PDA

View Full Version : Bush admin appeals for reinstatement of COPA

Almighty Colin
08-13-2003, 09:16 AM
http://www.rednova.com/news/stories/3/2003...3/story003.html (http://www.rednova.com/news/stories/3/2003/08/13/story003.html)

"A Philadelphia-based appeals court has twice ruled that the 1998 law, known as the Child Online Protection Act, unconstitutionally restricts speech. The law has been on hold since it was challenged by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of artists, book stores and others who put information on the Web.

The Supreme Court has reviewed the law once. The justices were splintered in a 2002 ruling that sent the case back to the court in Philadelphia for more consideration of the First Amendment implications.

Jonathan Zittrain, a Harvard Law School professor who specializes in Internet law, said Tuesday that the high court will likely struggle again with what to do. "From the government's view, it can't hurt to appeal because it's essentially a roulette wheel," he said."

Almighty Colin
08-13-2003, 12:08 PM
That's a quiet crowd for such a thread. I guess everyone's responses are obvious.

For example, Torone will say "It'll be Clinton's fault for signing COPA in the first place".

SykkBoy
08-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Gee, next election, do I want to vote democommy or republinazi?

I still hold to my theory that Germans love David Hasselhoff...oh and that George Orwell was just 20 years off ;-)

sextoyking
08-13-2003, 02:17 PM
So true......
--------------------

oh and that George Orwell was just 20 years off ;-)

Lenny
08-13-2003, 03:04 PM
COPA is fairly antiquated at this point anyways. Wasn't it COPA that stated that use of a valid credit card creates a rebuttable presumption that the user is over 18?

Visa and MC are making AVS systems remove all of that text from all of their sites because they don't want to be held liable for age verification, so if this administration really wants to get something done they should scrap COPA and write a new law.

Is it Nov 2004 yet?