PDA

View Full Version : I got my Acacia Letter, but there is 3 problems wi

princess
10-24-2003, 07:24 AM
ok now guys, This is just way too phuckin funny.

I got a letter from Acacia, Yeah it was addressed to Marsha Youngs. But the domains Associated with this letter I don't own nor do I have the right to..

Two of the domains listed on mine were Xbiz and Xbiz Awards. Now isn't that some shit? LOL

I was only an employee of XBiz. These people have NO idea what they're doing, who they're sending these letters too or what you have on your site. They are just sending and that is such bull shit and it is such a shame that our judicial system is allowing such to happen.

JuicyLinks
10-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Princess,

Throw it out and dont think too much of it. Its obvious what they are doing now with these letters,

When you get something like this served to you then worry:

http://www.juicylinks.com/law1.jpg

http://www.juicylinks.com/law2.jpg

princess
10-24-2003, 07:55 AM
oh wow JuicyLinks. Sorry to see your papers.. :(

I will say this. I just started a ban list. and there are now two companies on it.

JuicyLinks
10-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by princess@Oct 24 2003, 04:03 AM

I will say this. I just started a ban list. and there are now two companies on it.
That was just an example, its nothing from Acacia.

Its from the lawsuit i was involved in last year.

Nothing but headaches with attorneys, court and all the BS and shit

You get hit with reality like that from process servers knocking at your door like 7 am You open up they serve you and run away.

Crazy shit , we are in a lwasuit prone country where evry Tom , Joe and LArry is ready to sue someone for stupid reasons.

princess
10-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Suing is the new amrecian way haven't you heard? LOL

Soo sad :(

nlphoto
10-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by princess@Oct 24 2003, 04:11 AM
Suing is the new amrecian way haven't you heard? LOL

Soo sad :(
Of course it is... the odds are WAY better that Ed McMahon... :rolleyes:

Paul Markham
10-24-2003, 08:29 AM
If you get sent a letter send it all to Spike at Homegrown, I think it might prove useful in the counter sue case to show what tactics these people are using.

Hooper
10-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Lawsuits are abused, but I would pose this.

Unfortunately sometimes lawsuits are the only way to smack somebody and make them take you seriously, otherwise people will run you over and take advantage of you.

Would be nice if there was some kind of "middle ground"... some kind of mediation that didnt require the filing of suits, but forced the other parties to respond to you and abide by the law.

Last edited by Hooper at Oct 24 2003, 07:39 AM

Rolo
10-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Looks like the latest batch of letters from Acacia is much bigger than last time.

If everyone responds with a "see you in court" will Acacia be able to see everyone in court?

Carrie
10-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Rolo@Oct 24 2003, 07:55 AM
Looks like the latest batch of letters from Acacia is much bigger than last time.

If everyone responds with a "see you in court" will Acacia be able to see everyone in court?
I don't know Rolo, but if I get papers I guess we'll find out. :)
I wonder if they're willing to spend more on plane tickets, hotels, and associated expenses than the $1500 they'll get if they win the case.

voodooman
10-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Our content guy here at ICE got the letter today and he is just
an employee of ICE.

These guys are taking this way to far.

Mike AI
10-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by princess@Oct 24 2003, 07:03 AM

Wanna share who these companies are? I do not want to do business with them either!!

princess
10-24-2003, 10:55 AM
lol You don't have to think to hard to know who they are.

kath
10-24-2003, 11:00 AM
At least before they were serving *actual* businesses... now it seems they are just throwing darts! First MikeW - and now Princess. Who's next? :rolleyes:

This is really getting out of hand... oh and that "ban" list... I think we need to get together here and share some info. If it's on a public document (what you've been served with), then maybe it should be public info? Especially if we don't have to think too hard to figure out - this should be spelled out to others who might not put 2 and 2 together.

Ridiculous... :moon:

Trev
10-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know if anyone in Europe or any countries outside of the US and Canada have received a mail yet?

spazlabz
10-24-2003, 12:16 PM
just heard from a bud of mine who runs a site where he sells his custom scripts (PERL, PHP et all) and he got one today in the mail. He finally figured out that he used that info to join CE cash, thats the only one he can think of that he ever used it for.
FYI

spaz

kath
10-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by spazlabz@Oct 24 2003, 08:24 AM
just heard from a bud of mine who runs a site where he sells his custom scripts (PERL, PHP et all) and he got one today in the mail. He finally figured out that he used that info to join CE cash, thats the only one he can think of that he ever used it for.
FYI

spaz
Hmmmm... how many people joined that program at one time or another? It that's the case, it sounds like they've got a LOT of letters to send. :rolleyes:

spazlabz
10-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by kath+Oct 24 2003, 08:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kath @ Oct 24 2003, 08:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--spazlabz@Oct 24 2003, 08:24 AM
FYI

spaz
Hmmmm... how many people joined that program at one time or another? It that's the case, it sounds like they've got a LOT of letters to send. :rolleyes:[/b][/quote]
from the talk on the boards, looks like their sending them now LOL

spaz

Far-L
10-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Please contact me directly to share the information discretely!!!

timlake AT homegrownvideo.com

206-852-5566

Anonymity will be protected.

mojobill
10-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Far be it for me to cast aspersions.. or make false accusations, about where Acacia is getting their information..... but....

In a letter I've seen, the name used is NOT the FORMAL name used on domain registrations, SPonsor accounts, or any place else.... er.. except for a particular content provider....

IN all formal locations, the name used was the FULL ( birth certificate type formal ) name.....

the content provider in question has the name listed with the 'common' name used.... ie: Bill, vs William....

I'm sure its just co-incidental.... :grrr:

Mutt
10-24-2003, 12:46 PM
oh pshaaaaaaaaaaaaw.........CECash? Now you're just talking crazy, why would the Lord and Saviour of the entire Adult Internet be doing giving Acacia names and addresses of hard working small time webmasters? To quote Mike Tyson, that's just ludacris. Levi made Brad Shaw a millionaire, turned MikeAI from a bumbling hick into a sophisticated businessman, and did the same for many others, this kind of treachery He is not capable of.

Oh and to you smartasses who are going to remind me that CECash was the first and largest player to roll over for Acacia - let me remind you that Ron Levi sold CECash so don't go slinging mud on a guy who doesn't even own the company anymore. Oh..........wait......... someone in my headset is telling me that several of Levi's oldest and dearest business associates in one fell swoop decided en masse that it was the better part of valour that they sign license agreements with Acacia. THAT IS JUST A COINCIDENCE!!!! YOU ARE ALL CONSPIRACY WACKOS!!!

What? You're not going to bring up that ol' rumor about MaxCash and the FTC!?! NEVER ANY PROOF THAT CE MAN HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT!!! NONE! NONE!!!! DAMN LIES!!!

Far-L
10-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Please! I need someone to give me specifics!!! Not in public, private is fine!!!

"I gots to know"

Vick
10-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Ahhh Mutt- you're sorely missed :D

Far-L
10-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Mutt@Oct 24 2003, 08:54 AM
oh pshaaaaaaaaaaaaw.........CECash? Now you're just talking crazy, why would the Lord and Saviour of the entire Adult Internet be doing giving Acacia names and addresses of hard working small time webmasters? To quote Mike Tyson, that's just ludacris. Levi made Brad Shaw a millionaire, turned MikeAI from a bumbling hick into a sophisticated businessman, and did the same for many others, this kind of treachery He is not capable of.

Oh and to you smartasses who are going to remind me that CECash was the first and largest player to roll over for Acacia - let me remind you that Ron Levi sold CECash so don't go slinging mud on a guy who doesn't even own the company anymore. Oh..........wait......... someone in my headset is telling me that several of Levi's oldest and dearest business associates in one fell swoop decided en masse that it was the better part of valour that they sign license agreements with Acacia. THAT IS JUST A COINCIDENCE!!!! YOU ARE ALL CONSPIRACY WACKOS!!!

What? You're not going to bring up that ol' rumor about MaxCash and the FTC!?! NEVER ANY PROOF THAT CE MAN HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT!!! NONE! NONE!!!! DAMN LIES!!!
Also sprach Zarathustra...

Trev
10-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Oct 24 2003, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know if anyone in Europe or any countries outside of the US and Canada have received a mail yet?
It was obviously missed the first time I posted it, so I'm pulling it down.

No I didn't say ignored, I said missed :D

Far-L
10-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Yes, euro webmasters have been getting the package as well.

Trev
10-26-2003, 11:12 AM
I've been talking to a few people on the matter of this US company fighting their patent against people in the UK. Some of the information is interesting because it wouldn't be the US patent that they would be enforcing but the European patent EP 0 566 662 and they would have to enforce that here in a European court.

Is this right?

FightThePatent
10-26-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Trev+Oct 24 2003, 09:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Oct 24 2003, 09:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Trev@Oct 24 2003, 06:03 PM
It was obviously missed the first time I posted it, so I'm pulling it down.

No I didn't say ignored, I said missed :D[/b][/quote]
Yes, i have had webmasters from canada, germany, UK, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Australia send me emails that they got information packets.

Fight the Patent!

FightThePatent
10-26-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Trev@Oct 26 2003, 08:20 AM
I've been talking to a few people on the matter of this US company fighting their patent against people in the UK. Some of the information is interesting because it wouldn't be the US patent that they would be enforcing but the European patent EP 0 566 662 and they would have to enforce that here in a European court.

Is this right?
Yup..

There is a battle going on now in Europe with the issue of EU allowing Software patents in.

I don't think Acacia is affected by this because individual countries with Patent Offices already approved their patent.. and its not software, it's a process patent.

I think that Acacia will start to attract european IP firms to take up their licensing attempts for Europe.

It was brought up in the 3Q conference all that they would be expanding into Europe (4Q).

Fight the Patent!

FightThePatent
10-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Mutt@Oct 24 2003, 08:54 AM
oh pshaaaaaaaaaaaaw.........CECash? Now you're just talking crazy, why would the Lord and Saviour of the entire Adult Internet be doing giving Acacia names and addresses of hard working small time webmasters?
Luke Ford reported the following: (http://www.setgo.com/article.html?id=a431d70133ef6cf688bc4f6093922b48)

Ron Levi, founder of cybererotica.com, has started an intellectual property company.

Fight the Patent!

Carrie
10-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Oct 26 2003, 11:20 AM

Is this right?
Trev that seems to make sense, but if their servers are in the US then Acacia might be able to push the issue in US courts. They need to ask their attorneys.

Boy, you want to talk about burning through the defense fund? Having a battle overseas would definitely help get that sucker down.

Trev
10-27-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Carrie+Oct 26 2003, 08:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Carrie @ Oct 26 2003, 08:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Trev@Oct 26 2003, 11:20 AM

Is this right?
Trev that seems to make sense, but if their servers are in the US then Acacia might be able to push the issue in US courts. They need to ask their attorneys.

Boy, you want to talk about burning through the defense fund? Having a battle overseas would definitely help get that sucker down.[/b][/quote]
I can't see how that would work, because it was deemed in a European court of law that it isn't a case of where the server resides it's a case of where publication took place. So if I uploaded a file from here in Newcastle to a server in New York the actual act of publication took place in Newcastle and is therefore in the Newcastle Crown Courts Jurisdiction.

This is how they managed to prosecute Graham Waddon for obscene publications and such here in the UK.

So Acacia trying to make me purchase a license would have to fight it in a court which resides over the jurisdiction of where the publication of any patent breaching files took place.

Trev
10-27-2003, 04:48 AM
Oh yeah and for any one needing good legal representation in the North of the UK you can't get better than Dickinson Dees Law Firm (http://www.dickinson-dees.co.uk/)

Last edited by Trev at Oct 27 2003, 11:57 AM

Mr Benn
10-27-2003, 05:18 AM
Wonder if there will be a market for "Acacia bullet proof hosting" :matey:

Anyone need any? heh.

Just kidding ;)

Trev
10-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Mr Benn@Oct 27 2003, 12:26 PM
Wonder if there will be a market for "Acacia bullet proof hosting" :matey:

Anyone need any? heh.

Just kidding ;)
If Acacia keep on the way they're going I think their board will be wearing the 'Acacia Bullet Proof Jackets' :uzi: :papow:

Mr Benn
10-27-2003, 09:38 AM
I sale good Acacia Hosting and processing solution!

I have no doubt that people will be copying this solution ;) haha