PDA

View Full Version : New Metallica CD

Blaze
06-05-2003, 03:45 PM
I was a huge Metallica fan from "Kill 'Em All" through "Master of Puppets". (Even "Justice" had a couple good tunes) Then they kinda got soft on me.

So lately I've been reading all kinds of reviews/articles/promo about their new CD St. Anger which came out today. Everyone is talking that it is old school Metallica. Let me just say this: it's not!

This is a final release? Sounds like a freaking demo! No production whatsoever! And James can't sing! there are some good riffs, but not much else. It's over. Metallica died with Cliff and there is no coming back apparently.

Had to get that off my chest. Opposing viewpoints are welcome.

SykkBoy
06-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Lars Ulrich needs to be beaten with a big stick

his ego is highly present on the new cd....someone should take away his snare drum and beat him with it....

the cd does have it's moments, but still disappointing overall...

I think they had a problem of delivering near perfection with "Master Of Puppets" and how do you top perfection? It's like Slayer trying to top "Reign In Blood" probably not going to happen.........

...almost slipped into GFY mode there..... ;-)

Blaze
06-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Jun 5 2003, 11:56 AM
It's like Slayer trying to top "Reign In Blood"...
So true. Can't be done. That's a resident of my top 5 of all time.

Vick
06-05-2003, 04:19 PM
not 100% sure if this is true but I heard advance copies of the CD got out (and were being downloaded on the internet) so Metalica pushed up their release date and might not have had time to polish the tracks as much as they would have like

Again this is rumor and I have not heard this as fact

MikeW
06-05-2003, 04:28 PM
..and Justice was the last album of theirs I bought, and that was 'lackluster' at best.

but I guess I'm getting old so their new stuff isn't supposed to sound good to me anymore right??
:blink:

SykkBoy
06-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Blaze+Jun 5 2003, 03:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Blaze @ Jun 5 2003, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SykkBoy@Jun 5 2003, 11:56 AM
It's like Slayer trying to top "Reign In Blood"...
So true. Can't be done. That's a resident of my top 5 of all time.[/b][/quote]
Mine too
in fact, it's on top of the stack for this roadtrip I'm taking this weekend...
even my kids like Slayer...
my wife went to two different Slayer shows pregnant (once with my oldest son and again with my daughter) so maybe they're pre-disposed to like Slayer? ;)

on the line in "Angel Of Death" where the lyric is "Abascinate, eyes that bleed..." my son asked me "did he say "ass that bleeds?" I thought it was kind of funny :-) of course I actually had to lookup abascinate myself to explain to him what the word meant...hehehehe

some kids sing along to Barney...my kids sing "Angel of death, monarch to the kingdom of the dead..." LOL

Almighty Colin
06-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Sykk,

What do you think of Evanescence?

SykkBoy
06-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Jun 5 2003, 04:13 PM
Sykk,

overrated

not bad, but I'm so sick of hearing that song....over and over...I forbid my wife from listening to the radio in the car now........I can almost set my watch by the time that song comes on the radio (seemingly regardless of music format)

laura99
06-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Jun 5 2003, 01:13 PM
Sykk,

I love that song! But I don't listen to the radio or anything very often. The video is really cool.

I was a huge Metallica fan in 1989-around 1995? I've seen them in concert 3 times, great everytime. But yes, they went soft. I'm afraid to listen to this new cd they have out. I love all different kinds of music, Jewel's new cd came out the other day and I listened to it online and I'm not super impressed with it either. Very few songs that I liked, she definitely went a different direction with her music, latin/popish. But you can't like everything. As long as they have musical, vocal, songwriting talent, I give them a chance. I really can't stand rap or hip hop, the music makes me crazy, same beat over and over and OVER. I need humans playing the real instruments. :D

Blaze
06-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Jun 5 2003, 01:04 PM
some kids sing along to Barney...my kids sing "Angel of death, monarch to the kingdom of the dead..." LOL
That's hilarious. Their teachers must wonder what the hell is going on.

When I met my wife, she wasn't into Slayer. But after a few months with me she kept saying "Strangulation, mutilation, cancer of the brain..." Maybe that's why her dad didn't like me.

SykkBoy
06-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Blaze+Jun 5 2003, 04:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Blaze @ Jun 5 2003, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SykkBoy@Jun 5 2003, 01:04 PM
That's hilarious. Their teachers must wonder what the hell is going on.

When I met my wife, she wasn't into Slayer. But after a few months with me she kept saying "Strangulation, mutilation, cancer of the brain..." Maybe that's why her dad didn't like me.[/b][/quote]
ever since I accidently wore my purve.com shirt to a parent-teacher conference with my son's teacher, I get odd looks anyways....

I've turned my wife into a Slayer fan as well....she used to be into all that Bon Jovi hairband type stuff and I turned her on to the likes of Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Exodus, etc. (still can't get her into death metal or grindcore, but I'm trying ;-))

I'm looking forward to when I can actually take my son to his first Slayer concert or better yet...GWAR ;-)

Blaze
06-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Sykkboy, we need to have a drink sometime. I don't know anybody who is into the same stuff I am. You seem to be hitting all the metal bands I have loaded on my iPod.

My wife got into King Diamond pretty big. I even got her into Slayer, Death and some of the other heavies.

Almighty Colin
06-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy+Jun 5 2003, 04:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SykkBoy @ Jun 5 2003, 04:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Colin@Jun 5 2003, 04:13 PM
Sykk,

overrated

not bad, but I'm so sick of hearing that song....over and over...I forbid my wife from listening to the radio in the car now........I can almost set my watch by the time that song comes on the radio (seemingly regardless of music format)[/b][/quote]
Amy Lee is hot.