PDA

View Full Version : Remember when?

Almighty Colin
05-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Remember when we used to ask each other advice on our site designs on the boards? :rokk:

Winetalk.com
05-22-2003, 08:58 AM
1996-97

art
05-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Colin@May 22 2003, 07:33 AM
Remember when we used to ask each other advice on our site designs on the boards? :rokk:
Yep, and the result was so good that my sites still look exactly the same! :P

Greetings,

Art

Almighty Colin
05-22-2003, 09:07 AM
What was the name of that paysite you had Serge? I think it had a blue background.

Almighty Colin
05-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Art,

We had some good trades :-)

art
05-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Colin@May 22 2003, 08:16 AM
With a little luck I am still sending you traffic! Or at least I might be sending to what used to be your sites! B)

Greetings,

Art

Winetalk.com
05-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Colin@May 22 2003, 08:15 AM
What was the name of that paysite you had Serge? I think it had a blue background.
http://sexia.com/~voyeur which is no longer there, had WHITE background and...Mojo was one of the members
;-)))

Winetalk.com
05-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by art+May 22 2003, 08:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (art @ May 22 2003, 08:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Colin@May 22 2003, 08:16 AM
With a little luck I am still sending you traffic! Or at least I might be sending to what used to be your sites! B)

Greetings,

Art[/b][/quote]
Mojo and 12 clicks still do!
;-)))

Peaches
05-22-2003, 10:04 AM
I remember when Rick/Webfather used to go through your sites and tell you what you were doing wrong regarding traffic leaks. :)

Mike AI
05-22-2003, 10:54 AM
I never put my sights up for feedback....

I think that people do not do it anymore, because if it looks good - you will have 3-4 copies of your new tour up on someone else's program in 24 hours.

Speaking of Rick, I remember back in the old days when we were on the same server ( this is before I had a dedicated machine - long long time ago) - he would put the biggest images on his free site - I am talking 400k photos. This poor server was dying from his huge file sizes, so Stan the Man and I went into his folders and recompressed most of his content...

Server ran MUCH better after that.... That server had Kid Slick, Janey, us, and like 4 other people on it....

Ahhhh the old days....

Almighty Colin
05-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Shared servers. Servint put Spanker and I on the same server in the height of the first wave of CJ days. THAT didn't last long.

Almighty Colin
05-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Remember when lots of people used local ISPs for dialup and hosting?

This is a funny one. I spammed one million AOL email addresses back in 1996 before I found adult. Wrote a program that queried the AOL lookup which was public at the time and gave user names in response to simple queries. It woul just keep pumping out first and last names from a huge list and recording all the user names and then attaching @aol.com to teh end.

My spam-program sucked and I crashed the local ISP. A few minutes after it crashed the phone rang and I knew it was the ISP. I shit a brick and had someone give them a messsage that I was out of town. ;-) Later I explained what happened and they were a lot more understanding than I thought they would be. After that, they wouldn't let me run programs on the server without them first looking at them. They had no problem with the spam though.

Almighty Colin
05-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Remember when Infoseek's Ultraseek search engine took submissions ad added them to their database in real-time? Minutes after they opened the real-time submissions I started spamming them. 2000 search engine hits in my first day. I immediately became hooked on SE spam after that. ;-) Next, Excite!

Where's koko?

Where's GP? "Learn Perl. Automate. Repeat".

Mike AI
05-22-2003, 12:34 PM
yeah we started on a netcom account - Stan's... and I was with a local dialup ISP who ran it from his house on a T1. Of course we kept blowing the T1 out of the water... and the guy tried charging me an arm an a leg.

Servint was next, shared server - they were too stupid, and did not care about customer service... they could have had the adult hosting industry sewn up.

Thankfully due to their arrogance and inability to work with us, we moved on and got our own dedicated server - which at the time was a huge step for us... with DIGEX.

Almighty Colin
05-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@May 22 2003, 11:42 AM
Servint was next, shared server - they were too stupid, and did not care about customer service... they could have had the adult hosting industry sewn up.
Amazing, huh? How many times can a backhoe dig up a line? ;-) That was their favorite excuse for the biweekly outtage.

Mike AI
05-22-2003, 12:48 PM
HAHA yeah I remember that Colin.... the famouse BIFF - Back-ho Induced Fiber Failure..... haha -I also got the one about the hurricaine...

How stupid could they be, I had weather.com, the weather channel on cable - this is not 1910 when we do not get news instantly... The hurricaine was in Georgia or someplace not even remotely close...

They did a good thing though by forcing me to leave and get my own dedicated server... I was terrified, not sure I could justify and afford to spend that amount on a server. ( of course it was pretty high based on hosting costs back them).

But once we had a full server, we figured we were paying for it anyway, so it forced us to build more and more sites, do more and more things to fill it up and get all the use out of it....

So it did help....