PDA

View Full Version : got Acacia letter.what happens if I don't pay them

newb
11-05-2003, 03:25 PM
What's the worst thing that could happen if I blow it off and decide not to pay them?

They can shut my sites down or could it get worse than that?
will I have to pay court fees and shit, or just get my sites turned off?

I just run little tgps and shit, nothing worth paying a huge license fee over.

Last edited by newb at Nov 5 2003, 12:34 PM

Bishop
11-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Options..

http://www.adultindustryupdate.com/archive...E%20ARTICLE.pdf (http://www.adultindustryupdate.com/archives/ACACIA%20ISSUE%20ARTICLE.pdf)

JR
11-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by newb@Nov 5 2003, 12:33 PM
What's the worst thing that could happen if I blow it off and decide not to pay them?

they can shoot you with a high powered rifle from accross the street.

what was your last day? Nov 30?

Nickatilynx
11-05-2003, 04:05 PM
I have loads of those letters....

none in my name though ;-)))

sarettah
11-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by newb@Nov 5 2003, 03:33 PM

Once again....my disclaimer...I have not gotten a letter nor have I spoken to a lawyer about it...so anything I say is strictly in my humble opinion....

The letter doesn't mean much... From what I have seen there is nothing legally binding in the letter.....

So, I, myself would definitely not pay them, but at the same time I would be deciding my options in the event that they come after me with a subpoena....

They can not get you turned off for ignoring the letter.... You could get turned off for not answering a subpoena.... They could get a default judgement if you failed to appear in response.....

Peaches
11-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Nov 5 2003, 05:22 PM
The letter doesn't mean much... From what I have seen there is nothing legally binding in the letter.....

So, I, myself would definitely not pay them, but at the same time I would be deciding my options in the event that they come after me with a subpoena....

They can not get you turned off for ignoring the letter.... You could get turned off for not answering a subpoena.... They could get a default judgement if you failed to appear in response.....
I personally see it as the same as those "fake" bills you get for internet directories. I really wish I'd get one because I'm just itching to turn it over the FTC. :ph34r:

Carrie
11-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Peaches I'd be happy to send you mine.
I'll even scribble out my name and write yours in there :awinky:

Sausage
11-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Carrie@Nov 5 2003, 02:08 PM
Did you do what you said you would do ? Did you hear back from them ?

gonzo
11-05-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Carrie@Nov 5 2003, 05:08 PM
Like Confucy did?

baddog
11-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by newb@Nov 5 2003, 12:33 PM

the letter is a scare tactic . . . . a summons is what you have to worry about

Winetalk.com
11-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by baddog+Nov 5 2003, 10:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (baddog @ Nov 5 2003, 10:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--newb@Nov 5 2003, 12:33 PM

the letter is a scare tactic . . . . a summons is what you have to worry about[/b][/quote]
Let's do the math, shall we?

The cost of filing the lawsuit in Federal Court is about $2500.

2000 law suits filings is $5,000,000,
without administration of them and associated charges

Acacia's present burning rate is $5,000,000 a year and this si without law suits.

one's chances getting "summonses" are not very large, Acacia can't afford to follow every letter they sent with a law suit
;-)))

Carrie
11-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Sausage+Nov 5 2003, 05:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sausage @ Nov 5 2003, 05:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Carrie@Nov 5 2003, 02:08 PM
Did you do what you said you would do ? Did you hear back from them ?[/b][/quote]
Not yet. I'm not so sure I even want to do that now and verify their contact information. The more I look into it, the more this seems like a shot-in-the-dark blanket mailing (from a generic list) designed to scare up cash rather than one sent to verified infringers.

Akin to spammers. They get a list, they spam it not knowing which ones are valid emails and which aren't. Clicking on the "remove" link or contacting them does nothing more than verify your address, and move you to the top of their list.

newb
11-06-2003, 09:12 AM
What happens if I get a summons?
Do I have to fly to California? I couldn't afford to fly to california and stay there in a hotel for the duration of the trial. Or will they come to my state?

sarettah
11-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by newb@Nov 6 2003, 09:20 AM
Do I have to fly to California? I couldn't afford to fly to california and stay there in a hotel for the duration of the trial. Or will they come to my state?
If you get an actual subpoena... Get a lawyer, let them guide you through the process.....

It takes a long time before there is an actual "trial"

The first court appearance is to establish if there is need of a trial....

Prior to that, I would have a lawyer countersuing, asking for change of venue, all sorts of legal stuff...

But like I say, at the point of a subpoena is the time to make sure you have a shark going up against their sharks....

imho...of course

Winetalk.com
11-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by newb@Nov 6 2003, 09:20 AM
when you get summonces,
you contact a lawyer (I'm sure it's gonna be plenty of them specializing in Acacia) and plead not giulty and ask the court to set aside the trial untill the matter of their patent challenge resolved by courts.

If you wanna play aggressive, you file counter suit against Acacia and for super aggressive,
PERSONAL law suits against the officers.

That's what I would do when my time comes.

Winetalk.com
11-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@Nov 6 2003, 09:24 AM

But like I say, at the point of a subpoena is the time to make sure you have a shark going up against their sharks....

imho...of course
I think industry sharks will outnumber their sharks 100:1
;-)))

..and industry cummulitively has more money than Acacia...even with the influx of $$ they get from those who settled

Mike AI
11-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Nov 6 2003, 09:24 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Nov 6 2003, 09:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--newb@Nov 6 2003, 09:20 AM
when you get summonces,
you contact a lawyer (I'm sure it's gonna be plenty of them specializing in Acacia) and plead not giulty and ask the court to set aside the trial untill the matter of their patent challenge resolved by courts.

If you wanna play aggressive, you file counter suit against Acacia and for super aggressive,

That's what I would do when my time comes.[/b][/quote]

Good advice Serge.

Going on the offensive will happen down in New Orleans as well, and will not only include officers of corp, but the companies and the INDIVIDUALS behind them who have settled. I have spoken with some of my friends from lawschool.... I think we could have some fun, and shine a LOT of light on some sordid deals.

I think this whole situation could change the course of the entire adult internet industry. It is almost like the War of the Roses, or other Civil Wars....

Winetalk.com
11-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Nov 6 2003, 09:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Nov 6 2003, 09:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Nov 6 2003, 09:24 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--newb@Nov 6 2003, 09:20 AM
when you get summonces,

That's what I would do when my time comes.

Good advice Serge.

Going on the offensive will happen down in New Orleans as well, and will not only include officers of corp, but the companies and the INDIVIDUALS behind them who have settled. I have spoken with some of my friends from lawschool.... I think we could have some fun, and shine a LOT of light on some sordid deals.

I think this whole situation could change the course of the entire adult internet industry. It is almost like the War of the Roses, or other Civil Wars....[/b][/quote]
Mike, you said it.

It will be a Civil War, as I see lots of dirt under the finger nails,
gotta be LOTS of fun and money changing hands

baddog
11-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by newb@Nov 6 2003, 06:20 AM
you are losing way too much sleep over this, really