PDA

View Full Version : Mayor for sale Mayor for sale...

sarettah
07-02-2003, 10:09 AM
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-...p-regional-wire (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--bloomberg-gaymarr0702jul02,0,6361809.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire)

NEW YORK (AP) _ Republican Mayor Michael Bloomberg distanced himself from his party's position on same-sex marriage less than a week after the U.S. Supreme Court handed down a decision to overturn a Texas anti-sodomy law.

"I have always thought that people should be allowed to go about their business themselves," Bloomberg said at a news conference. "I don't know why any of these platforms should deal with issues like that."

Bloomberg's comments come a year before New York hosts the Republican National Convention. The party's platform at the 2000 convention strongly supported a "traditional definition of 'marriage' as the legal union of one man and one woman," and is endorsed by President Bush.

Wizzo
07-02-2003, 10:33 AM
I have no doubt that he is no less for sale than any politician, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the article?

There's alot GOP members that would support his position...

sarettah
07-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Wizzo@Jul 2 2003, 09:41 AM
I have no doubt that he is no less for sale than any politician, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the article?

There's alot GOP members that would support his position...
Perhaps no more for sale and no less for sale... But, he ran as a republican and claimed to support the core of the party agenda...

This is in total opposition to the party agenda, so appears to me to be a sell out of sorts....

Although I guess he really isn't a republican...lol... He is pro choice and pro gay rights, sounds like a moderate democrat to me....

Mike AI
07-02-2003, 11:12 AM
sarettah Bloomberg is a liberal democrat.... he was before he ran for Mayor... He is pitiful and will ruin the advances Guiliani made.

Party label means nothing.... its actions and voting that counts.

sarettah
07-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jul 2 2003, 10:20 AM
Bloomberg is a liberal democrat
Well, I guess if it was good enough for Reagan........

:yowsa: