PDA

View Full Version : Online flight reservation sites?

TheEnforcer
06-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Can anybody recommend any good and safe sites to book flights on besides Expedia?

Forest
06-28-2003, 05:59 PM
http://www.cheapseats.com

use them all the time

Forest
06-28-2003, 06:02 PM
te

and if your not too picky about the times or carrier do this

find the cheapest flight on 4 sites

go to priceline.com

request a ticket for 1/2 of the cheapest fare you found then work your way up in price if they dont accept your first bid

I do at all the time when bringing girls here and priceline usually beats everyone by atleast 25%

Peaches
06-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Jun 28 2003, 05:59 PM
Can anybody recommend any good and safe sites to book flights on besides Expedia?
http://www.orbitz.com

Then go to the airline's site of the fares that look good. I've found them to be less at the airline's site - at least w/ Delta.com

And I don't think Southwest is on Orbitz at all, if they serve your area, so you have to use their site.

TheEnforcer
06-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll check em all out.

kath
06-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Just a hint here... I generally check out the rates on Expedia.com-like sites and then go directly to the airline site (like delta.com, etc.) and double-check the rate. It's usually LOWER on the actual airline site than on the reservation sites. We've saved a lot of $$$ doing it that way...

:yowsa:

sarah_webinc
06-30-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm guessing you are american but if you are in the Uk go to ebookers.com . In a past life I was one of a team of about 5 people that started up their internet sales department. Now they are everywhere. Oh well.

*KK*
06-30-2003, 04:47 PM
If you use the airlines site and are a frequent flyer, you generally get additional miles for booking online at their site directly.

Prices are usually comparable as well --

sarettah
06-30-2003, 08:30 PM
I do all the legwork on the net...

Look up fares, find my cheapest...

Then I call my travel agent and tell them to find me a cheaper one and they usually do :)

Keeps them in business although I really don't see how at the prices I usually end up at....

Peaches
06-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Jun 30 2003, 08:38 PM
Keeps them in business although I really don't see how at the prices I usually end up at....
It DOESN'T keep them in business, does it? I thought the airlines stopped commissions to travel agencies or drastically reduced what they paid. Every TA I know makes their money on packages, not plane tickets. :(

sarettah
06-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jun 30 2003, 07:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jun 30 2003, 07:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarettah@Jun 30 2003, 08:38 PM
It DOESN'T keep them in business, does it? I thought the airlines stopped commissions to travel agencies or drastically reduced what they paid. Every TA I know makes their money on packages, not plane tickets. :([/b][/quote]
I don't know... But, they gladly take my calls and are more than happy to get me my tickets and I don't do package deals....

In fact, they send me notices of their flight specials eachmonth, the whole bit..... So, they obviously want me to come back...

Maybe they're waitingfor me to be rich and start doing the jetsetting thing...lol.... Hope they aren't holding their breath...lololololol

:yowsa:

sarah_webinc
07-01-2003, 04:31 AM
in the UK anyway, the agents already made next to nothing on an economy seat (a couple pounds) and then British Airways reduced the rate of comission they give to the agents to 7%. Well, over here a ticket to NYC in low season could be something like £250. So, the money made off that seat barely covers the labour involved. It is hotels, car rental and especially travel insurance where the money is made.

Remember, that whilst online reservation systems are good it doesn't stop human error and people who simply don't read the rules of the fare. When we were setting up ebookers a good portion of my day was spent calling up people who didn't read the rules of the fare and attempted to book something they couldn't have. There is a place for trained professionals.