PDA

View Full Version : Segway. Anyone ride one?

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 12:54 PM
We have been looking for some new ideas, some new business opportunities that are unique but also potentially profitable.

One of the ideas we have been flirting with is renting Segways here in New Orleans. Like renting jetskis....

http://segland.com

We have 5 of them in.... I rode it for the first time yesterday for about 20 minutes. I have to say it was pretty cool. They get a LOT of attention, I had at least 40 people stop and ask me about it. Some even circles the block and pulled their car over to ask about it.

I will get some photos later, Sig is bringing them by the HiRise office so we can cruise some more....

My only concern is with City Law... motorized vehicles are not allowed on the sidewalk - so that could be a major issues. Especially here in NO where you have a bunch of thieves running the city.

Almighty Colin
06-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Beach tourists are into all those bike/scooter/etc rentals. Might play well in Tampa area too (e.g. Treasure Island).

Peaches
06-05-2003, 01:09 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea! Colin has a point where it might do better in Tampa if the laws regarding motorized vehicles are stricter in NO. Heck, rent them out at the next Vegas Internext - you KNOW people would pay good money not to have to make that walk. :awinky:

They just need to come up with a 4WD one and Wig and I can open up one of your franchises here! :okthumb:

sextoyking
06-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Mike,

I kinda think that's a good idea man.. NO is a tourist attraction. Lots of cities in the usa, especially vacation places rent our Mopeds, they seem to do well. Ride down the Boardwalk, see the mississippi on a Hi tec Ride :)

Peaches
06-05-2003, 01:13 PM
The Outer Banks would be good - I'll run it for you there. :) They have a lot of bike lanes. I would think that places that have these bike lanes would be the best bet.

What kind of insurance do you get for them? Is it expensive? And where do you get repairs?

Turner
06-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Here in Vancouver they aren't sure what to do with them either...
I think it's a good business idea though.

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 01:20 PM
I have already told Sig we need to do it in Tampa area....

He wants to start in NO since that is where we are all located, and build the business model from there. If it works, we would look to expand, fanchise, etc....

The numbers he has come up with makes it a potentially very nice business.....

Anotehr issues is protecting ourselves from lawsuits - because someone will sue us, its not a matter of if, but when....

sextoyking
06-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Mike,

yeh first thing is checking out pricing on good Lib. insurance, that is a must.

Mojo
06-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Mike,

I made my first gazillion ( :awinky: ) renting bikes and surreys at the jersey shore.

I had about 12 surreys at $5k each and they would last for about 3 years and I'd rent them for $15.00/hr.

As soon as I saw the Segway I thought to myself "I need to get back into the rental business..."

The thoughts I'd have with it are how long is the learning curve before you can set a renter loose and insurance cost/availability.

Opti
06-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Damn good idea... that sounds like something that could easilly become a popular small business very fast.. if the plan comes together as profitable it might be worth designing a franchise system for it up front that could be sold off the drawing board to an operator/investor to make happen for you.

I wonder how many segways you would need to pre-order to corner the marlet for a couple of years or so... :yowsa:

Vick
06-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Love the idea
Hate the insurance nightmare
Am thinking maybe along the lines of renting jetskis as far as liabilities? (which is a big business in a lot of places)

You have a crack legal team there so you know what the liabilities will be and am sure you have looked into waivers for renters, all needed insurances and security deposits from renters

Do I get a discount with the NO branch when I come down? :D

p.s. What is the city of NO's feeling on it? Be a bitch to start the business then the City Father's pass some restrictive laws, particularly about not being able to ride in the quarter or Audubon park

sarettah
06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Good idea....

Fort Myers Beach Franchise please... including all of sanibel and captiva, hell throw in Naples while you're at it....

Somebody gonna do the venture financing ??? Otherwise we gotta do with whatever lady Visa can handle....

The outer banks would work ok up around Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills but down south of there, unless you can fit it with a fishing rod holder or a surfboard trailer I don't think it would be big demand.....

:yowsa:

Peaches
06-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Jun 5 2003, 05:28 PM
The outer banks would work ok up around Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills but down south of there, unless you can fit it with a fishing rod holder or a surfboard trailer I don't think it would be big demand.....

I was actually thinking northern OB in addition to Nags Head, Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil - Duck, Corolla, etc. all have bike lanes on the road. :)

And really, even as far south as Ocracoke there are tons of places you could ride one.

I'm ready to move and start up "Peaches' Segway Franchise" :agrin:

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 06:11 PM
http://www.lukemccoy.us/segway/segway029.jpg

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 06:12 PM
This is classic!!

http://www.lukemccoy.us/segway/stan.gif

Stan the Man!!

:rokk: :rokk: :rokk: :rokk:

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 06:17 PM
http://www.lukemccoy.us/segway/mike1.gif

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 06:32 PM
http://www.lukemccoy.us/segway/buff.gif

HAHAHAHAHA

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 06:33 PM
http://www.lukemccoy.us/segway/mike2.gif

Yes we have too much time on our hands today!!

sarettah
06-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jun 5 2003, 04:33 PM
I was actually thinking northern OB in addition to Nags Head, Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil - Duck, Corolla, etc. all have bike lanes on the road. :)

And really, even as far south as Ocracoke there are tons of places you could ride one.
[/quote]
:)

Ocracoake would definitely work :)

Also Hatteras (town of)... I lived down there for 4 years and still get back every year or so... So, when I think of the OB I think of from Hatteras in the south to Pea Island North, pretty much Hatteras Island...lol...

And I don't think they would work real well in Buxton, Frisco, Avon, etc because the distances would be a lot greater... Most of the time I am there I don't see too many bikes, could be because everyone is cruising the one road at 60+ :)

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 07:25 PM
The Guys at my office have way to much free time on their hands!!!!! (http://www.lukemccoy.us/segway/segstan.html)

Almighty Colin
06-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Nice, Mike :-)

KC
06-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Nice Mike!

Is that the "Marsh Ninja Tournament Fishing Shirt" by chance???? hahaha

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 08:04 PM
KC good eye!!!

I know you wear yours with PRIDE all the time!!

KC
06-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jun 5 2003, 07:12 PM
KC good eye!!!

I know you wear yours with PRIDE all the time!!
I'm wearing it now!! I prefer the khaki though!

Could this be a new niche? Amateur Segway content?

Winetalk.com
06-05-2003, 08:16 PM
..and this is how I would ahve done it

http://www.lukemccoy.us/segway/segstan.html

;-)))

KC
06-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 5 2003, 07:24 PM

;-)))
hahahahahaha

The Stan Dance!!!!

hahahahahaha

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Yeah the Stan Segway dance is a CLASSIC!!!

:rokk: :rokk: :rokk:

Peaches
06-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 5 2003, 08:24 PM

;-)))
Oh my!!! :biglaugh: :yowsa: :D

Vick
06-05-2003, 09:39 PM
You are ALL SEXIST PIGS!!!

Where are scantily clan women driving these segways??

I insist on seeing scantily clan women driving these segways
or I will report you to the secret American Goverment agency F.U.C.K

Females Undressed Cruising for Kicks federation!!!!

Last edited by Vick at Jun 5 2003, 08:47 PM

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Never fear Vick, we have some shoots lined up next week!!

Think there is a niche site waiting to be developed?

BangSeg? haha

Vick
06-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jun 5 2003, 08:56 PM

BangSeg? haha
I love it!!!!!!!

You should Ride that wave before everyone else does :D
Then Buff you Really be a Stunt Cock!!!!

See Buff the Stunt cock pick up Segway Sluts!!

segwaysluts.com cuming soon he he he

Mike AI
06-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Vick, I have seriously been thinking of ideas of how to make a site with it.... but they are all too cheesy... I do not think they would work.

*KK*
06-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Cool idea -- only real problem I see with it for starters is the city and what they may or may not allow -- I'm sure the horse n buggy guys aren't going to like you either, since you're competition --

The second and biggest problem is how do you control the liability on the rental side, both for personal injury and for damage/theft of the scooters?

Seems like you'd have to do it nearly the same way as rental cars -- don't let anyone without a dl and a cc rent -- tho you could allow them to rent additionals for their kids on their accounts I guess -- and get Sig and Kim to work up some ironclad releases that will help you when you get sued --

Marketing it shouldn't be too hard, would be nice if you could find a way to attach a little wire basket to each of them -- that way the rider could put packages in the basket and you could put a little signplate on the front with the name and phone number or location of the rental booth ;)

Vick
06-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jun 5 2003, 09:06 PM
Vick, I have seriously been thinking of ideas of how to make a site with it.... but they are all too cheesy... I do not think they would work.
MikeAI - we are ill people
Now you have me thinking how to get Buff tall enough to work with a girl on the handlebars of the Segway

I can see it now, Buff crusies, picks up a chick and gets her on the handelbars, stops for a little um ... snack, then gets in montion while in motion. Don't ask how he's going to work the moneyshot he he he

If our friend Forest can do the fat guys can fuck site anything might be possible

KK - all good points, I'm still thinking along the jetski rental model as far as rentals

Almighty Colin
06-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 5 2003, 07:24 PM

;-)))
Check your connection speed in rotations per minute.

sarettah
06-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jun 5 2003, 08:56 PM
Never fear Vick, we have some shoots lined up next week!!

BangSeg? haha
www.nakedseg.com

ulfie
06-05-2003, 11:48 PM
I think this is an awesome idea and could franchise well if the liablility problems could be worked out. KK raised some good issues though. These things aren't cheap. Rental car companies charge huge premiums to people under 25 to rent a car. I have to think that mom, dad, and the kids taking these things out for the day or a few hours or whatever is the target audience. Do you need a drivers liscence to drive one? If you don't, how does the insurance company handle it when a 14 year old runs into the back of your Mercedes and messes up her pretty little face? Well, you have a great legal team so I'm sure you'll figure that stuff out. :)

How do these things handle on terrain other than sidewalks or paved surfaces? If they can handle grass and steep hills I can think of a great place I can put them in tomorrow.

Mike AI
06-06-2003, 12:12 AM
Ulfie, you and KK make some great points. Sig is on top of them, but its still going to be tough. If we can work out the liability and legal issues, I think we will be on to something...

With Sig anything is possible!!

:rokk: :rokk:

Timon
06-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jun 5 2003, 09:06 PM
An exhibitionist / flasher site!!

Chicks who cruise the town on Segways and pull up their shirts and their skirts while they drive it down town!

*KK*
06-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Just was hit with another thought regarding the rentals -- something that would be a good idea with probably a good bit less red tape to start with and get some ideas as to the accident and damage rate etc -- if you've ever been to any kind of auto racing -- indy, nascar, drags, etc -- you always see the booths where people can rent the scooters, golf carts, etc for use at the track -- same thing at events like Jazz Fest where people can get wheelchairs, rascals, etc to use -- might be worth it to hook up with an event promoter and test market the product in a more controlled environment, both to collect data and to see how the demand goes.

Something like Internext would be a great place to try it but I don't think you'd get the Venetian or the Sands (tho I hear we are moving to Mandalay) to agree to let you do it :(

ulfie
06-06-2003, 01:12 AM
mmmmmm, a wheelchair or golf cart isn't quite the same thing. You have to be able to stand to ride one of those Segways. The reason people get carts is because they can't stand for long periods of time due to disabilites or they are just lazy. Could be a hit with the lazy crowd though. ;)

*KK*
06-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by ulfie@Jun 5 2003, 09:20 PM
mmmmmm, a wheelchair or golf cart isn't quite the same thing. You have to be able to stand to ride one of those Segways. The reason people get carts is because they can't stand for long periods of time due to disabilites or they are just lazy. Could be a hit with the lazy crowd though. ;)
Most of the people in golf carts at the race track are using them for transport, not because they can't walk --

speaking of golf carts, I wonder if any of the golf tourneys would be interested in renting them out for their staffers to get around... you could make quite a nice little auxillary business providing services like that to major events, if you could get a lock on the concession --

ulfie
06-06-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by *KK*@Jun 6 2003, 01:06 AM

speaking of golf carts, I wonder if any of the golf tourneys would be interested in renting them out for their staffers to get around... you could make quite a nice little auxillary business providing services like that to major events, if you could get a lock on the concession --
Thanks for spilling my idea to the world. :P That's why I asked how they worked on grass and hilly terrain.

*KK*
06-06-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by ulfie+Jun 5 2003, 10:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ulfie @ Jun 5 2003, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--*KK*@Jun 6 2003, 01:06 AM

Thanks for spilling my idea to the world. :P That's why I asked how they worked on grass and hilly terrain.[/b][/quote]
Oh damn ulfie, I'm sorry. Ah well, you need some partners?

Opti
06-06-2003, 02:58 AM
You can usually reduce the insurance premium on items like this if they are customised in some way that makes them difficult to resell or less attractive to steal.

Good excuse to do a custom paint job. maybe even rebrand it as a "HiRiser" or something too.

I want one in canary yellow with flames painted along the side! :D

Dravyk
06-06-2003, 10:01 AM
LMAO! Great pics, Mike!

The Stan Dance is hysterical!

Have to admit though, from a distance it looks like people are riding on top of two Oreos stuck together. hehe

Mike AI
06-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Drav you are too skinny to be thinking about food like that!!

Ulfie, they work very well in grass.... they say not to try steep hills, but I think the Segway could do it - there are some other tires you can use which have better traction.

Problem in NO, or actually a good thing for our busiess, is we have no hills.... so I won't be able to test it out here easily...

Segways were banned in San Fran due to the steepness of hills.... I would imagine they would go flying if person does not know how to handle them well....

Jesse_DD
06-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Mike, not sure about this. First, yes, the laws.

Some place it might work is a place like KeyWest. I rented scooters there and it was convenient. But, the cost of a segway is far more than that of a scooter? so, you would have to charge maybe 5 - 6 x more. I am not sure how many peeps would do that.

I think once the price comes down on them it might work.

One thought is bring them into a local scooter rental place on "consignment" and see how it does. That may be the only way to really test the theory. Of course if it does work then you'll have the scooter place rushing out to buy some himself

Last edited by Jesse_DD at Jun 6 2003, 07:05 AM

Mike AI
06-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Jesse, our target price right now is $20 per 1/2 hour.....

So far most people when asked on the street seemed happy with that price. Of course its a novelty right now, so people would pay their $20 and go for 30 minutes....

There would also be discounts for longer periods, and packages....

Plus we will be marketing this to people who have a little more money....

RichC
06-06-2003, 11:34 AM
that dude from En Sync who was hosting the MTV movie awards last night was riding on one of those at the end of the award show ... kinda funny

Jesse_DD
06-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Mike - I guess that one segway rental a day and you would probably do okay. I mean 20$ x 30 = $600 a month. You'll make your money back in 5 - 6 months. Wonder what the upkeep is. Do you have to send them away everytime the smallest thing goes wrong? When you do that it might be out of commission for 30 days? The insurance for one of those scooters was around $100 a person so you would have to get maybe 500$ a person.

I think as a novelty item in a place like NO (big transient crowd) it might work. It would have to be in a transient place like that. Once the novelty wears off maybe the price comes down and you can rent them for the day.

I know that one problem with scooters is theft. How do you protect against that. My guess is that once you start getting into the 1/2 day and full day rentals people will be taking them to restaurants and hotels, etc. how do you keep them from being the #1 item on peoples "5 finger" list

Billy
06-06-2003, 02:01 PM
"how do you keep them from being the #1 item on peoples "5 finger" list "

This is where I come into play : )

*KK*
06-06-2003, 04:07 PM
LOL, they'll be making a Segway version of the LoJack!

I think the idea has some merit, most definitely, it's just a lot to work out -- sort of the same set of crap to deal with as opening a bar, since you have so many insurance problems at various junctures, you have to get the city on your side, and the neighbors probably don't want to see you coming into the neighborhood ;)

How are these things around salt water? It would really make a ton of sense to rent them for a day by the beach, like people do bikes and stuff, provided they will maneuver on the sand and not require too much maintenance from the salt spray --

Opti
06-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Rather than trying to get laws changed all over NO to start with maybe you could design a 30min scenic points route the renters had to stick to and sell the idea to the City as a tourism booster.. if they want it they will have to frame whatever law is needed for you ;-))

Mike AI
06-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Opti, that makes perfect sense.... but this is New Orleans you are dealing with.

The politicans are only concerned with what will help them line their pockets.....

Opti
06-06-2003, 08:45 PM
That was kind of what I was getting at.. I meant if it makes the city money they may be more inclined to pass a suitable law..

or are we talkin more old fashioned style incentives :headwall:

xmedia
06-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Rental units in waikiki (sp?) or any other major tourist spot. Big interest by the Japanese. I bet you'd be booked 100% of the time. They rent practically everything in Hawaii. Unfortunately Honolulu has banned them from the sidewalks.