PDA

View Full Version : Spelling. You are all alone ...

Almighty Colin
06-27-2003, 10:02 AM
You are are all alone and writing something only you will see. You are not sure how to spell a word. Will you look it up?

mojobill
06-27-2003, 10:06 AM
If I wite something with misspellings, and no one else sees it, how would I know??

:ph34r:

Peaches
06-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Colin@Jun 27 2003, 10:10 AM
You are are all alone and writing something only you will see. You are not sure how to spell a word. Will you look it up?
I voted yes. I'm anal about spelling. My problem is that I type slower than I think and I frequently leave out words and letters. :(

And my handwriting has gone to crap with the use of computers. :angry:

Almighty Colin
06-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jun 27 2003, 09:46 AM
My handwriting is illegible now.

I have to spell everything according to Webster. It'll annoy me if I'm not sure.

Anyone else suddenly forget how to spell a word? When I was speaking German I kept spelling school wrong. It judt didn't look right in English.

Peaches
06-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Colin@Jun 27 2003, 10:55 AM
Anyone else suddenly forget how to spell a word? When I was speaking German I kept spelling school wrong. It judt didn't look right in English.
Constantly and it's not because I know another language. :( 2 years of French and 3 of Spanish and I can't read, write, speak or understand either.

The worst is when I'm handwriting something and there's no spellcheck - I forget how dependent I am on it until then, lol!

Strangely, I have a 37 year old brother who NEVER learned cursive. Apparently no one cared as he aced private schools his whole life and has a degree. :zoinks:

Nickatilynx
06-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Peaches,

I voted yes. I'm anal about spelling.

You are so anal ........sofa cushions must dissappear up your ass when you are watching TV !!!!!

;-))))))))

gigi
06-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Oh yes, I'd look it up...lol. Not only for my own sanity, but also for future reference. ;)

I remember being devastated after writing a book review at some book site. My review was approved with one small change.....'definately' to 'definitely'. I was so embarrassed, and let me tell you....I've NEVER forgotten how to spell definitely since. ;)

[edit...hahaha...fixed spelling...lmao]

Last edited by gigi at Jun 27 2003, 08:49 AM

Peaches
06-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jun 27 2003, 12:41 PM
Peaches,

I voted yes. I'm anal about spelling.

You are so anal ........sofa cushions must dissappear up your ass when you are watching TV !!!!!

;-))))))))
No, they disappear !!

:nyanya:

Almighty Colin
06-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jun 27 2003, 10:22 AM
Strangely, I have a 37 year old brother who NEVER learned cursive. Apparently no one cared as he aced private schools his whole life and has a degree. :zoinks:
I haven't written in cursive since I was in grade school.

Almighty Colin
06-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by gigi@Jun 27 2003, 11:47 AM
What'd you have to fix? devastated?

gigi
06-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Jun 27 2003, 09:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jun 27 2003, 09:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--gigi@Jun 27 2003, 11:47 AM
What'd you have to fix? devastated?[/b][/quote]
Nope...embarassed to embarrassed...lol

Vick
06-27-2003, 06:45 PM
I have terrible handwriting and use a form of shorthand if it's just for myself
However I am very dependant on printers, spell check and typing

The English language does not readily lend it's self to simple phonetic spellings

cj
06-27-2003, 11:10 PM
I would rarely bother to look something up if it was just for myself ... unless its for future reference ... usually when i'm writing or typing its to get an idea out of my head or to get things down on paper before i forget them. If i bothered to check the spelling of every word I didn't know, i'd never get whatever it was written down ...

I do find that I care more when others will be reading my work ....

My worst is punctuation of apostrophe's (sp? fuck it!) ... i can never remember the rules of where they go. Sometimes it bothers me that i can't remember such a simple thing BUT who really cares ... if i'm writing something important, i use a spell check and have someone proof read for me ...

can't
cant

you'd all know what either meant so is it worth the backspacing to fix it?
i'm just lazy really ... which is why i often spell you're 'your' ;-)

Peaches
06-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by cj@Jun 27 2003, 11:18 PM
My worst is punctuation of apostrophe's
"My worst is punctuation of apostrophe's" <-----wrong use of one, hehehe B)

(sorry, I'm giddy tonight - beautiful sunset today - no morning glories though :( But we did have some fresh cherry tomatoes off the vine, so I'm sure we can find a sexual connotation there! :lol: )

cj
06-27-2003, 11:30 PM
:biglaugh:
oops, i guess i should have looked that one up ;-))

no morning glory for you either huh?
i never thought i'd miss being poked in the back
:biglaugh:

Timon
06-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Jun 27 2003, 09:10 AM
I don't even spellcheck my posts here or my emails for that matter so I would definitely not spellcheck something nobody else would read...

But then again I have a good excuse for bad spelling... Me stoopid forrenner ;-)

voodooman
06-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Jun 27 2003, 08:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jun 27 2003, 08:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Peaches@Jun 27 2003, 09:46 AM
My handwriting is illegible now.

I have to spell everything according to Webster. It'll annoy me if I'm not sure.

Anyone else suddenly forget how to spell a word? When I was speaking German I kept spelling school wrong. It judt didn't look right in English.[/b][/quote]
wen I was righting everthing, I cood speel correcly, but cince I hav bin awn the net my speelin has gon ta shit.