PDA

View Full Version : Rising Cost of Health Insurance

Dianna Vesta
06-04-2003, 08:03 AM
I got a letter from my health insurance company, Mutual of Omaha is telling me that my Major Medical has increased from 103.00 dollars a month to 308.00 a month! Keep in mind that I have a 2000.00 dollar deductible, I never go to the doctors and I haven’t filed a claim with them the whole 4 years I’ve been with them. The reason for the increase is “Due to rising cost of healthcare”

A few days later I get a letter from a Tampa Mutual of Omaha rep telling me that in six months they will no longer offer Major Medical and that she was contacting me to assist me in finding another policy.

What the hell? So they want to end the plan but for the last 6 months they want to charge me 200.00 more?

What insurance do you have and what type of coverage.

I also have Travelers Life Insurance which is like a whole life plan – an investment vehicle. I have disability which I highly recommend. I had a friend who broke her arm and couldn’t work for almost two months. There was other stuff wrong too but the disability kicked in and although it didn’t pay her full salary, it helped a lot.

Winetalk.com
06-04-2003, 08:18 AM
doctors salaries have to be REGULATED, insurance and healthcare cost USA citizens MORE than organiszed crime...

Dianna Vesta
06-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 4 2003, 07:26 AM
doctors salaries have to be REGULATED, insurance and healthcare cost USA citizens MORE than organiszed crime...
Serge what do you think of Socialized medical - isn't that what they do canada?

JR
06-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 4 2003, 04:26 AM
why are doctors the problem?
i always thought our legal system was the problem.

Winetalk.com
06-04-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta+Jun 4 2003, 07:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dianna Vesta @ Jun 4 2003, 07:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Jun 4 2003, 07:26 AM
Serge what do you think of Socialized medical - isn't that what they do canada?[/b][/quote]
I am against it.
My parents were medical doctors, both of them,
it wasn't money what brought them into the profession
(in the days of USSR the blue color worker was making more than my parents)

today medical care is BUSINESS and NOTHING more...and this si what's wrong with it.

Winetalk.com
06-04-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by JR+Jun 4 2003, 07:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JR @ Jun 4 2003, 07:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Jun 4 2003, 04:26 AM
why are doctors the problem?
i always thought our legal system was the problem.[/b][/quote]
both

JR
06-04-2003, 09:05 AM
i think we should kill attorneys and monitor health care cost levels until they reach an acceptable level... then temporarily suspend attorney killing until further notice.

JR
06-04-2003, 09:09 AM
i would never advocate just killy attorneys all willy-nilly like.

i would issue permits and it would be well regulated.

JR
06-04-2003, 09:10 AM
and i think we would have to register and license guides for non-resident attorney hunters who want to go to a different state for a nice trophy attorney.

Dianna Vesta
06-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by JR@Jun 4 2003, 08:18 AM
and i think we would have to register and license guides for non-resident attorney hunters who want to go to a different state for a nice trophy attorney.
man JR whatever you're smoking please bring me some!

lol :rolleyes:

Winetalk.com
06-04-2003, 09:44 AM
JR, is this lawyer resentment by any chance caused by you marring one?
;-)))

Peaches
06-04-2003, 09:54 AM
I heard that MOO was pulling out of the individual health care arena. :(

I have BCBS, $313 a month, $500 deductible, $20 office visits, 80% of prescriptions (after the $500 deductible).

Healthcare is getting more and more expensive mainly because the people that DO pay for care, are paying for all those that DON'T pay for care. Those millions of uninsured people in the country STILL go to the doctor/hospital. And at least in GA, they cannot be denied care based on lack of insurance or ability to pay. So they run up a $50K hospital bill, walk out the door, and never think about it again. :angry:

We are spending millions and millions of dollars to keep people alive that probably should be allowed to die with dignity.

Many people have decided that health insurance is a right that they should get when they work for a company. When someone else is footing the insurance bill, they go to the doctor for every sneeze. I grew up in a home like this - IBM had one of the best employee insurance around and my mother took FULL advantage of it. Insurance actually paid to get my EARS PIERCED! :zoinks:

In addition, many insurance companies (health, home, auto, etc.)weren't charging rates based on what it cost to insure you because they were happily making their money in the stock market. Stock market goes boom, rates rise.

I don't think they should EVER regulate doctor's salaries - if they start capping them, then who's next?

Many hospitals around here have closed. Many doctors are getting out of the practice of medicine (most notably ob/gyn).

I wish I had an answer that would solve everything. :(

JR
06-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 4 2003, 05:52 AM
JR, is this lawyer resentment by any chance caused by you marring one?
;-)))
oh shit! i got ahead of myself.

http://www.pleasurelabs.com/pics/julia.jpg

Dianna Vesta
06-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Peaches I hear what you're saying and I agree with most of it. IN the long run the government needs to be more responsible. After all most states impose car liability insurance, right? You have no choice, you must pay for it or you can’t drive. Why can’t they do the same with healthcare? I think it should be a choice but when it gets to the point that I’m paying for someone else then that’s just wrong.

After all I could also just say “fuck it” and be one of those people who takes that free ride and fucks over the hospital and doctor. I don’t plan on getting sick but I do want to be prepared for an emergency.

Is your plan for a non-smoker rate? It still sounds good if it includes doctors visits and only 500.00 deductible?

Can you send me the details so I can check it out?

Peaches
06-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta@Jun 4 2003, 10:27 AM
Is your plan for a non-smoker rate? It still sounds good if it includes doctors visits and only 500.00 deductible?

Yes, it's for non-smoker.

I bought it directly through BCBS of GA - here's what I found for FL:
http://www.bcbsfl.com/ocyh_individ/individual.cfm

My policy is a PPO.

Hope that helps! :)

Dianna Vesta
06-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jun 4 2003, 09:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jun 4 2003, 09:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Dianna Vesta@Jun 4 2003, 10:27 AM

Yes, it's for non-smoker.

I bought it directly through BCBS of GA - here's what I found for FL:
http://www.bcbsfl.com/ocyh_individ/individual.cfm

My policy is a PPO.

Hope that helps! :)[/b][/quote]
::: big hug and kiss::::

Thanks a bunch!

Peaches
06-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta@Jun 4 2003, 10:58 AM
::: big hug and kiss::::

Thanks a bunch!
This means if you see me in FL - you MUST COME AND TELL ME WHO YOU ARE! :nyanya:

Mike AI
06-04-2003, 11:11 AM
It is definately a racket, and something needs to be done. However, socialized medicine would be the worst thing we could ever do.

There needs to be insurence reform, MAJOR tort reform.... trial lawyers are a major problem ( not just with medical issues either).

I also noticed that we as a country tend to go to the doctos much more, over every little thing, and expect to pnly pay $5 or $10 or whatever it is for your co-pay. I think medical insurence should be for MAJOR health issues.... back in the day health insurence was called catostophic insurence because it covered teh major things, not just going to the Dr. for a cold, or the flu.

We need some help.....

Peaches
06-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jun 4 2003, 11:19 AM
I also noticed that we as a country tend to go to the doctos much more, over every little thing, and expect to pnly pay $5 or $10 or whatever it is for your co-pay. I think medical insurence should be for MAJOR health issues.... back in the day health insurence was called catostophic insurence because it covered teh major things, not just going to the Dr. for a cold, or the flu.

We need some help.....
Exactly. Health insurance is the only insurance we have that pays for preventive and standard care. Obviously your auto insurance would cost a lot more if it covered oil changes and tire replacement and your home owner's would be more if it covered the AC repair and painting. :ph34r:

If consumers were responsible for paying for their own preventative and standard care, then rates would be lower.

I have a feeling we're heading that way forcibly - soon the average person will only be able to afford catastrophic coverage. I would get that now if my migraine meds weren't so expensive. :angry:

sextoyking
06-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi,

We all have Kaiser Perm. at our company. Not too bad, an HMO - $5.00 office visits, 5.00 drugs, etc. Good plan if you have Kids.

But the monthly bills aren't exactly free, 2 adults and 4 kids cost $850.00 per month, what can you do? You have kids, you have to have Medical.

Dianna Vesta
06-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by sextoyking@Jun 4 2003, 11:52 AM
Hi,

We all have Kaiser Perm. at our company. Not too bad, an HMO - $5.00 office visits, 5.00 drugs, etc. Good plan if you have Kids.

But the monthly bills aren't exactly free, 2 adults and 4 kids cost $850.00 per month, what can you do? You have kids, you have to have Medical.
Wow Todd! That's why people go to work for major companies with good benefits, right?

Damn. My son is a grown man now but I'm really glad I just had one.

Todd can you ICQ me about what we talked about last week?

sarettah
06-04-2003, 01:16 PM
$635.00 out of pocket a month to cover myself, my wife and 1 child... and that is after the employer chips in the 80% they cover on me...

My wife and I rarely use it... Probably should :)

My twins mom used to run to the emergency room for everything... Hell, when my son was 10, he got a splinter under his fingernail... I wasn't home and she decided that it was an emergency, so she took him to the emergency room... They actually treated him for it instead of turning him away, then they sent me the bill....

We ended up in court over it with my lawyer reading them the state laws on emergency room care... The hospital stated that they could not legally turn her away and since I was the one who's insurance it was, that I had to pay the $450.00 bill... My lawyer won.. State law here says that I was responsible for all "reasonable and necessary care", State law also says that a "hospital cannot turn a patient away in an emergency". Emergency is defined somewhere in the statutes as "Life threatening". We proved that $450.00 to remove a splinter was not "reasonable" and that doing it in the emergency room was not "necessary" and that state law did not require them to treat the splinter because it was not "life threatening"...

I wanted the judge to order my son's mom to pay the bill and all of my legal and the hospitals legal... He wouldn't do it... Hospital had to pay my legal, remove me from being the responsible party on the bill and put her in there as the responsible party....

Anyway, this little diatribe was just to illustrate how the medical costs get higher. Hospitals DO NOT have to treat everyone that comes into the emergency room... In my state at least, they can turn them away if it is not life threatening... Unfortunately, most are afraid to do this and end up passing the costs on to everyone else and then blaming the laws....

sextoyking
06-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi Dianna,

Yep benefits mean alot to people. Our company has always paid our medical, dental,etc.

I do think the plan that some of the dems in my party are proposing is a good one. Give people the option of Buying a health plan like the congress, and all Federal Employees get. Not for free, but cheaper then these local hmo's charge.

Why should working people suffer and get no or expensive health care when our postmen and women, and congressmen get great medical?? They are elected and paid each month with our money :)

MissEve
06-04-2003, 03:43 PM
I have free health care in Alaska because I am part Eskimo. The fucked up thing is that the dental clinic does subpar work so today I am going to the dentist and will pay cash for it. On the other hand, everything else I need is free. They even send me birth control pills in the mail :)

Peaches
06-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by MissEve@Jun 4 2003, 03:51 PM
I have free health care in Alaska because I am part Eskimo. The fucked up thing is that the dental clinic does subpar work so today I am going to the dentist and will pay cash for it. On the other hand, everything else I need is free. They even send me birth control pills in the mail :)
So for all your land, we gave you free crappy dental care, and a free way to keep from reproducing....sounds fair. :zoinks:

MissEve
06-04-2003, 04:27 PM
LOL!! Exactly! Except....when I go to the clinic there are PLENTY of young native girls with bad teeth AND babies!

I guess you can lead a horse to water but you cant force them to take the pill?

Peaches
06-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by MissEve@Jun 4 2003, 04:35 PM
I guess you can lead a horse to water but you cant force them to take the pill?
Hehehe - exactly! I've always thought it would be a good idea that when you go to collect welfare for your second kid, you only get paid when you come in to get your Depo-provera shot. B)

Hell Puppy
06-04-2003, 10:59 PM
The healthcare system in the U.S. is broken, and it's scary to think what's going to happen as the baby boomers age.

Insurance is rapidly becoming completely unaffordable even in company policies with young healthy demographics.

And there is no easy answer. Eliminating sniffle and sneeze claims would save a good bit, but you still take a beating on the prescriptions. Many people couldn't afford the medicine prescribed if they couldn't use the drug card. Drug costs are outrageous.

Socialized medicine or any sort of regulation would very likely hurt the level of care received. Look at many countries that have it and how long it takes to get something like an MRI. You want to continue to encourage the best and the brightest to enter profession. Would you really want your doctor's office ran like the Post Office?

Unfortunately, I think some form of socialized medicine is now inevitable. The costs are already out of hand and will have to get worse as a large segment of our population ages. People will demand it as a vast majority of the population considers health care to be a basic human right.

Dianna Vesta
06-05-2003, 08:35 AM
I've been calling around. I found this info and it looks interesting:

http://www.msaadvantage.com

If you are self employed you may qualify for an MSA- Medical Savings Account

It has a high deductable, mine is $2500.00 yearly. If I stay healthy money I've paid in can go towards retirement investments. I'm still insured 100% and up to 3 million.

I'm getting more info on it today but it sounds like it's what I need.

A person who has kids should definately check it out. You're paying all that money in and never seeing it. If you have a healthy family why throw it away?

has anyone here heard about it?

I'll check back later. I've got a lot of errands to run.

DV

Peaches
06-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta@Jun 5 2003, 08:43 AM
I've been calling around. I found this info and it looks interesting:

http://www.msaadvantage.com

If you are self employed you may qualify for an MSA- Medical Savings Account
DV - MSA's are GREAT! If I didn't have migraine medications that allowed me to hit my $500 deductible the first two months, I would have gone that route. :)