PDA

View Full Version : Good morning, Laptop suggestion

JuicyLinks
10-23-2003, 08:33 AM
I have been looking at some Dells and stuff. Need a lightweight one , which will be used primarirly on the road and so on. ANy body have any good recommendations? I have a bad tendency of buying techie stuff which is too powerful for my purposes all the time so any recommendations are appreciated

Winetalk.com
10-23-2003, 08:34 AM
the ONLY rec I can give is:
wait 'til the last moment to buy it!

Prices go down and power goes up on a daily basis

dantheman
10-23-2003, 08:47 AM
juicy, I have a inspiron 5000 it's nice, huge screen and a little heavy. Another guy here just got the new latitude x300 ( I think that's right) it's fucking awesome. Small, lightwieght and loaded.

voodooman
10-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Good Morning!!!

I would go with Dell, but if you have some $$$ to throw around,
you might check out http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/area-51m.aspx

By far the best system made. IMHO anyways.

brand0n
10-23-2003, 09:03 AM
i got an inspiron 4600 and its like 8 lbs, now that dont seem like much untill you drag it around with you from airport to airport

Winetalk.com
10-23-2003, 09:08 AM
I never had laptop in my life...one NEEDS time away from the computer,
this time gives ideas and clears up the head.

Am I the ONLY ONE without laptop?

brand0n
10-23-2003, 09:14 AM
i love my lappy, id be lost without her

sarettah
10-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Oct 23 2003, 08:16 AM
Am I the ONLY ONE without laptop?
I do not have a laptop...........

Bad enough being chained to a puter 12-18 hours a day....

My time away from my desks is MY TIME :)

Mike AI
10-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by JuicyLinks@Oct 23 2003, 07:41 AM
I have been looking at some Dells and stuff. Need a lightweight one , which will be used primarirly on the road and so on. ANy body have any good recommendations? I have a bad tendency of buying techie stuff which is too powerful for my purposes all the time so any recommendations are appreciated

If you are looking for cutting edge tech, especially with small/lightweight laptops, I recomend http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml

They have rounded up all the best technology and put it in one place. Most of the computer from this site you cannot buy in the US.

I bought a Sony Picture book over a year ago, its just now being released in the US. They also have GREAT customer support!

girlgeek
10-23-2003, 10:12 AM
I think a lot of people make a mistake and buy something more powerful than they need in a laptop. Just figure out what you're going to be doing with it, and what features are important to you. The quality assurance has gone way down on these things, so whatever you do, buy the extended warranty. It's always nice to pay a little extra for them to come to you, rather than having to box it up and ship it to them.

The Dells are nice, but they are heavy and have lots of problems. Kevin has bought two Inspirons within the last year, and has had to have the motherboard replaced twice, the display, and assorted internal parts. On the first one, he basically replaced every component, before they just upgraded him to the newest one out. Did I mention how HEAVY they are? Almost 8lbs! The Latitudes are nice, and a little lighter.

Myself, I have an IBM Thinkpad X31 that weighs 3.1lbs. It is so convenient to carry around and has all power I need. I have a detachable base station which holds the CD R-W/DVD combo drive, but I rarely carry it with me. How often do you really need a CD-ROM? I sacrificed power for bulk, but I really notice no drag on this unit (it helps if you max out the RAM). With the docking station attached---4.3lbs. Also, I bought an additional extended life battery. With the primary battery and it attached, I get over 8 hours of power.

You didn't mention it as a possibility, so I won't even drool over the new Apple 15" Powerbook here. Good luck on choosing your new laptop!

Last edited by girlgeek at Oct 23 2003, 07:24 PM