View Full Version : in the last 12 months my business

Winetalk.com
05-18-2003, 07:40 AM
if you thinkj the last 12 months were tough,
wait for the next 12 months
;-)

SykkBoy
05-18-2003, 01:07 PM
My last 12 months were riddled with poor business decisions, poor physical health, poor hiring decisions, a partner who was content laying back stroking his cock while I did all the work (no, not cyberpunk, another partner in another venture ;)), a paysite program that stagnated and became more of a pain in the ass than anything and caused me to lose my drive...

but the next 12 months will be great...I've gotten rid of excess baggage, pared things down and changed directions a bit...

Vick
05-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks Serge :P
You were correct almost 2 years ago and almost to the dollar

Actually my business has been flat this calendar year, no growth, no loss. Some would call it stable, I see it as stagnate
Looking around at where growth is taking place and am not above steal ... err improving ideas I see
Also looking at other industries (past and present) and seeing what is working and what is not

Thinking it is getting a little challenging all over
Have seen 3 content providers recently with incredible sale type deals

The one thing I keep racking my brain about is content delivery systems (how can I get my product in front of more eyes), really think this is the year that bulk mailing will become seriously less effective. With all the moves to eliminate spam and the amount of spam (I'm over 250 pieces a day between all email addys) the returns are diminishing

What is going to be the next way to gain mass exposure?

Winetalk.com
05-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Vick@May 18 2003, 12:19 PM

breaking a law and becoming a focus of attention from the powers above WILL bring exposure....but at what price?
;-)))

Vick
05-18-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+May 18 2003, 01:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ May 18 2003, 01:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Vick@May 18 2003, 12:19 PM

breaking a law and becoming a focus of attention from the powers above WILL bring exposure....but at what price?
;-)))[/b][/quote]
Hmm .... as the wheels turn ...

Jonboy/JonDavid/Frankencock - was very good at getting media attention with limited exposure
First time I heard of him or his sites was in a newspaper blurb about a sheriff getting suspended for his patrol car being in pics on an adult site here in Maryland ...
Next thing I know he is on (dateline or 20/20?) TV saying he makes a million a year and letting them interview his 6 year old son (there was a lot more to the segment on them)
Then he was involved with Dakota Rae who was (supposed to be?) a nurse who lost her job due to opening an adult site. That got limited media attention (maybe a piece on Geraldo?)
He also keep his name (and sites) in the local media here with some large signs advertising for models in a local beach resort (which is very family oriented)

Ok those have been done but sometime a good new is just a well forgotten old <_<

Last edited by Vick at May 18 2003, 03:36 PM

Rolo
05-18-2003, 06:26 PM
I like it when its tough... means business will be more focus, the fat will be cut off, and its the best time for "killer deals" :)

Last edited by Rolo at May 18 2003, 02:35 PM

cj
05-18-2003, 06:59 PM
the value of the australian dollar has gone from 50 to 64 in the last year so there's an instant 14% drop off for the aussie's before you take into account the industry changes ...

not sure how other countries are affected, but this is the highest the dollar has gotten since my first couple of years in the biz ...

Winetalk.com
05-18-2003, 07:31 PM
yeap,
non-us business enteties get a double wammy...but....
it makes easier for them buying Oprano ads
;-))

Rolo
05-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Dollar value has had an impact on our profits... ½ our programmers and designers are located within the EU. In the last 12 months this have put a 20% higher cost when buying with dollars in the EU.

IMHO - I think that Bush wants the dollar to fall even more against Euros and other currencies in the next 12 months... Probably one of the things needed to start the US economy is a low value on the dollar. Good for the export from the US - bad for the export from Europe.

JerryW
05-19-2003, 09:10 AM
We weren't in business a year ago (at least as PhotoGregg.com), but we're growing like mad. Just added two new big accounts and need to hire more people. Helps to be at the right place and the right time with the right product.

The next 12 months is going to be very interesting.

Dianna Vesta
05-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Vick@May 18 2003, 12:19 PM
Actually my business has been flat this calendar year, no growth, no loss. Some would call it stable, I see it as stagnate

stagnate... good word. that's how I see it. It's mocking the stock market.

Torone
05-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta+May 19 2003, 08:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dianna Vesta @ May 19 2003, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Vick@May 18 2003, 12:19 PM

stagnate... good word. that's how I see it. It's mocking the stock market.[/b][/quote]
But better to use 'stagnant'...Never liked using verbs as adjectives that much.

Hooper
05-19-2003, 12:23 PM
whats the rule? take whatever somebody claims and divide it by 3 to get a more accurate number.

somebody says they're making a mil a year? they're probably doing 300k... i've found it to be amazingly true.

somebody says they've grown 40% this year? probalby grown 15 if they're lucky.

Nickatilynx
05-19-2003, 03:45 PM
Got a good kick in the ass this year.
Dec - Mar was terrible. :(

However Apr was OK and May is flying. :)

One of the toughest things ,as an employer, was adjusting payscales to a more realistic market level (ie down) and returning to core business (ie traffic) plus adding more Indians and having less Chiefs. :)

Stability in all things with gentle expansion.

Announcement will follow soon re production of content. :)

Plus ( have others found this? ) getting the hunger back to actually change gear and work it again. :)

Winetalk.com
05-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Nick,
glad your choo-choo train is going places
;-)))

Nickatilynx
05-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Thks Serge.

http://www.revscene.com

is not doing bad at all :)

----"Members: 15,719, Threads: 98,405, Posts: 1,355,074
Welcome to our newest member, No New Registrations (Priveleged Access Only) ""

There are currently 369 members and 17 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 707 on 02-11-2003 at 06:52 AM.
1z-0n-m3h, 2xBlown, 351rusty, 411ken, 4AGmk1, 5 G Civic, 5LiterHoney, 5zigen hatchback, 68style, 6fingaz, 7G, 86fc3s-t, 88Exi, 89Legend, 89PreludeSi, 91civicZC, 91GS, 97ITR, 98accord, 99EK4, AccordEx, Acura Soundz, Acura604, AhBut, ajei, AutoRice.com, b0y80, banana, bboy'lude, bbwarrior, bcrdukes, BeefCake4000, benz02, biabia, Big Daddy, Biggs, big_sexy_chevy, BlackRCode, Blaupunkt69, BLITZ2k1, blitz_gt, blitz_jza80, BLK 92 GS-R, Blue, boffo, Bonka, Boosted1, buckethead, Buster, carisear, Cashcrop, casper03, chico83, choyi, Ci-V-iC, circuit_breaker, cirrus, civiccrazy, civicHatch, civic_si, Civic_SiR, CL Boy, Cman333, CORDV6, cr8it, Craven morhead, CRAZY VATO, crxkid, Cusco, CW EK9, cYaNiDe143, DARKSUN, davischow, da_hool, DC2-R, DCsportsAccord, death_blossom, Dee2, Delete, DePrince, Dj Bamba, DOHCVTEC, Down2Ride, driverfolif, dUbVADER25, Dynamix Lude, ed_pow_rs, EgOne, EK, EK-4, ekoo, ELCivic, Eman_300ZX, endless402, ericlik, evo7, EX-Raver, exr90, Fairlady Z, Festus351, Fi2e, fliptuner, FrozenFlame, g2teg92, Gen4 Camry, gen5accordv6, gene, Gigarange, girlcrazy_4, Graeme.Kellow, Grasscutter, Greddy_Si, groov2, GT-Four, gurp99, Gwilo, haha_604, heavyhopper, hondagirl11, Hondaracer604, honda_dna, huck-jai, IceCube, Ichi, IMASA, ImportPsycho, Initial Kei, InteGSR-99, intensity, invader_CRX, itr1288, itsallaboutgz, jayvan, JDMonty, jedi_master, jeffraider, JesseBlue, jigga250, jigpuf, JiVe, jjvk, John, johnjohn, jonafro, jordo, JVC, Jwoish, k3n, KenM, khemfusion, KiDEclipse, kiggle, kokonut, Komrad, kuotok, Kurupt, Lageno, Laker, lawnmower, le_van, lil'sleeper, logi, logistik, Lost Seraphim, lsr_t, Lude2000, ludemaniac, maelstrom, MajorBludd, Manners, mark2003, Mas, master_philly, matrix187, Matsuda, max23, mits`, Moo Man, mP5, mp5_s, Mpower, Mr. WRX, Mr.X, mr_egg-roll, mud, mw201, NashMan, neptune, Nickatilynx, Nismo200SX, NISMO_GP, no_limitz, NumbaOneStunna, Ol' Dirty Chinaman, orangeclipse, oreo, Ozziechan83, o_nugget_o, Pancake, patman18, pazzo-cane, pbmax, penner2k, Pikey, Pogi5, Poker604, popnGEAR, Power_by_Tom's, prelude255, PreludeSRV, primalauto, prodigy~1, ProPaDoDLe, Prostrho, puckster02, r2edline, rav2r, Raziel, RC, redcivic, Red_EG, rental_metard, RF fans, Rorschach, rsx, ryan655, s-zenki, sachb69, samrs11, santi, Seb, Shmee, ShyGuy, Si Ed, SilverAccord, silvlude, Sine, SiRCal, sirjeff, Si_Veloz, Slow ITR, slowguy, smokey.blue, SoLiDus, spdracer, spiritofevil99, Spoon-SiR, SR-V, StarhawK, Stevie P, stockgreencivic, Sunny, supercivic278, SuPeRdOoD, Supersport, Sw0op, Syms, T.Celica, TalonTurbo, Teddy5, teg_101, TexxMexx, That_Audio_Guy, Timpo, Toast, TOMMY2HILFIGER, tommygunzit, Trinity, Troublesome, turboaccord, TurboTalon, Tuxedo14, v67gsr, V8 Killa, valent|n0, Vampyre Romantice, veedubber, Veleno, VictoriaSiR, victorious, VTECNIK_BOY, VWSTEVE.604, W2K, wassup78, Weasel, white lude, White-Chocolate, willcls, X L R 8, XTC_604_DKNY, Yipster, zman0069, [YeS.SiR], \V//RS, _supras_, {JaP}

Quite a busy board. :)

Winetalk.com
05-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Quite a busy board.

I know....I was the one who gave you it's idea after you were parted with Netpond
;-))

if it only made money...it would be PRICELESS
;-))))

Winetalk.com
05-19-2003, 06:05 PM
sell it to FM!

http://www.revscene.net/images/no-streetracing.jpg

Nickatilynx
05-19-2003, 06:15 PM
ahahahahahaha

Good idea! :)

First you get the website,then you get the traffic,then you make the money :)
(or sell it to FM)

Winetalk.com
05-19-2003, 06:31 PM
now you sound like Al Pacino in reverse...
;-)

"First you get the money, than you get the power, THAN you get the girl"...

Nickatilynx
05-19-2003, 06:46 PM
now you sound like Al Pacino in reverse...

no that was the preamble cut from the film.

as in:

""First you get the website,then you get the traffic,then you make the money,then you get the power, THEN you get the girl"...

I'll do without the girl ;)

and 4 outta 5 ain't bad :)