View Full Version : Omaha Steaks

Forest
07-28-2003, 03:25 PM
I just got a coupon for 1/2 off their 6oz top sirloin steaks

and there is a store locatiopn near here

any good?

sharky
07-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Yes! Omaha steaks has pretty good product.
I usually place an order thru them a few times a year. However recently I've found a local butcher with nice 90 day aged steaks that can't be beat!
I try and try, but can't beat em!

:-)

Forest
07-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by sharky@Jul 28 2003, 03:03 PM
Yes! Omaha steaks has pretty good product.
I usually place an order thru them a few times a year. However recently I've found a local butcher with nice 90 day aged steaks that can't be beat!
I try and try, but can't beat em!

:-)
I KNEW you would have the answer for me!!!

from what I hear you are the Expert on steaks

I am trying to decide on Omaha's or the same type of well aged beef from a local Italian butcher I usually buy from

His steaks are TO DIE for

maybe i should do a taste test this weekend

:groucho:

Omaha is giving out a sweet set of steak knives with 6 steaks

MissEve
07-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Are the steaks frozen if you buy them at a Omaha store? Ive only had them from mail order. I never thought the filets were better than a good local butcher. The frozen burgers are good though!

Forest
07-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by MissEve@Jul 28 2003, 03:29 PM
Are the steaks frozen if you buy them at a Omaha store? Ive only had them from mail order. I never thought the filets were better than a good local butcher. The frozen burgers are good though!
I dont know

I make GREAT burgers

:groucho:

and a pretty good steak also

:okthumb:

Peaches
07-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Over priced, IMHO. I ordered them a few times via mail, then they opened a store near us in Marietta. I'd buy them on sale every so often, but good steaks from a good butcher are better and less expensive.

If it's 1/2 off, go ahead and give them a try! B)

sharky
07-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Personally, I would go to the italian butcher and buy the aged steaks that are fresh. make the order and go the Day of to pick them up. They always taste better that way.

Miss Eve - the stores sells them just as you would see them online... Only the usually offer a few more discounts.

Forest
07-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Ralph's it is!!!!

He is much more fun to chat with anyway im sure!!!

we talk about the "Old Country"

My grandfather knew his father in the 70's

lol small world

Im going to get the omaha's just for the cutlery set
6 steaks for 30.00 plus a 7 peice set with cutting board

:bjump: :salute:

ulfie
07-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Way overpriced and I always thought the steaks from the local butcher were better anyway. Their half off deals are usually worth it though. They aren't bad filets just not the best I ever had which they should be for what they charge.

Forest
07-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by ulfie@Jul 28 2003, 06:10 PM
Way overpriced and I always thought the steaks from the local butcher were better anyway. Their half off deals are usually worth it though. They aren't bad filets just not the best I ever had which they should be for what they charge.
reg price is 52.99 for 6/6 ounce filets

:zoinks:

dont think that includes shipping either

gregtx
07-28-2003, 07:16 PM
I've still got a couple ribeyes in my freezer... was not overly impressed...

I too believe you can get better beef at your local butcher... Omaha Steak just has a solid marketing campaign....

but then again..i'm been eating Elk and Venison since last November... GOOD STUFF!!!

Forest
07-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by gregtx@Jul 28 2003, 06:24 PM

but then again..i'm been eating Elk and Venison since last November... GOOD STUFF!!!
:wnw: :wnw: :wnw:

Venison sausage

mmmmm

never had elk. My cousin is a game warden in Wyoming and hunts every year..

His freezer is always full

wargames
07-28-2003, 07:44 PM
i like fillet steaks

steves
07-28-2003, 08:33 PM
http://lobels.com

Best steaks I've had. Expensive but real USDA prime. Omaha's are USDA choice.

Hell Puppy
07-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Proper aging is the key. Omaha is good, but I concur with everyone else, if you find a good local butcher, you'll find something better and cheaper. Same is true of Chicago Stockyards and all of the other premium steak mail order joints.

I'm not convinced that something isn't lost in the flash freezing process.

MissEve
07-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by gregtx@Jul 28 2003, 06:24 PM
I've still got a couple ribeyes in my freezer... was not overly impressed...

I too believe you can get better beef at your local butcher... Omaha Steak just has a solid marketing campaign....

Greg,

Did you hunt the venison? Wanna trade for some Alaska salmon? :)

I went to this odd store the other day to buy buffalo and I grabbed a rack of venison, it turned out to be 50 bucks! Apparently I picked out the equivalent of kobe beef in venison. It was good though.

Peaches
07-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by MissEve@Jul 28 2003, 09:49 PM
Greg,

Did you hunt the venison? Wanna trade for some Alaska salmon?

If it's from the pictures they showed, "hunt" isn't the word I'd use. :awinky: Though if you got the salmon when you and KC scooped it up in nets, then it might be a fair trade! :okthumb:

Hell Puppy
07-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jul 28 2003, 08:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jul 28 2003, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--MissEve@Jul 28 2003, 09:49 PM
Greg,

Did you hunt the venison? Wanna trade for some Alaska salmon?

If it's from the pictures they showed, "hunt" isn't the word I'd use. :awinky: Though if you got the salmon when you and KC scooped it up in nets, then it might be a fair trade! :okthumb:[/b][/quote]
Salmon *does* travel well. Always a good plan to pick some up and ship it back when in the pacific northwest.

I'm a high maintenance bitch these days, I dont wanna take time to hunt or catch it, i just wanna buy and eat it.

Mike AI
07-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Omaha Steaks are tasty - get dozens delivered to me during Christmas!!

BradShaw
07-28-2003, 10:44 PM
I still have quite a bit of elk and deer from our hunt last Nov. Going to take it to a homeless shelter within a couple weeks. Can not wait to go hunting again this fall, but no high fence for me, old style hunting.

Toolz
07-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Gonna give the animals a sporting chance this year Brad? :) How about one where the animals can fight back?:
http://www.tednugent.com/ranch/wild_board_boogie.shtml

Omaha's aren't bad, depending on what area of the country you live in, if you've got local farms nearby chances are you've got local meat markets and can pickup fresh, as in butchered that morning steak, nothing beats that.

Sharky, never understood the aging process, few places I had the aged steak I wasn't impressed, I'm the kinda guy who likes it slightly chilled after killed, then warmed on both sides for about 10 seconds before serving though.

Last edited by Toolz at Jul 29 2003, 05:44 AM

gregtx
07-30-2003, 12:19 AM
damn.. we should have shipped out a chest freezer to Florida and handed out elk and venison at the booth...

hmm.. theme for january show ;)

I'm sure we can send you some Miss Eve... just get me an address...

I had stuffed bell peppers tonight made with elk sausage... mmmm mmm

we've got filets, hamburger, chili meat, breakfast sausage, dried smoke rings, regular smoke rings, and possibly some jerky....

gregtx
07-30-2003, 12:22 AM
oh.. and Toolz.. brad has changed his view on hunting... and fishing...

hes been looking at bows.. and he fishes with his bare hands.. "noodling"

come on peaches.. I still got up at 4am.. .sat in a wooden box and froze my ass off... and I also waited till the last day to take a trophy... passed on some smaller whitetail...

Forest
07-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by gregtx@Jul 29 2003, 11:27 PM
damn.. we should have shipped out a chest freezer to Florida and handed out elk and venison at the booth...

hmm.. theme for january show ;)

I'm sure we can send you some Miss Eve... just get me an address...

I had stuffed bell peppers tonight made with elk sausage... mmmm mmm

we've got filets, hamburger, chili meat, breakfast sausage, dried smoke rings, regular smoke rings, and possibly some jerky....
Ship me some

Ill throw it on the BBQ for everyone to enjoy!!!

Man I LOVE game meats!!!

Peaches
07-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by gregtx@Jul 30 2003, 12:30 AM
come on peaches.. I still got up at 4am.. .sat in a wooden box and froze my ass off... and I also waited till the last day to take a trophy... passed on some smaller whitetail...
Hunt deer like we do here in the hills - hit them with your car. B)

(damn things are EVERYWHERE! :angry: )

Toolz
07-30-2003, 09:51 AM
The car isn't so bad Peaches, it's the motorcycle/atv you have to worry about hitting them on. I don't slow down in my off-road toy with the big bull bars on the front but freak out whenever I'm riding my motorcycle out along deer alley at night.