PDA

View Full Version : Class action lawsuit against 4 major cc companies

*KK*
05-21-2003, 02:53 PM
---------------------------------
Class Action Lawsuit Filed
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2003

It was announced today that a Merchant 911 member, also an attorney, has filed a class action lawsuit naming Visa, Mastercard, AmEx and Discover. The class action suit charges the defendants with violation of several Federal Laws including anti-Racketeering laws. All Merchant 911 members, as well as other e-commerce or MO/TO Merchants are invited to join the litigation.

Below is the text of the Law Firm's official Press Release ...

The Triangle Law Center, PLLC, a North Carolina based law firm, announced that it commenced a class action lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina on behalf of all Internet, telephone and mail order merchants against Visa U.S.A., Inc., MasterCard International, Inc., American Express Company and Discover Financial Services, Inc (collectively, the "Defendants"). A copy of the complaint filed in this action is available from the Court.

The action, numbered 5:03-CV-372-BO(3), is pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina located at 310 New Bern Avenue in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Honorable Terrence W. Boyle is the Judge presiding over the case. To join this class action litigation as a plaintiff or for further information, please call Mark W. Ishman, Esq.
at (919) 942-1410 or e-mail mishman@ishmanlaw.com or join the class online at www.ishmanlaw.com.

The complaint charges that Visa, MasterCard and their co-conspirators (i.e., their issuing and acquiring banks) violated Section 1962© and 1962(d) of the Racketeering Influence and Corrupt Organizations Act, Section 16 of the Clayton Act, Section 2(a) of the Robinson-Patman Act and other unlawful business practice violations by conspiring to commit fraud and theft
through means of wire and mail when processing merchants' Internet, telephone and mail order transactions. The complaint alleges that the Defendants breached their contract, their implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, duty of care and fiduciary duty as a banking institution by failing to take appropriate measures in addressing fraud and theft in the Internet, telephone and mail order industry. The complaint further alleges that Visa and MasterCard failed to disclose certain supra competitive transactional and penalty fees to Internet, telephone and mail order merchants and forced such merchants to pay such supra competitive fees with the abuse of their monopolistic powers.

Moreover, many of these supra competitive fees were only stated in their unpublished rules and regulations, which were never disclosed to merchants at the time of contracting. Furthermore, the complaint alleges that in "cybershoplifting" scenarios, there are virtually no set of facts or documentation in which an Internet, telephone and mail order merchant could argue to prevent Defendants from debiting penalty fees from their merchant accounts. As a result of these unlawful acts, according to the complaint, Internet, telephone and mail order merchants have paid virtually all of the costs associated with fraud and theft in their industry while Defendants made millions of dollars from their supra competitive transactional and penalty fees.

If you wish to join the litigation or to discuss your rights or interests regarding this class action, please contact plaintiffs' counsel, Mark W. Ishman, Esq. of the Triangle Law Center at (919) 942-1410 or via e-mail at mishman@ishmanlaw.com. You can also join this class action online at www.ishmanlaw.com.

The Triangle Law Center www.ishmanlaw.com has expertise in representing high tech, Internet based companies. The Triangle Law Center represents clients throughout the nation and world, concentrating its practice in Internet, Intellectual Property and Business law.

gonzo
05-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@May 21 2003, 11:01 AM
Class Action Lawsuit Filed
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2003

It was announced today that a Merchant 911 member, also an attorney, has filed a class action lawsuit naming Visa, Mastercard, AmEx and Discover. The class action suit charges the defendants with violation of several Federal Laws including anti-Racketeering laws. All Merchant 911 members, as well as other e-commerce or MO/TO Merchants are invited to join the litigation.

Below is the text of the Law Firm's official Press Release ...

The Triangle Law Center, PLLC, a North Carolina based law firm, announced that it commenced a class action lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina on behalf of all Internet, telephone and mail order merchants against Visa U.S.A., Inc., MasterCard International, Inc., American Express Company and Discover Financial Services, Inc (collectively, the "Defendants"). A copy of the complaint filed in this action is available from the Court.

The action, numbered 5:03-CV-372-BO(3), is pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina located at 310 New Bern Avenue in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Honorable Terrence W. Boyle is the Judge presiding over the case. To join this class action litigation as a plaintiff or for further information, please call Mark W. Ishman, Esq.
at (919) 942-1410 or e-mail mishman@ishmanlaw.com or join the class online at www.ishmanlaw.com.

The complaint charges that Visa, MasterCard and their co-conspirators (i.e., their issuing and acquiring banks) violated Section 1962© and 1962(d) of the Racketeering Influence and Corrupt Organizations Act, Section 16 of the Clayton Act, Section 2(a) of the Robinson-Patman Act and other unlawful business practice violations by conspiring to commit fraud and theft
through means of wire and mail when processing merchants' Internet, telephone and mail order transactions. The complaint alleges that the Defendants breached their contract, their implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, duty of care and fiduciary duty as a banking institution by failing to take appropriate measures in addressing fraud and theft in the Internet, telephone and mail order industry. The complaint further alleges that Visa and MasterCard failed to disclose certain supra competitive transactional and penalty fees to Internet, telephone and mail order merchants and forced such merchants to pay such supra competitive fees with the abuse of their monopolistic powers.

Moreover, many of these supra competitive fees were only stated in their unpublished rules and regulations, which were never disclosed to merchants at the time of contracting. Furthermore, the complaint alleges that in "cybershoplifting" scenarios, there are virtually no set of facts or documentation in which an Internet, telephone and mail order merchant could argue to prevent Defendants from debiting penalty fees from their merchant accounts. As a result of these unlawful acts, according to the complaint, Internet, telephone and mail order merchants have paid virtually all of the costs associated with fraud and theft in their industry while Defendants made millions of dollars from their supra competitive transactional and penalty fees.

If you wish to join the litigation or to discuss your rights or interests regarding this class action, please contact plaintiffs' counsel, Mark W. Ishman, Esq. of the Triangle Law Center at (919) 942-1410 or via e-mail at mishman@ishmanlaw.com. You can also join this class action online at www.ishmanlaw.com.

The Triangle Law Center www.ishmanlaw.com has expertise in representing high tech, Internet based companies. The Triangle Law Center represents clients throughout the nation and world, concentrating its practice in Internet, Intellectual Property and Business law.
..."And so it begins."

Mike AI
05-21-2003, 03:46 PM
KK do people who process through 3rd party processors have any standing in this lawsuit?

*KK*
05-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@May 21 2003, 11:54 AM
KK do people who process through 3rd party processors have any standing in this lawsuit?
You'd have to ask Sig, I don't know to be honest with you... or perhaps contact the firm handling the case.

I would imagine that there are cases where IPSP clients who've been penalized would qualify, it seems to me they have grounds but I'm not an attorney :)

Mike AI
05-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, Sig is so slammed, I only bother him for major issues now... From the best of my knowledge ( and trust me, it is not that much) I doubt that third party customers would have any standing to make claims directly against VISA and MASTERCARD. At least up until they started making each company pay the $750 setup fee or whatever, this could produce the necessary connection for standing.

But you are right, probably best to call the attorneys who are handling the case and certifying the class.

Dianna Vesta
05-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@May 21 2003, 02:54 PM
Oh my gawd! Could you fucking imagine if they did or could? Of course anyone can, doesn't mean it will win or be worth the hassle. If there was a legal group with a big enough hardon to file all that paperwork & ride them really hard, I bet shit would fly... lol- or crash!

Hell Puppy
05-21-2003, 11:07 PM
I wonder how many IPSP "customers" MC/Visa has if you define "customer" as everyone who paid the $750? At that point you have a direct customer-vendor relationship with them even if you're processing 3rd party as they supposedly will have reviewed your URLs and receive detail data of your processing.

Are we talking 1000? 10,000? Anyone from one of the third party processors wanna at least ballpark it for us?

I'm guessing the number is smaller than most people might think. The number of paysite owners who bitched and moaned and refused to pay the $750 amazed me. If you cant afford $750, what the fuck are you doing running a paysite? But, I digress....

*KK*
05-21-2003, 11:18 PM
That 750 is Visa only, nothing to do with Mastercard, but since all 4 cc companies are being litigated against, I'd say it's definitely worth a shot.