PDA

View Full Version : Anti Hot Linking Ideas?

WHS
05-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Hey everyone I am looking at a product:

Please post your thoughts here would like to see some feedback. would you pay for this product I am about to pay couple of hundred dollars not a bi deal but still do i need it?

AHL (AntiHotLinker) Information

We have the only working solution to protect your movie files against hotlinking. AHL (AntiHotLinker) provides bullet proof anti hotlinking protection and full control of hotlinking traffic. AHL (AntiHotLinker) not only saves bandwidth, it makes money!

THERE WAS NO WAY TO PROPERLY PROTECT MOVIES BEFORE AHL (AntiHotLinker)
Standard Apache Rewrite Module that you use to protect images cannot protect movies, since movie players do not pass referrers and you have to allow visitors without referrer information, thus leaving your movie files open for hotlinkers.
Use of cookie based protection fails since there are plenty of visitors that turn off that feature in their browser settings. You also have to include a Java Script on all your pages to use this feature and it creates problems with people who turn off Java Scripts in their browsers as well.
Use of any other method utilizing scripts written in PHP, CGI or Java Scrip creates problems with TGP scripts that simply blacklist submissions with script statements in the HTML documents. This is not to mention that you have to rewrite all your existing pages with the new code, which is time consuming and will lead to a definite blacklist of all your domains, emails, and IP's.

SAVE MONEY ON YOUR BANDWIDTH BILL
Our statistics show that approximately 15% of all movie requests come from visitors generated by the hotlinkers posting direct links to your movies. These include: a) bulletin boards all over the world (mainly in Asia and Eastern Europe); B) cheating TGPs, Movie Posts, CJs, free sites, and even pay sites run by cheating webmasters; c) friend to friend email links; d) direct movie bookmarks. Visitors from all of those sources use your bandwidth but never see any of your advertisements!

MAKE MONEY ON HOTLINKING TRAFFIC
AHL (AntiHotLinker) allows you to take control of the hotlinking traffic by redirecting it to your sponsors, traffic trades and so on. Our experience shows that this traffic sells very well to dialers, email collection and "for free" programs. The hotlinking webmaster does not know that the movies are protected because he visited your html document where you posted the movie and was allowed to view these movies. But all consecutive visitors who will try to open your movies without seeing your html pages will be redirected to your favorite destination. :-)

AHL (AntiHotLinker) FEATURES
Protects all file types (default .asf .wmv .avi .mov .mpg .mpeg .rm)
Protects all your existing documents without any modifications required in these documents.
Does not require any special coding in your HTML documents.
Runs on Unix/Linux server at the Apache level with minimal server load and memory usage.
Supports unlimited number of domains (virtual hosts).
TGP compliant. Works with all known TGP scripts.
Gives full control of the hotlinking traffic. You can redirect it to you favorite destination.
Displays status report with information about the number of Allowed and Hotlinked Movie Requests.
Log hotlinking attempts, hotlinkers IP addresses and referring URLs (if referring URL was available)

Winetalk.com
05-14-2003, 04:19 PM
you don't need it,
it can all be done with a simple htaccess

dantheman
05-14-2003, 04:32 PM
we provide this service to any client of ours that needs it. :rokk:

WHS
05-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by dantheman@May 14 2003, 04:40 PM
we provide this service to any client of ours that needs it. :rokk:
Do you charge for it?
Is it your own product or did you buy it off someone?

dantheman
05-14-2003, 04:44 PM
we did it inhouse, not saying it's better,worse than what your offering, there's in a market for movie protection for sure. I've seen many webmasters get hammered on bandwidth for sure.

Good luck :rokk:

WHS
05-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by dantheman@May 14 2003, 04:52 PM
we did it inhouse, not saying it's better,worse than what your offering, there's in a market for movie protection for sure. I've seen many webmasters get hammered on bandwidth for sure.

Thank you
the only thing we are not ofereing it but rather looking to buy it

Rolo
05-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Would not pay, since we have our own inhouse team of programmers ;-))... but for "a couple of hundred dollars" it sounds cheap if you compare it with the possible bandwidth bill you could receive because of some hotlinker.

WHS
05-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by dantheman@May 14 2003, 04:52 PM

dantheman how do i contact you off line one of my friends is interested in your service if you can offer this type of service included

Winetalk.com
05-14-2003, 05:23 PM
there are tons of free scripts there:
http://opranosearch.com/msgboard/links.html

dantheman
05-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by WHS+May 14 2003, 04:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WHS @ May 14 2003, 04:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dantheman@May 14 2003, 04:52 PM

dantheman how do i contact you off line one of my friends is interested in your service if you can offer this type of service included[/b][/quote]
WHS, you can call me 1-800-445-3119 I'll be here till around 4pm central time, email me dannyh at simpleocom.net and I'll give you my cell also.

Bell
05-16-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by dantheman+May 15 2003, 05:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dantheman @ May 15 2003, 05:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -WHS@May 14 2003, 04:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--dantheman@May 14 2003, 04:52 PM

dantheman how do i contact you off line one of my friends is interested in your service if you can offer this type of service included
WHS, you can call me 1-800-445-3119 I'll be here till around 4pm central time, email me dannyh at simpleocom.net and I'll give you my cell also.[/b][/quote]

WHS - - - correction on that...

danny's eMail is: dannyh at simplecom.net

~Bell

Phoenix66
05-16-2003, 02:22 PM
What's a big deal to protect files from hotlinking???

htaccess:
---------
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !.*www.yourdomain.com.* [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.[ext1|ext2|ext3|...] - [NC,F]
----------

where ext1, ext2, ext3 - extentions of files you don't want to be hotlinked (jpg, avi, mov, and so on)

This "howto" can be found in internet in 5 minutes.

sarettah
05-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix66@May 16 2003, 01:30 PM
What's a big deal to protect files from hotlinking???

htaccess:
---------
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !.*www.yourdomain.com.* [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.[ext1|ext2|ext3|...] - [NC,F]
----------

where ext1, ext2, ext3 - extentions of files you don't want to be hotlinked (jpg, avi, mov, and so on)

This "howto" can be found in internet in 5 minutes.
The prob phoenix is that the various media players do not pass a referrer...

so, yes the htacces would protect against someone accessing the files drectly from another page, but at the same time, that htaccess stops a legitimate member from accessing the file through windows media player, etc...

Phoenix66
05-17-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@May 16 2003, 10:38 AM
The prob phoenix is that the various media players do not pass a referrer...
I see. I should have red the initial post more carefully.

Well... I guess since obvious methods do not work, it's possible to track IPs anyway. I.e. you need to store IPs from which the page with a link to the movie was accessed over several last minutes (or hours?) and cut off all movie access attempts with IPs that did not come through the page first.

Well, I'm not a pro in this, but this doesn't seem too complicated also, though obviously not that easy as htaccess. Am I wrong?