PDA

View Full Version : Total Eclipse of the Moon

girlgeek
11-06-2003, 08:40 PM
There will be a lunar eclipse this weekend. Check out this site for timetables.

Night Sky Friday (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/lunar_eclipse_2_031031.html#stages)

Evil Chris
11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Excellent! I love this stuff. I'll try to take some photographs of it.
I hope the weather permits...

dirtyone
11-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Very cool indeed. I will be watching.

girlgeek
11-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 6 2003, 06:18 PM
If you do, will you post a couple of them? We won't get to see much of it on the West Coast.

Evil Chris
11-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by girlgeek+Nov 6 2003, 11:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (girlgeek @ Nov 6 2003, 11:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Nov 6 2003, 06:18 PM
If you do, will you post a couple of them? We won't get to see much of it on the West Coast.[/b][/quote]
If I manage to get a couple of good pics, I'll post them.
I'm still learning how to take proper time exposure pictures of the night sky.

nlphoto
11-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Correction... the eclipse is tomorrow, Saturday...

EC... use a tripod with a cable release, fast film (400 - 1000 ASA).
Do not use an exposure of more than about 30 seconds for maximum
sharpness... more than that and you will have blurring from the
earth's rotation...

XXXPhoto
11-08-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by nlphoto@Nov 7 2003, 09:09 PM
...more than that and you will have blurring from the
earth's rotation...
Indeed... and you kick yourself learning that the hard way... good tip!

girlgeek
11-08-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by nlphoto@Nov 7 2003, 09:09 PM
Correction... the eclipse is tomorrow, Saturday...

EC... use a tripod with a cable release, fast film (400 - 1000 ASA).
Do not use an exposure of more than about 30 seconds for maximum
sharpness... more than that and you will have blurring from the
earth's rotation...
Ooops! I guess I should have specified that, since the name of the site, Night Sky Friday, which contains the information is misleading. Thanks!

Carrie
11-08-2003, 04:46 AM
Another cool night sky photography opportunity:
"Leonids to peak mid-November
If clouds blot out Saturday's event, disappointed viewers won't have to wait long before the annual Leonid meteor shower arrives.

The shooting star display will peak first for viewers in western Asia, Indonesia and Australia before dawn on November 14th. For western Africa, western Europe, North America and western portions of South America, the display peaks a few days later, on November 19.

Viewers will be able to see 100 or so meteors per hour, some of them fireballs, said Stuart Levy of the Champaign-Urbana Astronomical Society in central Illinois.

Levy's views of spectacular Leonid showers during the past few years were ruined by clouds, but he'll be trying again this month.

"I've missed the best, when people were seeing hundreds of meteors an hour. If I see 100 an hour this time around I'll be happy. It might be a really good show, with luck," he said.

November 23 also will bring a total solar eclipse, although seeing it will require a bit of travel. It will be visible only in Antarctica. "

kath
11-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Well crap - no view out here in the desert. *pouts*

It's so damned overcast that I can't see a durned thing... usually this is the area where clouds come to die. We had blue skies all day and now this...

Hope someone posts pics - CNN isn't showing much... *kicks the telescope* Darn, darn, darn! :headwall:

girlgeek
11-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Same thing here in Vegas, Kath. It was clear all day, and then the clouds rolled in about a half hour before the eclipse was viewable here. Did anyone else see it?

gonzo
11-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by girlgeek@Nov 8 2003, 08:55 PM
Same thing here in Vegas, Kath. It was clear all day, and then the clouds rolled in about a half hour before the eclipse was viewable here. Did anyone else see it?
The clods will continue to roll in all the way till Jan.
Something wicked Vegas way comes.

dirtyone
11-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by girlgeek@Nov 8 2003, 05:55 PM
overcast all day here.

didn't see a thing

Carrie
11-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Did anyone get to see it and/or take pictures? I spent the day in the emergency room and with all the excitement, totally forgot about the eclipse.

Peaches
11-08-2003, 10:20 PM
We saw the total eclipse of the moon - by the clouds. :( I was ready to set up the telescope and everything. I just went out and even now the moon is peeking from the clouds, but not until about 1/2 an hour ago - after everything. :angry:

VooMan
11-08-2003, 11:32 PM
I was looking forward to this...

And it's been cloudy all day. <_<