10-14-2003, 04:35 AM
Space Invaders...

Jim, go to bed. :nyanya:

Diamond Jim
10-14-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Lisa@Oct 14 2003, 03:43 AM
Space Invaders...

Jim, go to bed. :nyanya:
Space Invaders? I forgot how old Lisa is...

Space Invaders led to Galaxian, which of course led to Galaga....Galaxian being the toughest one to play...you couldn't shoot fast enough!

Bed? I am in bed....been here all day!

Lisa
10-14-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Diamond Jim@Oct 14 2003, 07:48 PM
Space Invaders? I forgot how old Lisa is...

And the horse you rode in on... :P

eatapeach
10-14-2003, 04:42 AM
dragon's lair

qbert

vanguard

satan's hollow

damn i'm old :)

XXXPhoto
10-14-2003, 05:13 AM
Missile Command

*Insert flashing epileptic inducing lights and rolling explosive booms*

THE END

Diamond Jim
10-14-2003, 05:16 AM
dragon's lair - too easy...finished in one day...laser disc CHEESY

qbert - took longer than average to master...fun game

vanguard - boring and repetitive after 30 minutes

satan's hollow - cheap space invaders / galaxian ripoff

Guess where I worked when I was 16? :rokk:

Nickatilynx
10-14-2003, 05:16 AM
pong :)

Diamond Jim
10-14-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by XXXPhoto@Oct 14 2003, 04:21 AM
Missile Command

THE END
I think I still have scars on my hand from being pinched in that shitty track ball...

Another game that's easy to play forever, though....the good old days when the programmers let you build up assloads of "lives" and you could go eat lunch while the game killed your bank of guys/bases/ships....and then start building them up again after your feast....

First game I remember being built specifically for the arcade owners so people couldn't play too long....

Pole Position!

Held the record for most $$ in the arcades for what felt like FOREVER...

Dravyk
10-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Asteroids!

Honorable mentions: Space Invaders, QBert, Centipede

Continuing: I'll still play a game of Tetris now and then. Don't think it will ever go away.

XXXPhoto
10-14-2003, 05:28 AM
DiamondJim:

How about:

Moon Patrol...

Defender...

Tempest...

HoneyBlond
10-14-2003, 05:33 AM
Space Invaders
Galaxian
Galaga

The Saturday Nite fever pin ball machine with the banana shaped flippers !!

:rolleyes:

spazlabz
10-14-2003, 05:37 AM
No one said it had to be arcade so mine is
Miner2049er
Anyone remember that game?
Loved it with the HUGE atari controller that looked like a calculator with a boner.

spaz

Almighty Colin
10-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Speaking of Qbert ....

http://www.linkification.com/linked/qbert.gif

This should hit some of ya ;-)

Almighty Colin
10-14-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Oct 14 2003, 04:24 AM
pong :)
Liar ;-) ;-)

MikeW
10-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by XXXPhoto@Oct 14 2003, 05:21 AM
Missile Command

THE END
Yup - my all time favorite!!

:rokk:

Almighty Colin
10-14-2003, 07:30 AM
Dave & Buster's here in Miami has Missile Command. :-)

Almighty Colin
10-14-2003, 07:32 AM
Remember the old track ball football games? That was my football fix during the week as a kid. That and my LED handheld football game that was three blips wide. Outjuke all the other blips and get yours to the end zone to score. Fun for hours.

OldJeff
10-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Colin - I did the Q-bert hop the first time I walked across that floor. (I guess I can be embarrasing to be seen with in public) :D

Baby Pac Man - the added pinball feature made it a killer game

sarah_webinc
10-14-2003, 08:00 AM
We had a colleco so I spent a lot of time playing Mr. Doo

Almighty Colin
10-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by sarah_webinc@Oct 14 2003, 07:08 AM
We had a colleco so I spent a lot of time playing Mr. Doo
I had Intellivision. My favorite game was UFO.

XXXPhoto
10-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Well if we are talking home games, will have to go w/ Pitfall on the
Atari 2600 as my favorite... Still have it, 1 working joystick and the unit
boxed up (right on top of the vic20, c64 and c128 boxes...lol) out in the
garage... :P

Arcade video games were VERY slow to reach my home town... Was forced
to learn analog games such as pool from seedy n'ar do wells... I blame
them on my current profession... lol

Mike AI
10-14-2003, 09:02 AM
DJ good to see you can take some time from buying the planet, to hang out with us on Oprano!! :P

Galaga was a good game, one of my favorite.... I also like another classic... Defender!

Peaches
10-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Centipede! I actually had a cocktail table arcade version of it for years until the 1st player trackball burned out. :P I knew a guy who sold them and only paid $150 for it. No one could beat me. :rokk:

leeb
10-14-2003, 09:14 AM
in my parents basement covered and in great shape so i can show my kids one day what real video games were like are:

TABLE TOP
ms. pac man
asteroids
defender
donkey kong

STAND UP
missle command
an original pole position
street fighers 1
root beer tapper
wrestling pro---the one where there are only like 5 moves to do

plus a bunch of pinballs with the best being Diner.

anyone looking for any cool old arcade games or memorabelia should check out

http://www.marvin3m.com
besides being owned by my cousin, its one of the coolest places and he has great stuff.

Mike AI
10-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Oct 14 2003, 08:10 AM
DJ good to see you can take some time from buying the planet, to hang out with us on Oprano!! :P

Galaga was a good game, one of my favorite.... I also like another classic... Defender!

Oh yeah I like Dig Dug as well.

Peaches
10-14-2003, 09:24 AM
My ex-husband was a Frogger fan. One of the funniest scenes in Sienfeld was George navigating crossing the street a la Frogger when he was trying to keep his high score from disappearing. :biglaugh:

VooMan
10-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Peaches, that was funny as hell... Good old Seinfeld, I think just about anything that can happen to you in your life was covered in some episode... :)

As far as old video games, it begins and ends with Asteroids. I could play for an hour and a half on one quarter. Back then I mean...

Toolz
10-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by leeb@Oct 14 2003, 05:22 AM
in my parents basement covered and in great shape so i can show my kids one day what real video games were like are:

TABLE TOP
ms. pac man
asteroids
defender
donkey kong

STAND UP
missle command
an original pole position
street fighers 1
root beer tapper
wrestling pro---the one where there are only like 5 moves to do

plus a bunch of pinballs with the best being Diner.

anyone looking for any cool old arcade games or memorabelia should check out

http://www.marvin3m.com
besides being owned by my cousin, its one of the coolest places and he has great stuff.
Tapper,

Now there's a classic, remember before Nintendo changed it to Root Beer Tapper and it was just called Tapper?

leeb
10-14-2003, 10:35 AM
toolz, next time your down this way i will take you to marvins, its an unreal place. its easy to spend 3-4 hours without even noticing it, sort of like cheetahs.

DrGuile
10-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Oh oh, the geek nostalgia pandora's box has been opened!

For arcade games, Im not THAT old (yes, Im saying you guys are) so it would have to be:

Street Fighter 2 (the original version), Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter
Daytona USA

For home, I started playing ALOT younger....

C64:
Blue Max
Defender of the Crown
Hardball
Winter, Summer, California Games
etc...

ColecoVision:
Spy Hunter
Gateway to Apsy (sp?)
Donkey Kong

NES:
Baseball Star
Contra
Punch Out
Super Mario 3
Ice Hockey
Blade of Steel

SNES:
Mario World
Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 1,2
Killer Instinct
NHL 95
Final Fantasy 2,3

Macintosh:
Dark Castle 1-2
Police Quest 1
Sim City
(not that many mac games ;)

PC:
X-Com
Eye of the Beholder 1,2
Land Of Lore
Doom 1,2
Rise of Triad
X-Wing
Tie Fighter

...and Im forgetting a bunch, but those are all classics.

Also, http://www.the-underdogs.org/

Almighty Colin
10-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Anyone play the text-based "Adventure" as a kid? (or in their 30s for PD ;-) )

Edd
10-14-2003, 11:07 AM
I had so many faves - but the one I mastered totally was Temptest...

Oh and "Yars Revenge" on the 2600 at home - I turned the score over like 12 times in a weekend - i'd play for 72 hours straight - I'd save up so many spare lives that I could sleep while the game stayed ON!!! :rokk:

:ph34r: I @m 3l33t. u ph34r me. :ph34r:

Peaches
10-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Colin@Oct 14 2003, 11:10 AM
My son had something like that - I think it was called Treasure Hunt? Our first "real" computer (the ex had an Atari) was an 8088 with a 5.25 drive I bought used for $500 15 years ago that he played it on. B) Needless to say, 5 years later I couldn't even give it away. :rolleyes:

Carrie
10-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Wizardry.

Way before that, all of them, LOL... Pitfall was fantastic, Donkey Kong was so much fun, hell I even loved playing that tank game on the Atari on the 'ice' track - Mom and I would play for HOURS.

I once won a Ms. Pac Man competition in Atlantic City. Played on a tabletop, of course. :)

Edit: Can't forget sneaking into the library at school to play Leisure Suit Larry on the computers there. We had the game hidden deep in the school's network and kept moving it (and its copies) around. The teachers couldn't keep up with tracking the game down.
They've got LSL for the Xbox now, haven't played it yet though. They've got Frogger too, but I can't find the damn thing around here to save my life. :(

Last edited by Carrie at Oct 14 2003, 10:40 AM

LAJ
10-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Damn... too many to mention...

Stargate, Donkey Kong, Defender, Tempest, Tron, Robotron, Galaga, Gorf, Anything off the atari 400/800 series, Gauntlet, Circus, Jack the giantkiller (only ever saw one stand up), Dig dug, Pole Position, Centipede... the list goes on... 1982 was a good year for games.

RichC
10-14-2003, 11:59 AM
That one that came free with Atari...Tank?, Donkey Kong, Frogger , Leisure Suit Larry rocked, Zelda

Diamond Jim
10-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by XXXPhoto@Oct 14 2003, 04:36 AM
DiamondJim:

How about:

Moon Patrol...

Defender...

Tempest...
I always found Moon Patrol boring....if you just wanted to hop over things all day, the really challenging one was ZooKeeper....I remember the first time I made my single 1 million point jump....the crowd went wild!

Defender is such a classic....the break out game for Williams that started them on their phenomenal roll of making the most challenging games for the time period. Nothing quite like surviving a Mutant Attack...

Tempest has to be in the top 3 of all time, both for fun and level of challenge. Still recall the first time at the invisible level.....going "WHAT THE FUCK..."

Diamond Jim
10-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Oct 14 2003, 08:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Oct 14 2003, 08:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Mike AI@Oct 14 2003, 08:10 AM

Oh yeah I like Dig Dug as well.[/b][/quote]
Dig Dug was fun, but way too easy....once you got the pattern down (ala Pac Man), it was always the same...

I always figured you for a Centipede man, Mike! And Peaches, I assure you I will win... :D

Ever try to stop Centipede at 999,999 with a max of 6 guys without pulling the centipede trap/ spider hunt technique? That was tough...

ounique
10-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Edd@Oct 14 2003, 07:15 AM
I had so many faves - but the one I mastered totally was Temptest...

Oh and "Yars Revenge" on the 2600 at home - I turned the score over like 12 times in a weekend - i'd play for 72 hours straight - I'd save up so many spare lives that I could sleep while the game stayed ON!!! :rokk:

:ph34r: I @m 3l33t. u ph34r me. :ph34r:
Oh My God!!! I hadn't thought about Yar's Revenge in ages!!! Remember how you could run your little robot fly into the line during the transition from one level to another, crash the game and see the programmer's initials? LOL! What was that all about?

My mom got totally addicted to Missle Command but then she got joystick thumnb (remember that?) and got really scared it was permanent so she never played again.

Okay, this will blow your minds... remember Mappy? That was my fav. You were a mouse who was running around a department store and you had to move from level to level by jumping off the edge of the floor you were on and bouncing back up on a trampoline. It was awesome!!!

:rokk:

Diamond Jim
10-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Oct 14 2003, 10:10 AM
Never really thought of it as a video game, but yeah.....oh man, memory flood of being about 13 and going to the computer center at my Dad's college to play Adventure... everyone carried around stacks of programming punch cards held together by rubber bands! They littered the whole campus....

"You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here."

Fuckin' dwarves with their axes...and the thieves! :nyanya:

Bishop
10-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you all know your video games..

I got hooked on old video games (again) about a year ago. You can play all the old games via an emulator on your pc called MAME. I now have three MAME arcade machines at the house.. cool stuff.. plays just about every game ever made. I find myself playing Ms. Pacman and Galaga alot..

Here is one on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=13716 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3246148803&category=13716)

Toolz
10-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Much cheaper one Bishop, you add the computer, ps2, xbox, whatever, think that's what I'm gonna put the new xbox in:

http://www.x-arcade.com/htm/cabinet.shtml

Bishop
10-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Toolz.. yeah I didn't buy one of those.. they are too expensive, just an example. I actually brought three old arcade machines and refinished them.. it was a fun hobby for about a week. My machines actually have the X-Arcade controllers.. Cost me maybe $500-$600 per machine. I got the cabinets for almost nothing and bought new inexpensive PCs.

I have three of them when I only really need one ... I had a wild hair when I decided to do it.. went overboard.

Wizzo
10-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Diamond Jim+Oct 14 2003, 03:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Diamond Jim @ Oct 14 2003, 03:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Colin@Oct 14 2003, 03:26 AM
Mine was Galaga. Yours?
Robotron...
[/b][/quote]
:rokk: and Stargate too...;-))

eatapeach
10-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Oct 14 2003, 03:40 AM
Remember the old track ball football games? That was my football fix during the week as a kid. That and my LED handheld football game that was three blips wide. Outjuke all the other blips and get yours to the end zone to score. Fun for hours.
they just re-released those games last year.

my brother got me the football and baseball ones for christmas last year, but i'm not as good at them as i used to be. i used to be the king of led football :)

Toolz
10-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Bishop@Oct 14 2003, 11:30 AM
Toolz.. yeah I didn't buy one of those.. they are too expensive, just an example. I actually brought three old arcade machines and refinished them.. it was a fun hobby for about a week. My machines actually have the X-Arcade controllers.. Cost me maybe $500-$600 per machine. I got the cabinets for almost nothing and bought new inexpensive PCs.

I have three of them when I only really need one ... I had a wild hair when I decided to do it.. went overboard.
How do you like that x-arcade controller? There's easy to find cabinets around here too and looks cheaper just to grab an empty cabinet throw on the new controller and plunk in a good monitor.

Bishop
10-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Toolz+Oct 14 2003, 03:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Toolz @ Oct 14 2003, 03:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Bishop@Oct 14 2003, 11:30 AM

How do you like that x-arcade controller? There's easy to find cabinets around here too and looks cheaper just to grab an empty cabinet throw on the new controller and plunk in a good monitor.[/b][/quote]
I don't know how the X-Arcade controller is compared with other controllers but it feels just like the original arcade controls. I bought the X-Arcade controller because it was on sale at the time.. haha.. free shipping.

Finding an old cabinet is much cheaper than buying a new one or building one.. it would cost your more in time and wood to build one.. I got the three I have from an old vending company. I stripped the machines down and sold the original boards.. which worked.. on ebay. Made my money back from buying the cabinets.

Hell Puppy
10-14-2003, 10:08 PM
I was an arcade junky during their hay day and had consoles at home as well. So I've enjoyed almost everything mentioned.

My favorite would be and still is Joust.

A strong second place would be Spy Hunter, preferably the sit down version.

XXXPhoto
10-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Oct 14 2003, 07:10 AM
"Off in the distance you hear the sound of a bird singing"

~ZORK