PDA

View Full Version : 7 yr old patents way to swing!

Dravyk
11-04-2003, 02:43 PM
No, we don't need no patent reform, now do we?

The patent office granted a patent to a 7-year-old boy last year who claimed to have invented a new way to swing on a playground swing, though the boy's father said he does not intend to enforce it.

http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1067879232.html

At this point, I literally invision an office full of chimps swinging around with rubber stamps!!

More from the article:

The Federal Trade Commission declined comment on the merits of existing patents but said, "For future issues, it will be highly desirable to consider possible harms to competition . . . before extending the scope of patentable subject matter."

The FTC, the patent office, no one can do anything about present and past patent issues without there being a RETROACTIVE Patent Reform Bill passed. So real nice they are finally getting a clue, but taking care of future shit isn't enough to curb this or help us.

It has to be retroactive and a complete reexamination of frivilous patents already licensed. And yes, they would do it, because expensive as it might be, it is, again, nothing compared to amount of money that would go to court cases, loss of employment, impact on the economy and more.

Carrie
11-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Dejavu is a glitch in the Matrix.

Nickatilynx
11-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Some things change , some things don't .

;-)))

Dravyk
11-04-2003, 03:09 PM
I can tell by that gleem in your eye, Nick, you wanna buy out the patent from the kid and then go enforce it. :D

Carrie
11-04-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm happy to see in that article that others are calling for patent reform as well. With the FTC making some noise, perhaps it'll get some attention.

As for my response to the swing patent, see this thread (http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=6598&hl=you+have+got+to+be+fucking+kidding+me&s=612fde99e7d4493f16e4ea7f41e6dbe4) :awinky:

Carrie
11-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Nov 4 2003, 03:17 PM
I can tell by that gleem in your eye, Nick, you wanna buy out the patent from the kid and then go enforce it. :D
Actually the patent office revoked it themselves after there was such an outcry from the public.
Sorry, Nick!

Dravyk
11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Carrie@Nov 4 2003, 03:20 PM
Actually the patent office revoked it themselves after there was such an outcry from the public.
Sorry, Nick!
Too bad! :(

Nick always wanted to actually take candy from a baby. :P

Nickatilynx
11-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Nick always wanted to actually take candy from a baby.

Thing I want to do :

127.) Scam Dravyk out of a copy of "contentgod"
128.) Actually , physically ,take candy from a baby.
129.) enforce a ridiculous patent which I have folded into a listed company and make bank
130.) train a dolphin to dance the Murena.

Yup its on my to do list .
Would have been a perfect combo of two of them