PDA

View Full Version : Flash overlay banners

Naughty
05-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Who likes to use those?

We're adding them to our program now.

We're adding a few on our own sites to see if it works, how about you? You think they are annoying, or what??

They all have the close button in them of course, and we have them disappear after 45 seconds (right now, might be more or less later).

What are your thoughts?

(If you don't know what I am talking about, we have one on our frontpage at www.naughtychecks.com now to tell you about a give-away, or you can spot one at www.naughtycelebs.co.uk)

kath
05-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Professionally - I love 'em. From a marketing standpoint they are fresh, eye-catching, memorable and one of those gotta-have-it new technologies.

Personally - they get annoying after awhile. Yahoo! over did it with the cars racing across the page....the ARS one here @ Oprano ROCKED until I saw it 4-5 times and it started causing the pages to load slow...

I think that Flash overlay is like anything out there - when used sparingly, it's a good thing. There's a time and a place for everything.

Let us know how they work for ya Naughty - I think it's better to try and decide it wasn't a good idea than to never try at all and think about what might have been...

:blink:

Winetalk.com
05-18-2003, 06:11 PM
to put it mildly
FUCK 'EM!

I hate 'em as a surfer!

Naughty
05-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@May 18 2003, 02:19 PM
I hate 'em as a surfer!
And that is a bad thing? Or a good thing?

:stout:

The ARS oil fields on here were indeed slowing shit down big time. I'm trying to keep them small though, max 300x300 and you can resize to your liking.

Rolo
05-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Its a bad thing if the information in those ads are pointless to the surfer watching it or if he/she have seen it more than XX times.

It will get the attention of the surfer thats for sure, but what is put in the ad is more important than the format it comes in - IMHO :)

SykkBoy
05-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Being a Netscape user, I often don't see them or they're fucked up...so I hate them... ;)

Hooper
05-18-2003, 09:08 PM
yeah. the big problem right now is that the only browser that supports transparency in objects (e.g. flash) is ie.

i hate things that arent cross browser compatible. missing 30% of the market is a BIG deal.

Hooper
05-18-2003, 09:08 PM
btw. those flash ads are called interstatials by the online ad nerds.

Trev
05-19-2003, 03:45 AM
Due the ARS banners I un-installed Flash & Shockwave and have never looked back... oprano's loads faster and life is good. :D

Flash Designers in my opinion are :wankit:

Naughty
05-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Trev@May 18 2003, 11:53 PM
Thank you :unsure:

Interstatials: Nice:-)

Last edited by Naughty at May 19 2003, 04:04 AM

Trev
05-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Naughty+May 19 2003, 01:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Naughty @ May 19 2003, 01:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Trev@May 18 2003, 11:53 PM
Thank you :unsure:

Interstatials: Nice:-)[/b][/quote]
Maybe :wankit: is a bit harsh, but since broadband and fast connections the net has turned into a flash nightmare... I like some flash but I think it's just being far too over used...

My browsing is sweeter now that it's gone... gone... gone I tell ya :wacko:

SykkBoy
05-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Trev@May 19 2003, 02:53 AM
Due the ARS banners I un-installed Flash & Shockwave and have never looked back... oprano's loads faster and life is good. :D

psssst, use Netscape ;)

no home page redirection, no email virii or worms with Netscape mail, easier newsgroup browsing, faster surfing time...
but sadly ESPN.com doesn't work well with it and lazy designers make some things look a little fucked up ;)

Trev
05-20-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by SykkBoy+May 19 2003, 08:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SykkBoy @ May 19 2003, 08:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Trev@May 19 2003, 02:53 AM

psssst, use Netscape ;)

no home page redirection, no email virii or worms with Netscape mail, easier newsgroup browsing, faster surfing time...
but sadly ESPN.com doesn't work well with it and lazy designers make some things look a little fucked up ;)[/b][/quote]
I'm sold :D

I've never really been into nutscrape but I've been hearing good things about lit lately, think I'll give it a shot :)

cj
05-20-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Hooper@May 18 2003, 08:16 PM
btw. those flash ads are called interstatials by the online ad nerds.
us online nerds actually call them superstitials :P

an interstitial is similar but it lives on its own page like what we would call an entrance or a 'splash' page to a website, & it redirects once its finished playing ... a superstitial loads over the content of the web site, allowing the surfer to read the website as normal while the ad loads in the background ...

really cool car ones (http://www.unicast.com/gallery/gallery.asp)

Hooper
05-20-2003, 09:25 AM
oh yeah. ok well you're just so cool now arent you cj??? :P

so interstatials have their own page (e.g. popups) and superstitials are the flash overlays?

good to know :)

cj
05-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Hooper@May 20 2003, 08:33 AM
oh yeah. ok well you're just so cool now arent you cj??? :P
duh!

:P

don't you just feel so much better knowing the stitial differences!? :biglaugh: