PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl winner

Evil Chris
09-28-2003, 06:10 PM
I know it's a bit early, but I'm going to pick the COLTS as my dark horse favourite to win the Superbowl this year.

This would be my pick for the Natnet pool. B)

XXXPhoto
09-28-2003, 08:39 PM
KC...

Unless they meet the Colts in playoffs and the ghost of Johnny U fucks em again...

Evil Chris
09-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Mark they won't need Unitas...

2nd best defense in the league, soon to be 1st and Manning has more than enough healthy weapons to get the job done. KC will undoubtedly go far though.

sharky
09-28-2003, 09:35 PM
I'm taking the Bucs again. They are only going to get better as the year goes on.

sarettah
09-28-2003, 10:09 PM
<font color="red"><h1>CHIEFS !!!</h1></font>

4 down....12 to go..................

OldJeff
09-29-2003, 06:36 AM
J-E-T-S.....Jets, Jets, Jets

Uh sorry I was dilusional for a minute

Tampa vs Chiefs with KC winning a close one

Priest Holmes sets a couple Super Bowl records.

Yesterday broke the news to me about my Beloved Steelers - they suck - the only teams they will beat this year - suck worse

Forest
09-29-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Sep 29 2003, 05:44 AM
J-E-T-S.....Jets, Jets, Jets

Uh sorry I was dilusional for a minute

after yesterday Im going to have to go with the OTHER team that plays at Giants Stadium

:awinky:

Shok
09-29-2003, 07:59 AM
Yep, I think the Chiefs will take it this year.

ulfie
09-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Sep 29 2003, 05:44 AM
Yesterday broke the news to me about my Beloved Steelers - they suck - the only teams they will beat this year - suck worse
Oh, yea of little faith. They lost to KC and Tennesee, both probable playoff teams. #1 defense in the AFC and the #1 offense in the AFC. Things will get better. :)

gregtx
09-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Is there someplace you can actually pick this on the natnet pickem???

if so .. i guess I must have missed it...

would like to see the Fish go all the way..

and I have a side bet for the C'boys to just make it to the SB...
(they game me 1:100 odds on a $1)... most I loose is $2.. they would each loose $100.. figure it would be worth it.. lol

OldJeff
09-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Ulfie - I wish I could keep your faith - but I have been wishing for the return to glory since 78 - my faith has been weakend.

26 years of dissapointment is tough to swallow.

ulfie
09-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Sep 29 2003, 10:24 AM
Ulfie - I wish I could keep your faith - but I have been wishing for the return to glory since 78 - my faith has been weakend.

I live in the burgh so I have to keep the faith. To not keep it is punishable by death. :D

Evil Chris
09-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Nobody else likes the Colts, huh?

aaahhh what does a Canadian know about American football anyway? :blink:

OldJeff
09-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ulfie+Sep 29 2003, 10:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ulfie @ Sep 29 2003, 10:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OldJeff@Sep 29 2003, 10:24 AM

I live in the burgh so I have to keep the faith. To not keep it is punishable by death. :D[/b][/quote]
I kind of understand, my family is from about 100 miles east of there.

I became a Steeler fan because my mother told me I would be a Steeler fan or I would find somewhere else to live......

She was serious and I was 7 at the time

:)

kath
09-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Sounds like my family - but I'm a little obstinate... I became a Steelers fan @ around age of 7-8 because my whole family is a bunch of die-hard Cowboys fans... think about the time that was (mid-late 70's) and you'll realize what a big football sin I committed by going for the gold & black. lol

Still a Steelers fan after all these years and while I would also love to say that they will come out on top, I have to be realistic. From what I'm seeing it sure looks like the Chiefs will reign this year... whether I like it or not....

:unsure:

Vick
09-29-2003, 12:30 PM
you want Football religion????!!!!!

BALTIMORE COLTS FOOTBALL

yeah that's right the BALTIMORE COLTS

We bled Colts Blue

The BALTIMORE COLTS help make the NFL what it is today (as did the Rooney's)

Think 1958 (before I was born)

the drama and pageantry of the 1958 Championship game
Unitas driving the Colts downfield to beat the Giants in OT

A national spectacle
http://www.nfl-football-videos.com/1958_nf...hampionship.htm (http://www.nfl-football-videos.com/1958_nfl_championship.htm)

Call it the greatest NFL Championship Game of all time. That's how most people describe the 1958 struggle between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, played December 28 in Yankee Stadium. The stars of the day, and there were plenty, were guys like Johnny Unitas, Pat Summerall, Raymond Berry, Charley Conerly, Kyle Rote, Alex Webster and Frank Gifford.

A dozen NFL Hall of Fame players in all played in that game. Three more were on the sidelines coaching. It was the first overtime game in regular or post season history in the NFL. As America watched in fascination on NBC, network executives began to realize the potential for the NFL on television.

Last edited by Vick at Sep 29 2003, 11:44 AM

ulfie
09-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Just for Vick.....

Steelers History

The fifth-oldest franchise in the NFL, the Steelers were founded on July 8, 1933 by Arthur Joseph Rooney. Originally named the Pittsburgh Pirates, they were a member of the Eastern Division of the 10-team NFL. The other four current NFL teams in existence at that time were the Chicago (Arizona) Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears and New York Giants.

One of the great pioneers of the sports world, Art Rooney passed away on August 25, 1988 following a stroke at the age of 87. “The Chief,” as he was affectionately known, is enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and is remembered as one of Pittsburgh’s great people.

Born on January 27, 1901 in Coultersville, Pa., Art Rooney was the oldest of Daniel and Margaret Rooney’s nine children. He grew up in Old Allegheny, now known as Pittsburgh’s North Side, and until his death he still lived on the North Side just a short distance from Three Rivers Stadium.

Rooney attended St. Peter’s Parochial School and Duquesne University Prep School. He studied collegiately at Indiana (Pa.) Normal, which is now Indiana University of Pennsylvania, as well as at Georgetown and Duquesne.

An exceptional all-around athlete, Rooney held middleweight and welterweight titles from the AAU Boxing Championships and was named to the U.S. Olympic Boxing Team in 1920, although he did not participate in the Olympic Games. He played minor league baseball from 1920-25 before a promising career was cut short by an arm injury. Rooney continued playing football for several semi-pro teams in the Pittsburgh area. He was married on June 11, 1931 to Kathleen McNulty, and the couple had five sons — Daniel, Art Jr., Tim, John and Pat. In 1964, Rooney was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame for his contributions to the growth of the NFL and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

By the mid-1960s, Steelers founder Art Rooney had begun to turn over much of the operation of the Steelers to his oldest son, Dan. After having worked in every area of the organization since 1955, Daniel M. Rooney was named president of the Steelers in 1975. Now in his 45th year with the organization, he is one of the most active NFL owners and one of Pittsburgh’s most involved executives in civic affairs.

Among his community activities, Dan Rooney is a board member for The United Way of America, The American Ireland Fund, The American Diabetes Association, Presbyterian University Hospital, The Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation and Duquesne University.

Dan Rooney has been a member of several NFL committees over the past 30 years. He has served on the board of directors for the NFL Trust Fund, NFL Films and the Scheduling Committee. He was appointed chairman of the Expansion Committee in 1973, which considered new franchise locations and directed the addition of Seattle and Tampa Bay as expansion teams in 1976.

In 1976 Rooney was also named chairman of the Negotiating Committee, and in 1982 he contributed to the negotiations for the Collective Bargaining Agreement for the NFL and the Players’ Association. He again played a key role in the labor agreement reached between NFL owners and players in 1993. Rooney is currently a member of the eight-person Management Council Executive Committee, the Hall of Fame Committee, and the NFL Properties Executive Committee. In February 1999, he was named the recipient of the Philadelphia Maxwell Football Club’s Francis J. “Reds” Bagnell Award for outstanding contributions to the game of football.

Daniel M. Rooney was born on Pittsburgh’s North Side on July 20, 1932. He is a 1950 graduate of North Catholic High School, where he played quarterback on the varsity football team. He went on to graduate from Duquesne University in 1955 with a bachelor of arts degree in accounting. Rooney and his wife Patricia live on the North Side. The Rooneys have nine children.

voodooman
09-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Sep 28 2003, 08:17 PM
<font color="red"><h1>CHIEFS !!!</h1></font>

4 down....12 to go..................
Ditto!!!

Almighty Colin
09-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ulfie+Sep 29 2003, 08:53 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ulfie @ Sep 29 2003, 08:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OldJeff@Sep 29 2003, 05:44 AM
Oh, yea of little faith. They lost to KC and Tennesee, both probable playoff teams. #1 defense in the AFC and the #1 offense in the AFC. Things will get better. :)[/b][/quote]
Just checked my calendar. It's not 1978. I was confused there for a second.

BradShaw
09-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Cowboys or Saints, can not decide. I just hope MikeAI was not at the game last night.

Mike AI
09-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by BradShaw@Sep 29 2003, 01:09 PM
Cowboys or Saints, can not decide. I just hope MikeAI was not at the game last night.

I gave my tickets away to Grimm.....

:D

voodooman
09-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by BradShaw@Sep 29 2003, 12:09 PM
I can see where you would want the 'Boys' to win, or even predict them,
but the Aints???

Vick
09-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Funny the Steelers should come up ....

On NFL.com today
Where are they now: Jack Ham
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6671614

BradShaw
09-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Hopefully Grimm did not get upset and start punching random people in the nuts.

Mike AI
09-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by BradShaw@Sep 29 2003, 02:01 PM
Hopefully Grimm did not get upset and start punching random people in the nuts.

If he did that to some of the Saints players, they may wake up and stop playing like zombies!!

sextoyking
09-29-2003, 07:01 PM
I just hope my damm Seahawks make the playoffs this year. Boy would that be nice for a change!!!

:bwave: :bjump: :cdance:

Mike AI
09-29-2003, 08:24 PM
My prediction....

Tampa vs Titans ( Maybe Indy)

clemsontiger
09-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Even though they've come out to a slow start, I'm still gonna stick with my Falcons. Once Vick comes back, the win column will rise quickly. Johnson will get a couple of more wins before Vick comes back too.

Hell Puppy
09-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by clemsontiger@Sep 29 2003, 08:09 PM
Even though they've come out to a slow start, I'm still gonna stick with my Falcons. Once Vick comes back, the win column will rise quickly. Johnson will get a couple of more wins before Vick comes back too.
The wheels have come off the Falcons. Reeves is gonna have to kick someone in the dick if they're gonna win a game before Vick returns. And I dont expect Vick to regain enough mobility to be himself til maybe Thanksgiving.

So far, the defense couldn't cover biscuits if they were gravy. And Johnson couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

cj
09-29-2003, 11:19 PM
Packers!!!!

i bought a greenbay shirt for my boyfriend when i was in usa once - his last name was green and his nickname was 'greenie' ... its the only team i have ever been able to remember the name of & recognise the colors & logo :biglaugh: i've picked them for every game they played all 3 years of pickem :okthumb:

Almighty Colin
09-30-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Sep 29 2003, 11:18 AM
Nobody else likes the Colts, huh?

aaahhh what does a Canadian know about American football anyway? :blink:
They look really good. Dungy-ball looks better with the Colts offense than it did with the Bucs offense.

Bucs/Colts Monday night should be interesting.