PDA

View Full Version : seems like bleeding 'em to death would work

Winetalk.com
08-13-2003, 01:01 PM
The question now is whether Acacia can afford to fight a drawn-out battle. The company has some $40 million in cash, but its burn rate (without the extra expense of litigation) is around $4 million to $5 million a year. Patent lawsuits can cost anywhere from $1 million to $3 million to litigate, and if every industry proves as scrappy as the adult entertainment folks, Acacia could find its war chest shrinking before it can make good on its claims. Indeed, there's no sign that the on-demand hotel movie companies, for example, intend to comply with Acacia's demands. (Both LodgeNet and On Command declined to comment for this story.)

http://www.technologymarketing.com/mc/cont...tent_id=1899661 (http://www.technologymarketing.com/mc/content/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1899661)

Forest
08-13-2003, 01:05 PM
serge

I have been talking up your idea of multiple small claims suits in multiple jurisdiction!!!

paul markham and I spoke at length about it

i think it is a great defense

strong offense on multiple fronts!!!

Winetalk.com
08-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Forest@Aug 13 2003, 12:13 PM
serge

I have been talking up your idea of multiple small claims suits in multiple jurisdiction!!!

Forest,
according to their lawyers who have vested interest in law suits to go on 'till 40 mils are exhausted:
"Attorney Dorman is equally dismissive of the adult entertainment firms. "These companies are so used to people challenging their business on first amendment grounds that they constantly feel victimized," he says. "They're not sophisticated enough to realize that this patent action is just standard procedure in mainstream businesses."
"

adult industry is nothing to them,
therefore they should win
;-))))

uh-uh-uh!

JR
08-13-2003, 01:14 PM
hehe... the lawyers ALWAYS win!
:rokk: :rokk: :rokk:

Winetalk.com
08-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JR@Aug 13 2003, 12:22 PM
that's what my wife says
;-)))

Forest
08-13-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Aug 13 2003, 12:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Aug 13 2003, 12:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JR@Aug 13 2003, 12:22 PM
that's what my wife says
;-)))[/b][/quote]
she always wins in my book

see you soon LL

:bdance: :bwave: :bjump: :cdance: :okthumb: :hic: :stout: :groucho: :salute:

Paul Markham
08-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Forest@Aug 13 2003, 09:13 AM
serge

It sounds like a good idea, I would think it's worth running past a few lawyers first. Think about serving them to appear in court in the UK, Australia, in fact as well as the US.

First we need a list of all those who have been sent the package.

Paul Markham

cj
08-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Paul Markham@Aug 13 2003, 12:49 PM
Think about serving them to appear in court in the UK, Australia, in fact as well as the US.

First we need a list of all those who have been sent the package.

Paul Markham
I'd love to play but i still don't have 'the package' ;-(

Forest
08-14-2003, 08:32 AM
"My approach is to get some deals done and get some goodwill," says Rob Berman, Acacia's senior vp of business development. "I don't want to end up in the bowels of legal hell."
---------------
"We're only asking two percent of the revenue from streaming media firms, and we are willing to give price breaks to those who sign up early on," says Ryan, who adds that this royalty structure compares favorably with the massive fees often demanded in similar situations.

-----------------------
the last thing Ryan wants is a series of legal battles that could take years before Acacia sees any real revenue. And that's where the marketing of patent rights comes in.
---------------------------
Acacia also decided that alleged infringers would sign up more quickly if it looked as if everyone else were jumping on the bandwagon
---------------------------
For Ryan the situation is clearly frustrating. "These companies will end up spending more on litigation than if they just paid the fees," he fumes. -------------------------------

There are several offensive moves to make just by what this guy says in the article

a United front for the industry is the WRONG way to do this

imho

Last edited by Forest at Aug 14 2003, 07:42 AM