PDA

View Full Version : Terri Schiavo

Forest
10-26-2003, 07:32 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/980564.asp?0dm=-259N

Has anyone been following this?

Its been news down here for a while as it on the left coast of the state.

I am a bit torn.

Her father ans Brother were on today this am and her brother said that suspect "Foul Play" on the night Terri collpased

Is this a Tactic to gain support to keep her alive?

Her husband is going to court this week to over turn Jeb's legal actions to keep her alive

brand0n
10-26-2003, 07:36 AM
ive seen this on cnn a few times, i really dont know how to feel on this one.. i feel bad for the hubby, eather way he goes with this hes going to take it from the public, and no matter what he still has a wife who is in a horrible position

and for the prez to get involved.. talk about putting something bad right in the public eye.. id be pissed

Forest
10-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by brand0n@Oct 26 2003, 07:44 AM

and for the prez to get involved.. talk about putting something bad right in the public eye.. id be pissed
Jeb Bush

not G.W.

Govenor

brand0n
10-26-2003, 07:41 AM
ahh, all i cought was Bush, so i just figured they were talking about G.W.

thanks for clearing that up for me =]

Torone
10-26-2003, 08:07 AM
Do your research on this one...she's not in a persistent vegetative state or a coma. She is responsive and awake. Note that the judge was so hipped on killing her that he wouldn't allow any attempt to feed her. He even went so far as to deny her the last rites according to her religion because communion wafers have food value. IMO, there is some sort of collusion netween the judge and the husband...

Forest
10-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Torone@Oct 26 2003, 08:15 AM
Do your research on this one...she's not in a persistent vegetative state or a coma. She is responsive and awake. Note that the judge was so hipped on killing her that he wouldn't allow any attempt to feed her. He even went so far as to deny her the last rites according to her religion because communion wafers have food value. IMO, there is some sort of collusion netween the judge and the husband...
well like i said

The brother Claims to have medical and circumstantial evidence that foul play was envloved in getting to her to this state.

Peaches
10-26-2003, 08:34 AM
This is a tough one and I don't envy any of the judges who have to rule on it.

On one side is the husband who they suspect had something to do with the condition she's in. He wants to get remarried so he has something to gain by her death.

On the other hand, I know that I personally would not want to be in the physical/mental state that she's in even if it's not technically vegetative.

What I don't understand is why the husband won't relinquish legal care to her parents in exchange for a divorce. :unsure:

Kevin2
10-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Peaches there may be a life policy that he wants paid out :) If she does die will a life insurance be paid out?

Last edited by Kevin2 at Oct 26 2003, 06:07 AM

Winetalk.com
10-26-2003, 10:34 AM
I demand to be let alone and die as I please....the hospitals won't see a penny of my money
;_)))

Carrie
10-26-2003, 10:41 AM
This has been going on for 13 years. The parents have contended the entire time that the husband had something to do with it, but they've never been able to prove it.

She *is* in a persistent vegetative state. The definition of that includes being in a wakeful state, eyes open, even making sounds from time to time. However, there is no concious activity in the brain. The lights are on, but no one is home.

The husband has a girlfriend that he's been living with for a LONG time, they have a child already and another on the way.

The reason he won't divorce Terri and give her parents custody is because then he'd lose the $750,000.00 that he receives when she passes away.

The doctors say that going a week without food may have damaged her liver irrepairably.

Winetalk.com
10-26-2003, 11:04 AM
I wanna die and the ONLY objection I have is for the hospitals to grab the dough

Billy
10-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Oops, This is Angel
I guess Billy was logged in on my laptop, I guess I should have checked before posting : )

For me seeing this on the news really hit home. From a first hand experience with my grandmother who suffered a massive stroke that left her in the same medical condition as Terri, what her family is going through is very difficult. By not having a will that stated what her wishes were, my grandmother was kept alive for 5 years by a feeding tube. She passed away just this year at the age of 94, I miss my grandmother, but hated seeing her in that condition. I do not believe that she would have wanted to be kept alive in that state.

That is the importance of having a Will, and letting your loved ones know your wishes.

Last edited by Billy at Oct 26 2003, 11:41 AM

kath
10-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Billy@Oct 26 2003, 08:38 AM
That is the importance of having a Will, and letting your loved ones know your wishes.
Excellent point Angel...

When hubby and I were first married he was in the Army and had to make out a new will to include me right before he was shipped out for some intense training exercize. When we discussed it, he made it very clear that he would not want to be kept alive in a state like this poor woman is in right now. Well, I was 18 and just wouldn't hear it - I said no way, you'll be out of it hon, it'll be up to me. Of course I was young, naive and very selfish - I thought he was just trying to play tough guy. lol

So he put it in his will. He had it all written out so there would be no misunderstanding.

Later (it's been 16 years now), he ended up keeping it in so that the kids wouldn't have to make that decision someday in the future. So they would see that it was HIS decision, HIS choice and something he believed firmly enough in to have it put down on LEGAL paper.

Of course I'm still selfish when it comes to him, but I'm mature enough now to respect his wishes.... I'm still burying him in the backyard though - lol I'll never be ready to let go. :awinky:

Last edited by kath at Oct 26 2003, 09:39 AM

Carrie
10-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kath@Oct 26 2003, 12:38 PM
Of course I'm still selfish when it comes to him, but I'm mature enough now to respect his wishes.... I'm still burying him in the backyard though - lol I'll never be ready to let go. :awinky:
I want to be cremated. I've seen the damage it does to people to feel obligated to visit a headstone, remember to order flowers to be put on it on special occassions, feeling guilty for moving away from the headstone, and the way it won't allow people to let go because the headstone becomes the "physical presence" of the person who is gone.

It's horrible. Burn me up and let me blow away on the wind. Then go on with your life.

Peaches
10-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Carrie@Oct 26 2003, 02:17 PM
I want to be cremated. I've seen the damage it does to people to feel obligated to visit a headstone, remember to order flowers to be put on it on special occassions, feeling guilty for moving away from the headstone, and the way it won't allow people to let go because the headstone becomes the "physical presence" of the person who is gone.

It's horrible. Burn me up and let me blow away on the wind. Then go on with your life.
I've told my family since I was a kid that I wanted to be cremated with 1/2 my ashes put in the mountains and the other 1/2 in the ocean. My brother says he'll come to my house and sprinkle 1/2 in my yard since I live in the mountains and flush the other 1/2 down the toilet since those will EVENTUALLY make it to the ocean. :angry:

I received one of those free $1000 life insurance policies from the company I have my car/home insurance from and put him as the beneficiary and told him he had to use it to take my ashes to the REAL ocean. :P