PDA

View Full Version : Acacia harrassment/patent abuse?

JR
10-29-2003, 04:56 PM
I am sitting here reading the boards and seeing that Acacia sent out a mass mailing to everyone on the planet and many of those who recieved a letter have no connection to video in any way, shape or form.

the letter informs the individual that they are infringing on Acacias patent and "liable to Acacia for patent infringement" but offers no proof or examples of the alleged "infringement"

i might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but i am pretty sure that i can't legally send out a mass mailing to random people telling them they owe me money and give them a deadline and tell them i need to receive a signed agreement that they will pay me by a certain date or consequences will follow.

is this legal? I really can't imagine that it is.

Rolo
10-29-2003, 04:59 PM
I think Acacia view it as an offer, and that their "special pricing" will end november 30?

JR
10-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Rolo@Oct 29 2003, 02:07 PM
I think Acacia view it as an offer, and that their "special pricing" will end november 30?
thats not entirely true because it starts with a clear accusation of "infringement" and clearly states that the person is "laible to Acacia for patent infringement".

Wizzo
10-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Sounds like a job for the FTC.... B)

Paul Markham
10-30-2003, 02:40 AM
Has anyone bothered to report them, is anyone getting everyone together to sue THEM?

We have to do something to make it happen.

Personaly I'm sure it is illegal to send these letters out they are a clear threat, report them to the "US Lawyer Associaton" what ever that is. Look it up in the telephone directory, you will find it below Crack Dealers and Pimps.