PDA

View Full Version : Male contraceptive coming.......

sarettah
10-08-2003, 08:05 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_contraceptive (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20031007/ap_wo_en_he/as_med_australia_male_contraceptive)

Male contraceptive trial results in no pregnancies
Tue Oct 7, 1:13 PM ET
By JAMIE TARABAY, Associated Press Writer

SYDNEY, Australia - A practical male contraceptive could be a step closer after researchers said Tuesday that trials prevented pregnancies among 55 couples using it for 12 months.

The treatment stops sperm production by using implants of the male hormone testosterone under the skin and injections of the female hormone, progestin.

Experts said the results were a significant step forward that builds on many years of related research.

Previous studies have shown that a combination of testosterone and progestin can switch off sperm production in men. However, the latest study is the first to measure the effect on preventing pregnancy — the ultimate goal.

The U.S. government-funded trial, sponsored by Virginia-based family planning organization CONRAD, successfully and reversibly turned off sperm production in the men who took part, said Rob McLachlan, director of clinical research at Prince Henry's Institute of Medical Research in Sydney, Australia.

Carrie
10-08-2003, 09:00 AM
Hot damn... when's it coming here?
And were there any side affects, like weight gain or crankiness?

gonzo
10-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Oct 8 2003, 05:08 AM
No side effects except your dick falls off...

Peaches
10-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Oct 8 2003, 09:08 AM
The report I saw stated that because they were also getting testosterone, their libidos increased. :)

Last edited by Peaches at Oct 8 2003, 10:41 AM

mojobill
10-08-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm all for an alternative means of male contraception... that does NOT involve a knife near my privates! :agrin:

The increased libido is a bonus....

... that is, as long as Gonzo's prediction is false.... lol

Trev
10-08-2003, 10:51 AM
I don't see whats wrong with the way it is now?

Me and my good lady practiced the traditional 'pull out' method for 14 years with no problems... not even when we practiced it with each other

:yowsa: