PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Class Action Suit in CA

kath
11-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Here's the website with all the details - http://www.microsoftcalsettlement.com/

Anyone else get this? I mean - it's peanuts for each California consumer, yet it's a 1.1 billion class action suit... I *love* the part where it says that the lawyers can take up to $275,000,000 in legal fees & costs and up to $40k per Class Representative from the 27 coordinated cases.

It's an easy $100 for anyone who doesn't have documentation and just wants to file, get their chunk of change and move on - but wow... what a killing for the lawyers!

I'm seeing this trend everywhere I look... stupid class action lawsuits that give the consumers little-to-nada, the lawyers make a bundle and after the companies get hit - the consumers pay in price hikes. It's a never-ending cycle of f*** the consumer and everyone else gets rich!

Whatever happened to chasing ambulances? I mean sure, this is much more profitable (duh!) but I think the ambulance chasers were actually a little more respectable than these guys!

:grrr:

Fletch XXX
11-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Just call Larry Parker.

WE FIGHT FOR YOU!

http://www.fightforyou.com/

Peaches
11-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by kath@Nov 5 2003, 12:55 PM
Whatever happened to chasing ambulances? I mean sure, this is much more profitable (duh!) but I think the ambulance chasers were actually a little more respectable than these guys!

:grrr:
Grisham has written a couple of books which novelize class action suits and I'm betting most, if not all, of the procedures he covers are true.

I've been involved in several class action suits (none of which I started or even knew about until I received notification) and not a one has done anything to get anywhere NEAR the amount the courts claim the consumers have lost. There was a Delta one recently regarding overcharging for flights out of Atlanta. It just so happened that I had traveled extensively for business several years during that time frame to the tune of about $100K worth of tickets. I was awarded a $50 certificate towards future travel. :ph34r:

I always get a kick out of the uninformed who are LOOKING to file a class action suit

kath
11-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Nov 5 2003, 09:18 AM
I've been involved in several class action suits (none of which I started or even knew about until I received notification) and not a one has done anything to get anywhere NEAR the amount the courts claim the consumers have lost. There was a Delta one recently regarding overcharging for flights out of Atlanta. It just so happened that I had traveled extensively for business several years during that time frame to the tune of about $100K worth of tickets. I was awarded a $50 certificate towards future travel. :ph34r:

$50 for $100k in tickets??? Geez! :zoinks:

cherrylula
11-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah I got one of those things too.

It says: Your voucher will be worth $16 for each copy of Windows or MS_DOS included in your claim, $29 for each copy of Office, $26 for each copy of Excel, and $5 for each copy or Word, Works Suite or Home Essentials 97 or 98.

I think I just want a check from microsoft. Not really for the money, I probably wouldn't cash it. Maybe I will scribble OWNED on it and hang it on the wall.

kath
11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by cherrylula@Nov 5 2003, 10:06 AM

It says: Your voucher will be worth $16 for each copy of Windows or MS_DOS included in your claim, $29 for each copy of Office, $26 for each copy of Excel, and $5 for each copy or Word, Works Suite or Home Essentials 97 or 98.

I think I just want a check from microsoft. Not really for the money, I probably wouldn't cash it. Maybe I will scribble OWNED on it and hang it on the wall.
Nice idea. :yowsa:

Yeah - it IS chump change and I don't like the idea of this lawsuit - but did you see what happens to those who don't file their claims? The $$$ "goes to California public schools" - hahaha Yeah right - like the lottery?

Translation: the $$$ goes to the lawyers.

Maybe I should grab my $100 and run... at least that's a little $ they won't be getting because of me. <_<

Fletch XXX
11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by kath+Nov 5 2003, 11:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kath @ Nov 5 2003, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--cherrylula@Nov 5 2003, 10:06 AM

Nice idea. :yowsa:

Yeah - it IS chump change and I don't like the idea of this lawsuit - but did you see what happens to those who don't file their claims? The $$$ "goes to California public schools" - hahaha Yeah right - like the lottery?

Translation: the $$$ goes to the lawyers.

Maybe I should grab my $100 and run... at least that's a little $ they won't be getting because of me. <_<[/b][/quote]
Just like 'mail-in rebates' the companies COUNT ON people not claiming.

baddog
11-05-2003, 03:31 PM
yeah, got a couple notices actually . . . . wonder what I did with them?

I heard there was some place that would give you a new pc if you submitted your claim

damn Alt-s . . . . . okay, what is the SQL option do anyway?

ulfie
11-05-2003, 03:48 PM
I've been in 2 class action suits and the only ones that get rich are the lawyers. First one was against Honda. When I bought my first car they made you buy Ziebart rustproofing. It was buried in the sticker price. Turns out that's illegal here and for the $600 rustproofing charge I got a free oil change.

Second one is against the bank that I had an account with for a brick and mortar store I had. Visa/MC used to settle transactions within 24 hours but the bank held them for 2 extra days and collected the interest on the money before depositing them to your account. I expect $1.98 on that one. :zoinks: