PDA

View Full Version : Boys vs Girls

Forest
05-21-2003, 06:02 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golfonlin...om_the_gallery/ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golfonline/news/2003/05/20/from_the_gallery/)

did VJ decide not to play at colonial because he is afriad of not makeing the cut if she does? or outright losing to her>?

I think its great for the game

keeps them boys on their toes if she finishes well

Chris E
05-21-2003, 06:45 AM
I see no problem with her playing, think it's good for the game. Do we know if she is playing off the same tees? The guys on the tour are just scared she is going to beat them especially VJ and Nick Price.

Forest
05-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Chris E@May 21 2003, 02:53 AM
I see no problem with her playing, think it's good for the game. Do we know if she is playing off the same tees? The guys on the tour are just scared she is going to beat them especially VJ and Nick Price.
mens tour

mens rules

so yes she is playing the exact same lenght of the course

she chose the colonial because it is the shortest course on the mens tour

i think it only has 1 or 2 par 5's

but she drives like 270-280 avg
:zoinks: :rokk:

Forest
05-21-2003, 07:31 AM
last year for this event 150 or so press passes were issued

this year over 600 have been requested

talk about a DRAW!

cj
05-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Forest@May 21 2003, 06:39 AM
last year for this event 150 or so press passes were issued

this year over 600 have been requested

talk about a DRAW!
wow those numbers are awesome ... not surprising though, its been great publicity so far - all reporters want to be there just in case she does something amazing ...

Forest
05-21-2003, 09:01 AM
cj

tiger called her and said

" you'd better play well...Ill be watching"

:okthumb:

Im looking forward to watching her play

Chris E
05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
It's also big news over here in the UK. 270-280 yard driving is amazing.

Forest
05-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Chris E@May 21 2003, 07:42 AM
270-280 yard driving is amazing.
for a man

for a woman its Astounding!!!

Mike AI
05-21-2003, 11:49 AM
I think VJ had a point.... by her playing, she is possibly taking a spot fomr an up-and-coming MALE professional golfer. That is their business, ifsome guy does not make the cut, because of her - that is money out of his walet.

OF course you can say, well he shuold have been better - and that is true if there was only one tour, but there is a female tour where female professinals earn money - so would it be ok for average male golfers to go over there and knock women out of getting a paycheck?

It is a publicity stunt by those putting on the tour and the sponsors - including VISA....

Personally I think she is going to get stomped, I read that she played with Maddox, a pitcher for the Braves and though he is a pro athlete and a good golfer, HE BEAT HER.... I think the males will kick her ass, I hope she does not make the cut.

And before anyone jumps on me saying that I am anti-woman, that is bullshit... If there was only one tour, I think it would be fine for women to compete. But they should have to earn a spot by qualifying like any man has to...

Peaches
05-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Personally, I think that since there's already an arena for her to play professionally - the LPGA - playing with the PGA is just a stunt and it doesn't impress me much. B)

Mike AI
05-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Peaches we are on the same page////

B)

SykkBoy
05-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Hmmm, I think I'm gonna go try out for the LPGA Tour....but does this mean I have to wear a skirt?

It would be fun though to have a "coed" tournament or event....why can't they just sprinkle a few male vs. female events throughout the year?

We just had a similar issue with my men's bowling league...a woman wanted to join but she still wanted to be able to use a woman's handicap...got overwhelmingly voted "no", not because we're sexist bastards, but because if she wants to compete on a men's league, she has to abide by the same rules as we do....and it is really weird kicking a ball return and yelling "fucking cocksucker!" when there are women standing around ;)

Last edited by SykkBoy at May 21 2003, 11:57 AM

TheEnforcer
05-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Vijay is an idiot and a coward. Plain pure, and simple. I sincerely hope that next tournament that fans heckle the shit out of him and yell louder than Happy Gimore's fans while he is playing shots.

TheEnforcer
05-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@May 21 2003, 10:57 AM
I think VJ had a point.... by her playing, she is possibly taking a spot fomr an up-and-coming MALE professional golfer. That is their business, ifsome guy does not make the cut, because of her - that is money out of his walet.

OF course you can say, well he shuold have been better - and that is true if there was only one tour, but there is a female tour where female professinals earn money - so would it be ok for average male golfers to go over there and knock women out of getting a paycheck?

It is a publicity stunt by those putting on the tour and the sponsors - including VISA....

Personally I think she is going to get stomped, I read that she played with Maddox, a pitcher for the Braves and though he is a pro athlete and a good golfer, HE BEAT HER.... I think the males will kick her ass, I hope she does not make the cut.

And before anyone jumps on me saying that I am anti-woman, that is bullshit... If there was only one tour, I think it would be fine for women to compete. But they should have to earn a spot by qualifying like any man has to...
ROFLMAO!!

If I was an advertiser of this tournament I'd be doing cartwheels because I'm likely going to get some SERIOUS bang for my buck on advertising. How do you think the prize money for tournaments is set? Better numbers means more money and if she plays well here and enters a few tournaments as Tiger suggests ALL those men are going to benefit from higher ratings which lead to happier advertisers which leads to bigger purses.

And you better get used to it because there is a female phenom that is only like 12-13 years old that is already driving the ball almost 300 yards that in the next few years will only get better and soon be kicking mens asses all over the links. Some consider her to be a bigger prodigy at golf than Tiger.

http://search.about.com/fullsearch.htm?ter...ie&PM=59_0100_S (http://search.about.com/fullsearch.htm?terms=Michelle+Wie&PM=59_0100_S)

Mike AI
05-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Enforcer, you are right - if I was a sponsor I would be thrilled - they love using cheap ploys to stir contraversy and gain attenion... but that does not mean it is right for the sport, right for the fans, etc...

Sponsors rarely have the best interest of the event in mind, they are only looking for attention... which is fine, and what they are supposed to do....

Sykkboy, I think your idea of a coed tourny specific for this purpose is a good idea.... it would not cheapen any tournament, and bring excitement and competition for both men and women.

Enforcer, what if the Green Bay Packers were out of playoff contention, and theoreticly were not selling out the stadium - so the GM and owner decides to put people in the audience they should put a woman at quarterback for a game - just to be different. Would that be ok wth you?

sarettah
05-21-2003, 01:32 PM
http://www.awrats.com/images/golf.jpg

TheEnforcer
05-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@May 21 2003, 12:36 PM
Enforcer, you are right - if I was a sponsor I would be thrilled - they love using cheap ploys to stir contraversy and gain attenion... but that does not mean it is right for the sport, right for the fans, etc...

Sponsors rarely have the best interest of the event in mind, they are only looking for attention... which is fine, and what they are supposed to do....

Sykkboy, I think your idea of a coed tourny specific for this purpose is a good idea.... it would not cheapen any tournament, and bring excitement and competition for both men and women.

Enforcer, what if the Green Bay Packers were out of playoff contention, and theoreticly were not selling out the stadium - so the GM and owner decides to put people in the audience they should put a woman at quarterback for a game - just to be different. Would that be ok wth you?
I wouldn't care a bit because if she's good enough to last, she will. If after the first hit from a 325 lb lineman she folds like a cheap suit then she couldn't take it she'll be gone. Of course we don't have woman's football leauges to have them show that the woman they pick up is the best in her field so the comparison is not apt. There is a reasonable expectation that Annika can possibly do well. And as Tiger said she should give herself a few tournaments to test herself.

The primary component of this is mens FEAR at being shown up by a woman. Simple as that. That 12-13 yr old golfer I posted about, I have little doubt will be competing with men in a few years.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/lpga/2003-04-23-wie-cover_x.htm

Wie enjoys teeing it up against men. She regularly beats them when she plays events in Hawaii.

In February she tied for 43rd in the Hawaii Pearl Open, a men's pro event featuring golfers from the Japan Tour. She was the only girl. And in March she tied for fourth in the men's Hawaii State Amateur Stroke Play Championship, one of three girls entered. She played both events from the back tees.

In January she tried to Monday-qualify for the PGA Tour's Sony Open in Hawaii. She shot 1-over 73 from the back tees, finishing 47th out of a field of 97. Wie didn't make the main draw, but Andy Miller, who won the qualifier, says, "There's a lot of guys who got beat by a 13-year-old girl."

Nickatilynx
05-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Some stats.........

Ladies 2003 Average Driving Distance
1 Wendy Doolan 276.6
2 Annika Sorenstam 275.4

On the mens tour that would place her around here:

160 Luke Donald 276.1
161 Chris Riley 276.0
162 Dean Wilson 275.9
163 Esteban Toledo 275.3

and William Hill are offering odds of 125/1 on her winning

plus

To Miss Cut 1/4

To Make The Cut 11/4

She is 14/1 to finish in the top 10

Last edited by Nickatilynx at May 21 2003, 01:28 PM

Chris E
05-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 21 2003, 10:27 AM
Some stats.........

1 Wendy Doolan 276.6
2 Annika Sorenstam 275.4

160 Luke Donald 276.1
161 Chris Riley 276.0
162 Dean Wilson 275.9
163 Esteban Toledo 275.3

plus

To Miss Cut 1/4

To Make The Cut 11/4

Think that's worth a flutter!

Forest
05-22-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Chris E+May 22 2003, 01:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chris E @ May 22 2003, 01:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Nickatilynx@May 21 2003, 10:27 AM
Some stats.........

1 Wendy Doolan 276.6
2 Annika Sorenstam 275.4

160 Luke Donald 276.1
161 Chris Riley 276.0
162 Dean Wilson 275.9
163 Esteban Toledo 275.3

plus

To Miss Cut 1/4

To Make The Cut 11/4

Think that's worth a flutter![/b][/quote]
14/1

not bad odds

i bet she makes the cut

weither she finishes in the top 10 will depend on how much pressure the men feel when she is on their heels

Ill be watching all 4 rounds