PDA

View Full Version : Which amex card?

BradShaw
09-09-2003, 01:08 PM
I finally got approved for an amex card. Applied a few years ago, and got turned down due to lack of credit history and some bad marks from college.

Any suggestions on which set up with them is best? I got the small business platinum card.

The main reason for getting the card was for the awards program, especially travel. By paying our company bills with the amex card, I could easily do a million + points a year. Anyone use their points for travel?

Peaches
09-09-2003, 01:22 PM
The Delta AMX card gives you the most bang for your FF miles, IMHO. I use USAA's Platinum card - a mile for every dollar on any airline.

Dianna Vesta
09-09-2003, 01:28 PM
I have a friend couple and they use it to buy everything even a 40 foot boat. They just pay it off. They just got back from Tahiti. They are always traveling using points from Amex.

Mike AI
09-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Amex is the best program overall bar none....

I use my points for upgrades all the time.

We were offered the Centurion cad, but it did not offer enough unique benefits to justify the cost... and my ego is not that big.... YET. ( plus most people are clueless about it anyway....)

Business Platinum..... been a member since 1997....

:D

Billy
09-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Business Platinum !

You go girl... Brad you are moving up in the world !!

Maybe we can test it out in Cabo !

Peaches
09-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 9 2003, 01:57 PM
We were offered the Centurion cad, but it did not offer enough unique benefits to justify the cost... and my ego is not that big.... YET. ( plus most people are clueless about it anyway....)

It's funny that they're even admitting they offer that card at all. I dated a guy 19+ years ago that had one and at that time, AMX denied publicly that such a card existed. :P

Mike AI
09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Sep 9 2003, 01:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Sep 9 2003, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Mike AI@Sep 9 2003, 01:57 PM

It's funny that they're even admitting they offer that card at all. I dated a guy 19+ years ago that had one and at that time, AMX denied publicly that such a card existed. :P[/b][/quote]
19 years ago I was playing little league.....

:P

voodooman
09-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Brad,

Tell the truth, the only reason your getting a cc is because your
getting married and that was part of her deal.

BradShaw
09-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by voodooman@Sep 9 2003, 10:28 AM
Brad,

I have plenty of other CC's, but none offer the rewards or service of an AMEX. It will bear only my name on it btw;-)

slavdogg
09-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Get Black Amex

http://home3.americanexpress.com/corp/late...rion_launch.asp (http://home3.americanexpress.com/corp/latestnews/centurion_launch.asp)

http://photo.thetechzone.com/data//500/195...-black.jpg?4638 (http://photo.thetechzone.com/data//500/1951amex-black.jpg?4638)

voodooman
09-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Smart move, your fiance is a nice girl, I dont think she would play
you that way.

Peaches
09-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 9 2003, 02:17 PM
19 years ago I was playing little league.....

:P
Thanks for rubbing that in...... :ph34r:

SweetT
09-09-2003, 10:05 PM
I am almost positive that the Centurian Card and the "Black" card are one in the same. It is also my understanding that the Black card is by invite only....but the only qualification is that you put $30k per month on your Gold/Platinum/Green AMEX card for a straight 12 month period.

The fee for the black card is pretty steep and IMO is only worth it for people who are retired and travel 100% of the time or people who are really, really vein.

I have several AMEX cards, but prefer my oldest one because I got it back in 1993 under a program that they ran called "Rewards Plus"....I get 2 points for every dollar that I put on that card regardless of what it is for and that adds up quickly. Another benefit to AMEX points is that unlike FF miles they *never* expire so be sure to leave them in AMEX until you need them.

As for points, Brad, they are easily transferrable to your Airline FF account, so using them is as easy as your airlines points program. I transfer at least 150k points per month to Delta and back in the day I could travel all month on that....but lately due to Delta's restictions on points it is harder and harder to get point seats. For example, a regular first class point seat is 40k points for a roundtrip ticket. If there are no "point seats" available then you can use 80k points and get any seat on any flight. The 40k seats are getting harder and harder to come by, so if you want to fly at speific times/days you will find yourself spending 80k and that just "gets my goat".

With all of that said, however...I still do it and it is WAY better than spending $2200 for the airline ticket!!!

--T

Mike AI
09-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Damn I wish I got 2 for 1 points.... that is sweet!!

SweetT
09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 9 2003, 09:28 PM
Damn I wish I got 2 for 1 points.... that is sweet!!
I think that is why they disbanded the program...it was probably not the most cost effective promotion that they ever did.....but I have to give them props for sticking to it and not just sending out a mail that says the program is ending....I keep expecting to get that one day.

--T

BradShaw
09-09-2003, 10:39 PM
I just hope I can save up enough points for a southwest airlines flight to houston!

shawcutie
09-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by voodooman@Sep 9 2003, 10:28 AM
Brad,

LOL, I already have my credit card! And no matter how cute you are, if your sugar daddy only gives you a $200 a month allowance, it aint gonna work at Jimmy Choo ;)

Wizzo
09-10-2003, 08:28 AM
There's pleanty of MC/VISAs out there that have rewards programs, many as good as A.E.'s...

My question is why would you want to support a company that has refused to do business with your company or actually your entire industry?

Last edited by Wizzo at Sep 10 2003, 07:36 AM

SweetT
09-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BradShaw@Sep 9 2003, 09:47 PM
I just hope I can save up enough points for a southwest airlines flight to houston!
hehehe....for some reason I don't think that will be a problem :)

Of course, keep in mind that we encourage our larger hosting clients to *not* use credit cards, as it affects our pricing to them. For example, I have a $50,000 per month account that wants to use AMEX and at 3% that would cost me $1500 each month (or $18,000/year) just for them to use their card. The hosting business is already cutting prices so dramatically that hosts are falling like flies, this is just another way to insure that we are here for the long run.

Was I subtle, enough?? ;)

--T

Mike AI
09-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Wizzo@Sep 10 2003, 07:36 AM
There's pleanty of MC/VISAs out there that have rewards programs, many as good as A.E.'s...

My question is why would you want to support a company that has refused to do business with your company or actually your entire industry?

Yeah VISA and MasterCard love this industry and go out of their way for us!!

AmEx is still the best... there is no Visa/Mastercard that can match it overall.

SweetT
09-10-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Wizzo@Sep 10 2003, 07:36 AM

Wizzo...your point is well made and I would be hard pressed to find multiple really good arguments....I, too, like to support companies that are good for our industry.

So, that begs the question, "What credit card company is *good* for our industry?"....the reality is that I do not see MC/V trumpeting our industry....in fact, they are sacrificing people in our industry for their own self-serving greed because they believe that we have no other options.

Personally...in a warped sort of way....I am looking forward to the day when Visa/MC start pulling out of adult. It will pave the way for some smart minds in our industry to step up with alternative ways to pay that will be better, more stable, more profitable, and *good* for our industry....but I understand why those methods will not be cost-effective to implement until they are a last resort.....let's face it, people will figure out a way to pay for our services even if they have to send cash through the US Mail :)

So...I guess the reason that I use AMEX is that between all of the poor choices, they offer the most benefits to me, the end user. Besides....have you tried to apply for a $250,000 Credit Limit on a Visa???

--T

SweetT
09-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 10 2003, 09:20 AM
Yeah VISA and MasterCard love this industry and go out of their way for us!!

AmEx is still the best... there is no Visa/Mastercard that can match it overall.
ROFL!!!

Great minds think alike, huh??

:wnw:

--T

kath
09-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Sep 9 2003, 09:30 AM
The Delta AMX card gives you the most bang for your FF miles, IMHO.
Exactly what I was going to say... once we got our Delta AMEX and used it a couple of months we cut up all of our other cards. On SO MANY LEVELS is was just absolutely the best. No games, no gimmicks - no bullshit. It beats Visa/MC hands down.

:bdance:

BradShaw
09-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by voodooman@Sep 9 2003, 10:43 AM
Smart move, your fiance is a nice girl, I dont think she would play
you that way.
Yes, she is great. She lets me fish all I want. What more can I ask for!