PDA

View Full Version : Webmaster Employment Opportunity

cj
06-04-2003, 02:59 AM
I'm looking for a Brisbane based webmaster, working from home, to handle the following duties:

+ Updating of members areas
+ Designing of members area templates
+ Sorting/uploading content
+ Building members area features

The successful applicant must have the following qualities:

+ Self motivated, with the ability to work unsupervised
+ Creative, with ideas for unique member content & the ability to implement these ideas
+ Eagerness to learn & improve existing skills

Skills required:

+ HTML
+ Photoshop & Dreamweaver

This is a ground level position, with a great learning opportunity for the right person to work with a dynamic team of experienced web professionals in a growing business.

Please email me cj@purve.com with examples of your work & details of your experience in the industry.

The webmaster must be based in Brisbane. Will *consider* sydney based webmasters if you meet the requirements.

thanks!

Rox
06-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Damn, if only I were single, child-free and a renter... I'd relocate, I hear Brisbane's fabulous! It's the home of CJ, what more does it need?

deepundercover
06-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Hey CJ, I'm available...

sarettah
06-04-2003, 11:25 AM
She said a webmaster, not a cut and paste hack.... I mean this job would require more html code then a simple < BR >

:biglaugh:

Last edited by sarettah at Jun 4 2003, 12:44 PM

kath
06-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Rox@Jun 4 2003, 07:22 AM
Damn, if only I were single, child-free and a renter... I'd relocate, I hear Brisbane's fabulous! It's the home of CJ, what more does it need?
EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read this..... *sigh*

Think the kids would miss me if I just snuck off in the night??? lol

...very cool offer....hope you find someone good CJ....sounds like a great opportunity for whomever steps up to the plate....

:okthumb:

dantheman
06-04-2003, 11:33 AM
doesnt joe6pack live in brisbane :)

goodluck CJ

Peaches
06-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Oooh! I'd love a change of scenery and Brisbane looks like a nice change! :okthumb:

But alas, I don't know HTML, Photoshop or Dreamweaver, so I'm guessing that probably puts me out of the running. :headwall:

Dianna Vesta
06-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jun 4 2003, 10:44 AM
Oooh! I'd love a change of scenery and Brisbane looks like a nice change! :okthumb:

But alas, I don't know HTML, Photoshop or Dreamweaver, so I'm guessing that probably puts me out of the running. :headwall:
peaches if you know Dreamweaver you know HTML- lol- It's a simple program. I personally still use Frontpage but just as an editor. I'm ok with graphics, nothing fancy. I normally hire a designer to do the main graphics on my sites then I do the rest.

CJ why do they need to live by you? I'm just curious.

Do you need any part time writers?

voodooman
06-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by deepundercover@Jun 4 2003, 09:23 AM
Hey CJ, I'm available...
DUC,

she said you must know html.

cj
06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by deepundercover@Jun 4 2003, 10:23 AM
Hey CJ, I'm available...
i'd rather eat razor blades that work with you luke, but thanks for offering

:barfon:

cj
06-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta@Jun 4 2003, 11:28 AM

timezones
meetings
and basically ... because i said so ;-)

I know all the advantages of the internet blah blah but i want someone close by for management purposes. i've done the 'over the net' hiring and its a pain in the ass unless you get just the right person ...

part time writers soon ;-)
i'm in sydney at the moment working on something new you will like ;-)

DV, Peaches, Rox, Kath, I'd love to have any one of you on board if you made it down under ;-) Wow imagine that team?!?!??? Could the guys handle it?!
LOL

voodooman
06-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by cj+Jun 4 2003, 06:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cj @ Jun 4 2003, 06:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Dianna Vesta@Jun 4 2003, 11:28 AM

timezones
meetings
and basically ... because i said so ;-)

I know all the advantages of the internet blah blah but i want someone close by for management purposes. i've done the 'over the net' hiring and its a pain in the ass unless you get just the right person ...

part time writers soon ;-)
i'm in sydney at the moment working on something new you will like ;-)

DV, Peaches, Rox, Kath, I'd love to have any one of you on board if you made it down under ;-) Wow imagine that team?!?!??? Could the guys handle it?!
LOL[/b][/quote]
I for one would think it would be incredible to work in an all girl office.

:yowsa:

Hell Puppy
06-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by voodooman@Jun 4 2003, 07:52 PM

I've done that. It's close to pure hell. For one thing, they all get their PMS sync'd up.

And dont even think about trying it if the office has only a single uni-sex toilet.

sarettah
06-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by cj@Jun 4 2003, 07:46 PM

A little of the old "If I can't see you, you must not be working", perhaps ?

Wouldn't matter to me... I get away with not working even with a manager over my shoulder :nyanya:

Peaches
06-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy+Jun 4 2003, 10:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hell Puppy @ Jun 4 2003, 10:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--voodooman@Jun 4 2003, 07:52 PM

I've done that. It's close to pure hell. For one thing, they all get their PMS sync'd up.

And dont even think about trying it if the office has only a single uni-sex toilet.[/b][/quote]
I would rather be unemployed than work in an all girl office. I was usually the only girl in an all-guy office and that was perfect.

Though I'll never forget the ONE DAY I was really stressing and started crying about something. I've never before and never since cried in the office. They almost killed themselves trying to find out what was wrong and then trying to cheer me up, lol! :yowsa:

One of my friends was a manager of 10 women at Sprint. He had each of their time-of-the-months marked on his calendar. He claims it was the only way he could get out of there alive. :awinky:

BTW, HP - they're building a Lowe's next to the SuperWalmart. :angry:

Ironhorse
06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Hey CJ, I could move to Brisbane and you can show me that australian strap on up close, I can't wait. Should I send you my resume or just pack my bags? :inlove:

Last edited by Ironhorse at Jun 5 2003, 12:30 AM

cj
06-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Ironhorse@Jun 5 2003, 01:30 AM
Hey CJ, I could move to Brisbane and you can show me that australian strap on up close, I can't wait. Should I send you my resume or just pack my bags? :inlove:
lol

it depends, can you build members areas with all that distraction???!?!??

Rictor
06-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta@Jun 4 2003, 08:28 AM
peaches if you know Dreamweaver you know HTML- lol- It's a simple program. I personally still use Frontpage but just as an editor.
If you know Dreamweaver, you know HTML? :blink:

Dreamweaver is just like Frontpage. It's a shortcut for people who don't know HTML. Unless you can pull out a sheet of paper and write out the code for a website, then you don't know HTML. That's exaclty what I had to do every time I applied for a webmaster job.

cj
06-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Rictor@Jun 5 2003, 12:43 PM
Dreamweaver is just like Frontpage. It's a shortcut for people who don't know HTML. Unless you can pull out a sheet of paper and write out the code for a website, then you don't know HTML. That's exaclty what I had to do every time I applied for a webmaster job.
Dreamweaver is NOT just like frontpage ... frontpage is a total piece of crap written for net dummies. dreamweaver is a development tool built by one of the leading web companies and it works really well if you know how to use it. The only thing i care about is the end result and how long it takes to get there.

i can write html code out on a piece of paper too ...

woopie doo!

Vick
06-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by cj@Jun 5 2003, 08:43 PM
i can write html code out on a piece of paper too ...

Does it count if I can piss HTML in the snow after a few pints??

:stout: :stout: :stout:

cj
06-05-2003, 09:47 PM
you're hired!

Vick
06-05-2003, 09:57 PM
For drinking pints, pissing in the snow or writing HTML?
or all 3 at once

You knew we love ya CJ

:inlove:

cj
06-06-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Vick@Jun 5 2003, 09:05 PM
For drinking pints, pissing in the snow or writing HTML?
or all 3 at once

You knew we love ya CJ

:inlove:
all 3 at once!

(now this i want to see!)

ulfie
06-06-2003, 01:58 AM
All html design tools like dreamweaver and especially frontpage suck. They add way too much superflous code. I use dreamweaver and fireworks because they work well together but they are the best of a bad lot. I end up editing out a lot of the code that dreamweaver puts in but you need to know HTML and Javascript to do that.

I'm not applying for the job even though I would love to move to Australia but I'm just pointing out the fact that using some canned software package doesn't make you a qualified webmaster. When things start fucking up you need to know how to fix them and being a dreamweaver "guru" isn't going to help you.

cj
06-06-2003, 03:14 AM
thanks for the advice ulfie ...
i'm sure for the type of work you do you are right, but at the end of the day, having less 'superflous' code doesn't make you more money.

using some canned software package doesn't make you a qualified webmaster

i've used all types of programs from notepad back in 97 to frontpage to homesite and now i use dreamweaver. I consider myself to be a qualified webmaster.

ulfie
06-06-2003, 03:41 AM
Your welcome and thank you for the cutting remark. A bunch of uneeded code means your page loads slower and that does cost you money. But what do I know...

Seems like you only read what you want to sometimes. I never said you weren't a qualified webmaster, you surely are, I merely pointed out that knowing how to use dreamweaver means nothing if you don't understand what is going on behind the scenes so to speak.

Timon
06-06-2003, 05:38 AM
I'm usually more concerned about the results someone produces than the tools he achieves them with.

I don't see why anyone would need or want more than CuteHTML or a similar glorified notepad unless they are not qualified HTML-ers but to everyone his own ;-)

cj
06-06-2003, 06:31 AM
oh my apologies
i must have misinterpreted your comment?!
puh-lease

don't kick someone in the shins and expect a kiss in return

HoneyBlond
06-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Hey CJ are you still looking for someone ?

cj
06-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by HoneyBlond@Jun 6 2003, 10:56 AM
Hey CJ are you still looking for someone ?
interviewing some people next week, but yes, i'm still looking ;-)

HoneyBlond
06-07-2003, 08:05 AM
:) Thanks for the response

I'll shoot over some details.

Last edited by HoneyBlond at Jun 7 2003, 11:14 PM