PDA

View Full Version : Robert Palmer....age 54... RIP......

sarettah
09-26-2003, 07:36 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/...britain.palmer/ (http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/26/britain.palmer/)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Rock singer Robert Palmer has died in Paris of a heart attack at the age of 54, his manager said.

The British star, whose chart hits in the 1980s included Addicted to Love, suffered the attack in the early hours of this morning, Mick Cater said.

Evil Chris
09-26-2003, 07:49 AM
What a shame... he was entirely too young to go.

Vick
09-26-2003, 09:00 AM
"put on your sailing shoes...."

Robert Palmer had an incredible (early) recording career which included many classics like "Sneaking Sally through the Alley".
Robert Palmer produced a sound that included diverse influences and was truly innovative

A sad day indeed
:cryin:

sarah_webinc
09-26-2003, 09:10 AM
No one ever did so much for long legged ladies with slick backed hair.

Bestat
09-26-2003, 10:12 AM
Man, that sucks :( One day rich and famous, the next dead. And at such an early age. Prayers for his family.

Peaches
09-26-2003, 10:16 AM
I always liked his music and he was easy on the eyes. :(

Last edited by Peaches at Sep 26 2003, 10:24 AM

Carrie
09-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Oh man. :( :(

Nickatilynx
09-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Yup vick.He has quite as they say a body of work besides the 80's hits.

No one ever did so much for long legged ladies with slick backed hair.

But R-n knows I've tried!!! ;)

Far-L
09-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Lowell George wrote it but Palmer sang it best... and they both died too young...

Sailin' Shoes

Lady in a turban, cocaine tree
Does a dance so rhythmically
She's cryin', and a singin' and having a time
and gee that cocaine tree look fine

You've got to put on your sailin shoes
Put on your sailing shoes
Everyone will start to cheer
When you put on your sailin' shoes

Jedidiah, he's got a dime
Says he catch a more fish, every time
Well I've got a line, and you've got a pole
And I'll meet you at the fishin' hole

Doctor, doctor, I feel so bad
This is the worst day, I ever had
Have you this misery a very long time?
Well if you if, I'll lay it on the line

-- Lowell George, and covered by Palmer on the "Sneakin Sally Through the Alley" Album... an amazing record that will endure forever

Vick
09-26-2003, 11:08 AM
You came up on me like a landslide
Once in awhile I get taken like that
And I like it

I’ve got a thunderbird parked right outside
Give me a minute to finish this thing
And we’ll light it.

In all this heat it’s a job keeping cool
Oh yeah
And I could fry an egg on you

You’re gonna get what’s coming
You’ve been asking for it two days running
You’re gonna get what’s coming
You’re gonna get what’s coming to you

I hope that you’re half as intrepid
As you make out
More often than not, I’ll bet
You never got what you asked for

Keep on pouring until you hear me shout
And turn up the sound
If you want me to drive any faster
Caution went out when you walked in the room
If it never came back it would be too soon

Vick
09-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Lyrics from the career a great entertainer
http://www.leoslyrics.com/artists/633/

One of my Favorite covers
"Man Smart/ Woman Smarter "

Let us put man and woman together
And see which one is smarter
Some say men but I say no
The women got the men like a puppet show

Ain’t me, it’s the people they say
The men are leading the women astray
But I say, it’s the women today
Are smarter than the men in every way

That’s right! The women are smarter
That’s right! The women are smarter

A little boy sat down and cried
An old man passing asked him why
He said I can’t do what the big boys do
Old man sat down and he cried, too

Ain’t me, it’s the people that say
The men are leading the women astray
But I say, it’s the women today
Are smarter than the man in every way
That’s right, the women are smarter

kath
09-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Wow... what is the deal???

Anyone else watch the Emmy's? The whole collage of folks we've lost in the entertainment industry just in 2003 was staggering... they started with Bob Hope, then John Ritter - and then the names and faces just kept rolling...

:zoinks:

Nickatilynx
09-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Watch for Cosby to Burn Wanda over not speaking English ;)

sextoyking
09-26-2003, 12:42 PM
My Mom loved his songs...

RIP

Nickatilynx
09-26-2003, 12:47 PM
The number of celebrity deaths is a constant factor.

We just forget......

Robert Palmer, musician best known for Addicted to Love, died September 26 at the age of 54.
George Plimpton, author, died September 25 at the age of 76.
Edward Said, Columbia University professor and spokesman for the Palestinian cause, died September 24 at the age of 67.
Gordon Jump, actor best known as the Maytag Repairman, died September 22 at the age of 71.
Sheb Wooley, musician best known for Purple People Eater, died September 16 at the age of 82.
Johnny Cash, musician, died September 12 at the age of 71.
John Ritter, actor best known for tv sitcom Three's Company, died September 11 at the age of 54.
Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb, died September 9 at the age of 95.
Leni Riefenstahl, director best known for Triumph of the Will, died September 8 at the age of 101.
Charles Bronson, actor best known for the Death Wish series, died August 31 at the age of 81.
Bobby Bonds, baseball star now best known as Barry Bonds father, died August 23 at the age of 57.
Idi Amin, former dictator, died August 16 at the age of 80.
Bob Hope, comedian, died July 27 at the age of 100.
John Schlesinger, director best known for Midnight Cowboy, died July 25 at the age of 77.
Buddy Ebsen, actor best known as Jed on The Beverly Hillbillies, died July 6 at the age of 95.
Barry White, singer known for his sexy songs, died July 4 at the age of 58.
Buddy Hackett, comedian, died June 30 at the age of 79.
Katharine Hepburn, actress, died June 29 at the age of 96.
Strom Thurmond, ultra conservative US politician, died June 26 at the age of 100.
Leon Uris, author best known for novels such as Exodus and Trinity, died June 21 at the age of 78.
Hume Cronyn, actor most recently known for Cocoon, died June 15 at the age of 91.
Gregory Peck, movie star best known as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, died June 12 at the age of 87.
David Brinkley, news anchorman, died June 11 at the age of 82.
June Carter Cash, country music star, died May 15 at the age of 73.
Robert Stack, actor best known for starring in TV's The Untouchables, died May 14 at the age of 84.
Robert C. Atkins, diet doctor, died April 17 at the age of 72.
Cardinal Gerald Emmett Carter, archbishop emeritus of Toronto, died April 6 at the age of 91.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan, one time US senator for New York, died March 26 at the age of 76.
Joseph Coors, brewing giant, died March 16 at the age of 85.
Fred Rogers, of Mr. Rogers fame, died February 27 at the age of 74.
Nell Carter, known for her role in Gimme a Break, died January 23 at the age of 54.
Richard Crenna, actor known for such films as The Sand Pebbles and Wait Until Dark, died January 17 at the age of 76.
Maurice Gibb, star of the Bee Gees, died January 11 at the age of 53.
Sydney Omarr, astrologer to the stars, died January 2 at the age of 76

Philip Berrigan, famed antiwar protestor, died December 6 at the age of 79.
Roone Arledge, TV pioneer, died December 5 at the age of 71.
Glenn Quinn, actor best known as Mark on Roseanne and Doyle on Angel, died December 3 at the age of 32.
James Coburn, actor known for his roles in films such as The Magnificent Seven, Our Man Flint and his Oscar winning performance in Affliction, died November 18 at the age of 74.
Abba Eban, one time Israeli ambassador to the UN, died November 17 at the age of 87.
Jonathan Harris, actor best known as Dr. Smith on the tv show Lost in Space, died November 3 at the age of 87.
Richard Harris, actor best known as A Man Called Horse and most recently as Professor Dumbledore, died October 25 at the age of 72.
Ray Conniff, composer and bandleader famed for songs such as Somewhere My Love, died October 12 at the age of 85.
Teresa Graves, actress best known for the tv series Get Christie Love, died October 10 at the age of 54.
Bruce Paltrow, director but best known as father of Gwyneth Paltrow, died October 2 at the age of 58.
James Gregory, best known as inspector Lugar on Barney Miller, died September 16 at the age of 90.
LaWanda Page, actress best known as aunt Esther on Sanford & Son, died September 14 at the age of 81.
Johnny Unitas, football superstar, died September 11 at the age of 69.
Kim Hunter, actress best known as Stella in A Streetcar Named Desire, died September 11 at the age of 79.
Katrin Cartlidge, actress known for her roles in Mike Leigh films, died September 7 at the age of 41.
Lionel Hampton, jazz legend, died August 31 at the age of 94.
Hoyt Wilhelm, first reliever elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, died August 23 at the age of 79.
Dean Riesner, screenwriter of such films as Dirty Harry, died August 18 at the age of 83.
Jeff Corey, an actor better known as a drama teacher for the likes of James Dean, died August 16 at the age of 88.
Leo McKern, actor best known as Rumpole of the Bailey, died July 23 at the age of 82.
Yousuf Karsh, photographer, died July 13 at the age of 93.
Rod Steiger, actor best known for In the Heat of the Night, died July 9 at the age of 77.
John Frankenheimer, director known for films such as The Manchurian Candidate and Seconds, died July 6 at the age of 72.
Katy Jurado, Mexican actress best known for her role in High Noon, died July 5 at the age of 78.
Ted Williams, baseball's last .400 hitter, died July 5 at the age of 83.
Rosemary Clooney, singer, died June 29 at the age of 74.
John Entwhistle, member of The Who, died June 27 at the age of 57.
Ann Landers, advice columnist, died June 22 at the age of 83.
Darryl Kile, MLB pitcher, died June 22 at the age of 33.
Timothy Findley, prolific Canadian author, died June 20 at the age of 71.
Bill Blass, designer, died June 12 at the age of 79.
Sam Snead, golf legend, died May 23 at the age of 89.
Stephen Jay Gould, science author, died May 20 at the age of 60.
Dave Berg, humourist best known for The Lighter Side of feature in Mad Magazine, died May 16 at the age of 81.
Ruth Handler, the inventor of the Barbie doll, died April 27 at the age of 85.
Linda Boreman, better known as Linda Lovelace star of Deep Throat, died April 22 at the age of 53.
Thor Heyerdahl, adventurer best known for the voyage of the Kon-Tiki, died April 18 at the age of 87.
Robert Urich, star of Vega$ and Spenser: For Hire, died April 16 at the age of 55.
Damon Knight, sf writer best known for his short story To Serve Man, died April 15 at the age of 79.
John Agar, actor best known for films such as Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, died April 9 at the age of 81.
The Queen Mother died March 30 at the age of 101.
Billy Wilder, film maker, died March 27 at the age of 95.
Dudley Moore, actor/comedian/composer best known for his role in 10, died March 27 at the age of 66.
Milton Berle, Mr. Television, died March 27 at the age of 93.
Dalton Camp, Canadian political power broker, died March 18 at the age of 81.
Pat Weaver, network television executive, died March 15 at the age of 93.
Jean-Paul Riopelle, artist, died March 12 at the age of 78.
Spike Milligan, comedian and found of The Goon Show, died February 27 at the age of 83.
Chuck Jones, animator, died February 22 at the age of 89.
John Thaw, actor best known as Inspector Morse, died February 21 at the age of 60.
Harvey Kirck, newsman, died February 18 at the age of 73.
Howard K. Smith, newsman, died February 15 at the age of 87.
Kevin Smith, actor best known as Ares on Xena, died February 15 at the age of 38.
Waylon Jennings, country music legend, died February 13 at the age of 64.
Princess Margaret, sister of Queen Elizabeth II of England, died February 9 at the age of 71.
Peter Gzowski, Canadian media personality, died January 24 at the age of 67.
Peggy Lee, singer, died January 21 at the age of 81.
Ted Demme, director best known for Blow, died January 13 at the age of 38.
Frank Shuster, half of the Wayne and Shuster comedy team, died January 13 at the age of 85.
Dave Thomas, founder of the Wendy's hamburger chain, died January 8 at the age of 69.

Julia Phillips, first woman to win a best picture Oscar as a producer for The Sting, died December 31 at the age of 57.
Eileen Heckart, actress best known for her role as the mother in Butterflies Are Free, died December 31 at the age of 82.
Nigel Hawthorne, actor best known for the title role in The Madness of King George, died December 26 at the age of 72.
John Knowles, author best known for A Separate Peace, died November 29 at the age of 75.
George Harrison, former Beatle, died November 29 at the age of 58.
Ken Kesey, author best known for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, died November 10 at the age of 66.
Anthony Shaffer, playwright best known for Sleuth, died November 6 at the age of 75.
Isaac Stern, violinist, died September 22 at the age of 81.
Ernie Coombs, Mr. Dressup, died September 18 at the age of 73.
Samuel Z. Arkoff, film producer, died September 16 at the age of 83.
Pauline Kael, movie critic for the New Yorker, died September 3 at the age of 82.
Troy Donahue, actor who you may remember from such films as A Summer Place, died September 2 at the age of 65.
Peter Maas, author of Serpico, died August 23 at the age of 72.
Sir Fred Hoyle, astronomer and sf writer, died August 20 at the age of 86.
Kim Stanley, Broadway actress best known for Bus Stop, died August 20 at the age of 76.
Poul Anderson, science fiction writer, died July 31 at the age of 74.
Eudora Welty, Pulitzer prize winning author, died July 23 at the age of 92.
Ely Callaway, inventor of the Big Bertha driver beloved of golfers, died July 5 at the age of 82.
Mordecai Richler, author best known for The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, died July 3 at the age of 70.
Chet Atkins, guitarist, died June 30 at the age of 77.
Joan Sims, actress best known for her roles in the Carry On films, died June 28 at the age of 71.
Jack Lemmon, Oscar winning actor, died June 27 at the age of 76.
John Lee Hooker, blues musician, died June 21 at the age of 83.
Carroll O'Connor, actor best known for his role as Archie Bunker on the tv series All in the Family, died June 21 at the age of 76.
Anthony Quinn, actor best known for his role as Zorba the Greek, died June 3 at the age of 86.
Imogene Coca, actress best known for her role on Your Show of Shows, died June 2 at the age of 92.
Hank Ketcham, creator of Dennis the Menace, died May 31 at the age of 81.
Arlene Francis, actress best known as a panelist on What's My Line, died May 31 at the age of 92.
Perry Como, singer, died May 12 at the age of 87.
Douglas Adams, author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, died May 11 at the age of 49.
Clifton Hillegass, inventor of Cliffs Notes, died May 5 at the age of 83.
Willie Stargell, baseball star, died April 9 at the age of 61.
Louis Dudek, famed Canadian poet, died March 22 at the age of 83.
William Hanna, animation giant best known for his shows The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, and Huckleberry hound, died March 22 at the age of 90.
John Phillips, of The Mamas and Papas fame, died March 18 at the age of 65.
Ann Sothern, actress who starred in the self named tv show, died March 15 at the age of 92.
Morton Downey Jr, talk show host, died March 12 at the age of 67.
Robert Ludlum, author of spy thrillers, died March 12 at the age of 73.
Stanley Kramer, director best known for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, died February 19 at the age of 87.
Dale Earnhardt, NASCAR star, died February 18 at the age of 49.
Howard W. Koch, producer whose credits include The Manchurian Candidate, died February 16 at the age of 84.
Dr. William H. Masters, sex researcher, died February 16 at the age of 85.
Dale Evans, wife and costar of Roy Rogers, died February 7 at the age of 88.
Al Waxman, actor best known for his roles in King of Kensington and Cagney and Lacey, died January 18 at the age of 65.
Les Brown, bandleader best known for his work with Bob Hope, died January 4 at the age of 88.
Ray Walston, actor best known as the star of the tv show My Favorite Martian, died January 1 at the age of 86.

Jose Greco, famed flamenco dancer, died December 31 at the age of 82.
Julius Epstein, screen writer best known for his work on Casablanca, died December 30 at the age of 91.
Jason Robards, Oscar winning actor, died December 26 at the age of 78.
Billy Barty, diminutive actor, died December 23 at the age of 76.
Victor Borge, comic pianist, died December 23 at at the age of 91.
Allan McFee, star of the CBC Radio show Eclectic Circus, died December 12 at the age of 87.
Werner Klemperer, actor best known as Colonel Klink on Hogan's Heroes, died December 6 at the age of 80.
Gail Fisher, actress best known for her role on Mannix, died December 2 at the age of 65.
Ring Lardner Jr., last surviving member of the Hollywood 10, died November 1 at the age of 85.
Steve Allen, original host of the Tonight Show, died October 31 at the age of 78.
Gwen Verdon, Broadway dancer best known as Lola in Damn Yankees, died October 18 at the age of 75.
Julie London, actress best known for her role on the tv show Emergency, died October 18 at the age of 74.
Richard Farnsworth, actor best known for his starring role in The Straight Story, died October 6 at the age of 80.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada from 1968-1979 and 1980-1984, died September 28 at the age of 80.
Richard Mulligan, comic actor known for shows like Soap and Empty Nest, died September 26 at the age of 67.
Paula Yates, media personality best known as wife of Bob Geldof and lover of Michael Hutchence, died September 17 at the age of 40.
Ben Wicks, political cartoonist, died September 10 at the age of 73.
Dr. Morton Shulman, coroner and author, died August 18 at the age of 75.
Loretta Young, actress best known for The Loretta Young Show, died August 12 at the age of 87.
Sir Alec Guinness, actor, died August 5 at the age of 86.
Meredith MacRae, actress best known as Billie Jo in Petticoat Junction, died July 14 at the age of 56.
Walter Matthau, actor best known for his costarring roles in The Odd Couple and The Sunshine Boys, died July 1 at the age of 79.
Vittorio Gassman, actor best known for Profumo di donna, died June 29 at the age of 77.
Nancy Marchand, actress best known for her roles in Lou Grant and The Sopranos, died June 18 at the age of 71.
Maurice (Rocket) Richard, hockey superstar, died May 27 at the age of 78.
Francis Lederer, actor best known for his roles in Pandora's Box and The Diary of a Chambermaid, died May 25 at the age of 100.
John Gielgud, actor, died May 21 at the age of 96.
Barbara Cartland, romance novelist, died May 21 at the age of 98.
Paul Bartel, actor and director best known for Eating Raoul, died May 13 at the age of 61.
Craig Stevens, actor best known as Peter Gunn, died May 10 at the age of 81.
Douglas Fairbanks Jr., actor, died May 7 at the age of 90.
Bob Homme, children's entertainer better known as the Friendly Giant, died May 2 at the age of 81.
Steve Reeves, actor best known for playing Hercules in film, died May 1 at the age of 74.
David Merrick, famed Broadway producer, died April 25 at the age of 88.
Al Purdy, famed Canadian poet, died April 21 at the age of 82.
Larry Linville, actor best known as Major Burns on the tv version of MASH, died April 10 at the age of 60.
Anthony Powell, author best known for A Dance to the Music of Time, died March 28 at the age of 94.
Alex Comfort, author of The Joy of Sex, died March 26 at the age of 80.
Durwood Kirby, comedian best known for Candid Camera, died March 15 at the age of 88.
John Colicos, actor best known for his role as the villain in Battlestar Galactica, died March 6 at the age of 71.
Abe Yanofsky, Canada's first chess grand master, died March 5 at the age of 74.
Sandra Schmirler, Olympic curling champion, died March 2 at the age of 36.
Charles Schulz, creator of Peanuts, died February 12 at the age of 77.
Tom Landry, long time Dallas Cowboys coach, died February 12 at the age of 75.
Roger Vadim, director, died February 11 at the age of 72.
Jim Varney, comic actor, died February 10 at the age of 50.
Doug Henning, magician, died February 7 at the age of 52.
A.E. Van Vogt, science fiction writer extraordinaire known for such novels as The Weapon Shops of Isher, died January 26 at the age of 87.
Hedy Lamarr, movie star, died January 19 at the age of 86.
John Rankin, member of the singing family, died January 16 at the age of 40.
Colin Vaughan, Toronto journalist, died January 1 at the age of 68.

Vick
09-26-2003, 12:53 PM
and the one entertainer too fucking cool who made incredible contributions to music that didn't make that list Nick?

Joey Ramone
Gabba Gabba Hey

Nickatilynx
09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Very true, Vick

We just forget......

SykkBoy
09-26-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Sep 26 2003, 12:01 PM
and the one entertainer too fucking cool who made incredible contributions to music that didn't make that list Nick?

Joey Ramone
Gabba Gabba Hey
As well as Wesley Willis, Michael Jeter and Harry Goz, the guy who does the voice of Captain Murphy on "Sealab 2021"

sarah_webinc
09-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Could be blind but didn't see Warren Zevon in that list..people die all the time..it just sticks in your head when they start to be the entertainers of your own generation