PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on sex.com results

SykkBoy
05-21-2003, 05:20 PM
We're contemplating buying some traffic on sex.com for our new project and I'm curious as to how the traffic does on average (I realize there will always be some variances). I don't want to hear from sex.com sales people, I want to hear from webmasters who've actually ran short and long term campaigns.

I'm interested especially in those who've ran campaigns for longer than 6 months.

cj
05-21-2003, 06:08 PM
i've had average results on some products but ok on others ...
its worth a test period to see if your product matches their traffic which i think is mostly recycled tgp (or something fairly rubbish)

ullimike
06-05-2003, 03:23 AM
actually, our traffic comes from nearly 100 search engine partners-some of them big names that you use every day. Any traffic where someone has to type in what they are looking for and you pop up in front of their face is much better than "rubbish". It is true that some sites do better than others--but the truth lies in the quality of the site mixed with an ability to differentiate yourself from the crowd.

Feel free to chat.

ullimike@sex.com
icq-228901762

cj
06-05-2003, 04:17 AM
actually, our traffic comes from nearly 100 search engine partners-some of them big names that you use every day.

really? who? if that's true, why should i pay for that traffic from you when i can get it for free from another *real* search engine?

Any traffic where someone has to type in what they are looking for and you pop up in front of their face is much better than "rubbish".

really? why?

you provide people with what they are looking for?
i typed in anal sex, first listing i got was a gay site ... rest of the listings were megasites ...

It is true that some sites do better than others--but the truth lies in the quality of the site mixed with an ability to differentiate yourself from the crowd.

so if something doesn't convert, it must be because the site isn't good enough quality or different enough? nothing to do with the traffic?

:rolleyes:

Almighty Colin
06-05-2003, 04:22 AM
I'm on CJ's team!

Wizzo
06-05-2003, 11:59 AM
I was HIGHLY dissapointed in the traffic I bought from them... Granted I only bought $200 worth, but got 0 sales to a site the was converting close to 1in50 with TGP and exit traffic and even better than that from many other traffic sources....

Nickatilynx
06-05-2003, 12:06 PM
actually, our traffic comes from nearly 100 search engine partners-some of them big names that you use every day. Any traffic where someone has to type in what they are looking for and you pop up in front of their face is much better than "rubbish". It is true that some sites do better than others--but the truth lies in the quality of the site mixed with an ability to differentiate yourself from the crowd.

Feel free to chat.

ullimike@sex.com
icq-228901762

I believe sykk specifically said, ""I don't want to hear from sex.com sales people """

;)

Vick
06-05-2003, 12:21 PM
I also have has less than positive results with sex.com traffic
have tried then on limited buys in a few occasions

What I didn't like is how many pop-ups came from the sex.com site it's self when your term is searched

Try this for an example
Type in sex.com
First thing is a newsletter op up - that's ok
Now enter pussy as your search term and you get your returns
Previous you got a pop under also when your search term was returned and clicked on
It's looks like sex.com has done away with that method of advertising

But close the sex.com page after you go to the page you've searched for and .... sex.com opens a timed pop

So basically if a surfer searchs pussy, clicks on their chosen term and goes back to close the sex.com page - sex.com opens a timed console - good for them. From my standpoint not good for me. I paid for the click, why is sex.com trying to get it back? (rhetorical questions - we know why they want that viewer back - more $ for them)

SykkBoy
06-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jun 5 2003, 11:14 AM

I believe sykk specifically said, ""I don't want to hear from sex.com sales people """

;)
Thanks Nick

-----

While I understand everyone is going to have different results based upon different factors (site layout, niche, price paid, other sites in that same niche, etc.), I was looking for general opinions not a bunch of salesman hype.

Although, now that I have your attention Mike, I feel sex.com would make more money signing up for my pharmacy program and running a sex.com private label pharmacy than my piddly 5-6-7 cents per click. I also hate the minimum 5 cents bid per click, but that's just nitpicking ;)

Vick, thanks for letting me know about the pop ups, that would definitaley piss me off if I'm paying per RAW FIRST PAGE click and the surfer's getting pop ups.

Dravyk
06-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Great points, CJ and Vick!!

And here's my contribution ...

Go to the webmaster area of sex.com

Click resources - get back sponsors

Click scripts - get back a sponsor

Click hosting, get - 1 host (gasp!), one resource, one sponsor, one turnkey thingy and a dating site.

Oh yeah baby! That be's some mmm-mmm-good targeted traffic!! :headwall:

A newbie can fit a round peg into a round hole, how come the cracker-jack million-dollar staff there is incapable???

Last edited by Dravyk at Jun 5 2003, 02:57 PM

Anthony
06-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy+Jun 5 2003, 11:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SykkBoy @ Jun 5 2003, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Nickatilynx@Jun 5 2003, 11:14 AM

;)
Thanks Nick

-----

While I understand everyone is going to have different results based upon different factors (site layout, niche, price paid, other sites in that same niche, etc.), I was looking for general opinions not a bunch of salesman hype.

Although, now that I have your attention Mike, I feel sex.com would make more money signing up for my pharmacy program and running a sex.com private label pharmacy than my piddly 5-6-7 cents per click. I also hate the minimum 5 cents bid per click, but that's just nitpicking ;)

Vick, thanks for letting me know about the pop ups, that would definitaley piss me off if I'm paying per RAW FIRST PAGE click and the surfer's getting pop ups.[/b][/quote]
Sykk,

Mike isn't the one to talk to. Hit me up on ICQ and I'll give you steve's info.

homegrownmof
06-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Sykkboy,

We (homegrownvideo.com) had crap results with sex.com traffic.

Made our $$$ back but not worth it.

I'd say it's fairly rubbish.

spanno
06-06-2003, 04:00 PM
>> so if something doesn't convert, it must be because the site isn't good enough quality or different enough? nothing to do with the traffic?

yea and I have some wicked redirected freeehost .tw, .in .jp etc traffic to sell

Turboface
06-08-2003, 04:31 PM
To increase your chances of maximizing your profit, your best bet would be to get into their different hot zones.

There are people that are advertise there all the time. I'm sure they wouldn't be if they were losing money.

Last edited by Turboface at Jun 8 2003, 12:39 PM

Bad Boy Rob
06-08-2003, 04:42 PM
We brought some traffic from a few of the smaller pay per click search engines and it did shit. Overture and Google are always top performers for us.