Peaches
08-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Forest@Aug 15 2003, 11:07 AM
Commerce came to a complete hault

no long distance phone calls

no restaraunts, airlines, trains cabs, busses, ect ect

No tax revenues collected

Billions???
I lost 72 cents during the blackout, but it might be on the floor of my car.

Forest
08-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Aug 15 2003, 10:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Aug 15 2003, 10:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Forest@Aug 15 2003, 11:07 AM
Commerce came to a complete hault

no long distance phone calls

no restaraunts, airlines, trains cabs, busses, ect ect

No tax revenues collected

Billions???
I lost 72 cents during the blackout, but it might be on the floor of my car.[/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :okthumb:

Vick
08-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Check under the cushions of Mike's couch for more loose change :P

Mike AI
08-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Any change that fell in my couches automaticly goes to the PHB III ( Billy checks weekly for it!!)

Seriously Forest bring up a good point, this is a setback to the economy - not as bad is it could have been, but there were billions lost.

I know my signups were down last night....

Forest
08-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Aug 15 2003, 10:59 AM
Any change that fell in my couches automaticly goes to the PHB III ( Billy checks weekly for it!!)

Seriously Forest bring up a good point, this is a setback to the economy - not as bad is it could have been, but there were billions lost.

I know my signups were down last night....
Mike

50 MILLION people stopped buying goods and services At the Same time

imagine if this went 3-4 days

:huh:

JFK
08-15-2003, 12:37 PM
I am still calculating, but its all in Canadian, so maybeee .50cents US :groucho:

Forest
08-15-2003, 01:00 PM
things we didnt even think of yet

NO GAS still or 3 hours lines for gas

today is PAY DAY!!!!!

if your living hand to mouth your not partying this weekend

Delay in mail

Webmasters waiting for checks in the area arnet getting them on time so the post count on gfy will be up ( this is the ONLY up side I have found so far)
:P

mojobill
08-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Well, I just got power back at 1PM EST.. was out for 21 hours, and MANY of the surrounding communities are still without power, including the city of Detroit proper....

People RUSHED the stores.. within hours, there were NO batteries, NO flashlights, NO ice... ATM's did not work.. GAS Stations did not work.. people ran out of gas IN the gridlock on the way home ( obviously street signals were out also ) Cabella's ( a 25K sq foot store south of detroit) SOLD OUT of ALL flashlights, batteries, and generators within 3 hours of the blackout... it was a mess! LOL

Probably be a couple days before things even settle down, and gas stations are up and running again.. right now, those that are working look like they did in the 70's during the 'energy crisis'... lines for miles trying to get some gas...

Other than no internet, I could have given a shit.. was like camping as far as I was concerned! LOL

Vick
08-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Forest@Aug 15 2003, 12:08 PM
so the post count on gfy will be up ( this is the ONLY up side I have found so far)
Are you sure that's an upside??? :o

Peaches
08-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Aug 15 2003, 01:38 PM
People RUSHED the stores.. within hours, there were NO batteries, NO flashlights, NO ice... ATM's did not work.. GAS Stations did not work.. people ran out of gas IN the gridlock on the way home ( obviously street signals were out also ) Cabella's ( a 25K sq foot store south of detroit) SOLD OUT of ALL flashlights, batteries, and generators within 3 hours of the blackout... it was a mess! LOL

Probably be a couple days before things even settle down, and gas stations are up and running again.. right now, those that are working look like they did in the 70's during the 'energy crisis'... lines for miles trying to get some gas...
So maybe whatever revenue was lost by some, was gained by others! :)

slavdogg
08-15-2003, 02:12 PM
money will eventually recirculate through the economy in one form or another and i believe the longer term loss would be insignificant.

what wasn’t spent yesterday will be spent tomorrow.

cabbies and shoeshiners will feel the biggest loss

Hell Puppy
08-16-2003, 04:49 AM
Alot of people couldn't spend money even if they found some place open and ready to take it. No power means credit card terminals and ATMs do not work. So unless you had walking around money in cash, you were screwed in the northeast yesterday even if you were worth millions.

Time to stuff those mattresses.

Forest
08-16-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Vick+Aug 15 2003, 12:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vick @ Aug 15 2003, 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Forest@Aug 15 2003, 12:08 PM
so the post count on gfy will be up ( this is the ONLY up side I have found so far)
Are you sure that's an upside??? :o[/b][/quote]
for lens it is

Forest
08-16-2003, 06:19 PM
according to nbc news NYC alone estimates it lost 800M in revenue

thats alot of tacos man

Almighty Colin
08-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Just a quicky guess.

US economy = $10 trillion per year. That's $27 billion per day.

60 million without power at the height. A lot gained power quite quickly. Estimate 1/3 of that 60 million was without power for 3 days (total average). That's 20 million * 3 = 60 million.

That would mean 60million/280million = 20% of US without power for a day.

Assume they contributed 0 to the GDP for that period. So that's about .2*$27 billion = $5.4 billion. My quicky guess. It's probably more than that because not only were the people w/o power not able to buy goods and services in or outside of their area, neither were people outside of the area able to buy goods and services within. So I'd double it. I'll take $11 billion.

Just got back from a 3-day roadtrip. Not going to estimate the error on that. ;-)