PDA

View Full Version : Somebody breaks in to your computer.....

sarettah
10-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Another story of folks blaming Microsoft vulnerabilities for a break in...

Now, you would think that if they had proprietary code sitting around, they would keep it on internal boxes not connected to the net.... But Noooo, everybody for some reason thinks all their computers should always be connected to the net even while it is widely recognized that there is NO SECURITY on the internet...

Government shit gets swiped, Credit card databases get swiped, proprietary code being developed gets swiped... And there is usually no fucking reason in hell that this stuff needed to be on a box connected to the net........

There is such a thing as COMMON SENSE that must be used to survive in this world........dammit.....

The internet, as we know it, is barely 10 years old.... Yet we have apparently moved all of our records onto computers that are connected to the net... So, we place the info out in the open.... Sticking a lock that we know is inadequate in front of it and then bitch when the thieves break through the lock ??

Proprietary info, private stuff, anything that you dont want broken into should not be stored where it is directly accessible from the internet..... period.... There are many storage schemes that move sensitive data out of the direct path of the net but still allow access between the sensitive data and the net...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1307532,00.asp

IE Gets Blame for Theft of Half Life 2 Code
By Chris Gonsalves
October 3, 2003

Security experts are blaming known but unpatched vulnerabilities in Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer for the theft and distribution of the source code for a much anticipated new video game.

The source code for Valve Corp.'s Half Life 2, a sequel to the popular shoot-'em-up game that was due out by December, was posted on the Internet on Thursday, according to a statement from Valve Managing Director Gabe Newell. The theft of the code, which was made available for download on the Net, came after a monthlong concerted effort by hackers to infiltrate Valve's network. Malicious activity in the Valve network included denial-of-service attacks, suspicious e-mail activity and the installation of keystroke loggers, Newell added.

Trev
10-03-2003, 02:45 PM
They've got to be real small to get in my computer... :huh:

Forest
10-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Oct 3 2003, 01:53 PM
Steve Martin can get pretty small

:biglaugh: :lol:

Trev
10-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Forest+Oct 3 2003, 07:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Forest @ Oct 3 2003, 07:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Trev@Oct 3 2003, 01:53 PM
Steve Martin can get pretty small

:biglaugh: :lol:[/b][/quote]
I heard that... but I've got a new flat top so I'm thinking I'm safe :D

Last edited by Trev at Oct 3 2003, 08:01 PM