyanya:

Trev
11-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Nov 11 2003, 06:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Nov 11 2003, 06:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Trev@Nov 11 2003, 12:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Peaches@Nov 11 2003, 05:33 PM

But I think nothing smells worse than a non-smoker :barfon: all soap smelling and fresh as a summers breaze lol
Smarty pants. :P

I have to tell you, after I stopped smoking, I swear I can smell cigarette smell from a mile away. I'm very oversensitive regarding it - not sneezing or getting ill, just being able to smell it. Ask my kid how good I am at being able to tell if you've been smoking or just been where others have smoked. :nyanya:[/b][/quote]
I know what your talking about... When my good lady fell pregnant she decided to quit and I did also to be some support. 2 1/2 months without a smoke and I could smell it on all my friends, I was doing great until one day and BAM... hooked again, now I smoke outside... alone... in the rain... :(

I'm going to give it another shot though, I'd hate for my kid to be born and screw up it's face because dad smells like an ashtray

Like the advert for quitting here in the UK goes: "Don't give up, giving up"

baddog
11-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Nov 11 2003, 02:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Nov 11 2003, 02:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Forest@Nov 11 2003, 12:39 PM

It's harder to kick than crack or heroine, so kudos :D[/b][/quote]
well, I kicked two out of three from that list . . . . crack . . . well I would not even try it because it does not seem to be too easy to kick. I think it sounds like it is the toughest

Forest
11-11-2003, 02:07 PM
BIGGEST reason NOT to smoke when Pregnant

ME!

my mother smoked all the way thru and look how i turned out

:rolleyes: :blink:

kath
11-11-2003, 04:02 PM
California is always thought of as the laid-back cool place to hang... until you start seeing how things REALLY are. I'm just waiting for Ah-nold to outlaw Twinkies & sodas and put Gatorade & Nutribar vending machines @ the schools. lol

The no-smoking thing in California is bullshit and it's getting way out of hand. What's next?

I'm not a smoker... never have been... never will. I lived with smokers my whole life until 96 when hubby quit one day out of the blue after his 32 year-old brother suffered his 1st heart attack. He still dips the occassional Copenhagen, but things are really different. No smoke smell - decrease in ALL of our allergies... it's been nice. Can't wait until he gives it all up 100%.

:bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

Trev
11-12-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Forest@Nov 11 2003, 09:15 PM

ME!

Hahahaha :okthumb:

Toni's been clean since we found out we were with child, but with the hormones (I should say moans lol) I've had to light up again to keep a grip... I never realised how I relate certain things with smoking, things like after eating, after relations, while drinking, before breathing and so on...

:D

Forest
11-12-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Trev+Nov 12 2003, 03:02 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Nov 12 2003, 03:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Forest@Nov 11 2003, 09:15 PM

ME!

Toni's been clean since we found out we were with child, but with the hormones (I should say moans lol) I've had to light up again to keep a grip... I never realised how I relate certain things with smoking, things like after eating, after relations, while drinking, before breathing and so on...

:D[/b][/quote]
man u and i need to get together and raise some hell one day

dont know if the world can handle it though

:lol:

Trev
11-12-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Forest+Nov 12 2003, 11:28 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Forest @ Nov 12 2003, 11:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Trev@Nov 12 2003, 03:02 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Forest@Nov 11 2003, 09:15 PM

ME!

:D
man u and i need to get together and raise some hell one day

dont know if the world can handle it though

:lol:[/b][/quote]
Thats a must :okthumb:

slickrick
11-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Ya the CA smoking ban is BS in CA. I had a friend that just bought a bar in OC. Then the smoking ban went into effect at bars. Now booze and cigs just go together like a slice of cheese on your apple pie.

But it is the smokers fualt that, that happened, so they can't bitch about it. I am a smoker myself, and when voting day came I was there voting against it ban in bars. But is still passed in a land slide.

Also you can thank "MEAT HEAD" Rob Reiner for getting the tax on cigs so damn high that people quit. With his amendment to help children. I don't know what it is called, but his program raises funds with the cig tax to help children in their early years. If I remember what I read his program helps the children learn and love in their early years. his study states that a child will learn and abtain all their knowlage it at an early age.

Dont get me wrong its a great program, but it would only be fair to put a tax on something everyone uses. Indstead of just attacing the somkers. Put a 1 cent tax on every gallen of gas and use that money for your program Rob "MEAT HEAD" Reiner.

Also dont get me wrong smoking is unhealthy, but shouldn't it be the person to decide what is good and bad for that person.
I saw on the news that some state on the east. if your neighbors smoke came through your window, your neighbor would be fined/cited.

I don't live in CA any longer haven't for 2 years, not for the reason of the cigerette ban. I was born and raised in CA and lived there for 34 years. I can remember going to the grocery store with my mom when I was 5 or 6 and I can remember she smoked in the isles of the store, along with the many other people doing the same thing.

Thats my 3 cents LOL