PDA

View Full Version : When did the world go crazy

Vick
05-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Aerosmith and Kiss are touring together this summer and tickets just went on sales here this morning so I check for tickets .......

Best seats ........$125 each and that's before another $15 is added on for various charges. Now these best seats aren't anything special, just under the pavilion in the first 2 sections going up

So I look through my collection of ticket stubs (I've seen hundreds of rock, broadway, wrestling and other assorted shows) and I find the ticket stub from the first time I saw Aerosmith (have seen them 8 times)

The ticket date is Thursday November 9, 1978 (this was way back where there was still general addmission seating) and the price of the ticket ......
$8.80 - yes Eight Dollars and Eighty cents

Let's see 25 years and prices go from $8.80 to $140.00 Damn!!!!

if you want to hear even funnier I saw the Stones for $12, Led Zepplin for $10 and Frank Zappa for $6

Hell I saw Guns-n-Roses and Aerosmith together for only $15.00 about 15 years ago

Wow I am an old fart he he he

Almighty Colin
05-03-2003, 02:05 PM
I don't have full a byte of Aerosmith concerts to my name but I've managed 3 bits.

Aerosmith/Ted Nugent was memorable.

Vick
05-03-2003, 02:09 PM
I attribute some of my hearing loss/damage to Ted Nugent performing live

I'm so old I saw Nugent open for Black Sabbath .... when Ozzy was still in the band he he he

Almighty Colin
05-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I could hear Nugent's sound check a LONG way from the stadium.

voodooman
05-03-2003, 02:43 PM
That is ridiculously high for a couple of bands that exited their prime along time ago.

Im not as old as Colin and Vick, but I did see Molly Hatchet at Silver Dollar City.
:P

The very first concert I attended, and now, its pretty embarrassing, but I was only 12 y/o, but it was Rick Springfield in Lubbock Texas. My sister made me go.
:unsure:

TheEnforcer
05-03-2003, 02:57 PM
No concert I have ever been to has topped seeing the Grateful Dead at Soldier Field in Chicago with The Steve Miller Band as an opening act. That was one hell of a good time.

:okthumb:

Peaches
05-03-2003, 03:05 PM
It's gotten nuts. I can remember paying much less than $10 a ticket back in the old days. :angry: We went to concerts ALL the time. OTOH, my kid's been to about 5 - he can't afford to go any more!

In Atlanta, the ticket brokers get homeless people to wait in line to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale and have telemarketing rooms to buy them online and via the phone. A large amount of tickets are sold this way, then the show is sold out, and the ticket brokers rake it in.

I'm just glad I grew up when I did. The most we spent for a ticket was $16 for the Rolling Stones at the Fox in 1981. :rokk:

SykkBoy
05-03-2003, 03:10 PM
A few weeks ago I saw The Dead Kennedys, The Damned and three local punk bands I can't rememebr the name of...for $10....

I remember the days of seeing Metallica for $5 and now I'm betting their Summer Sanitarium tickets will start in the $50 range.....

Last edited by SykkBoy at May 3 2003, 02:18 PM

Vick
05-03-2003, 03:15 PM
"I wish that I had Jessie's Girl" - he he he Fucking Dr. Noah Drake

Saw Molly (Ooo -Eee) Hatchet open for UFO in the late 70's (I think)
UFO fucked with Molly Hatchet for their entire show including doing a conga-line on the back of the stage while Molly Hatchet played

If you look on the UFO liner notes for their live Album (Strangers in the Night) they give a thank you to Molly (Ooo-Eee) Hatchet

Aerosmith is still in their prime (which is amazing figuring most of them are in their 50's) but when going to see them is going to be a $400 dollar night, not that it's a lot of money but I have to think I'll pass

We did just go see Aerosmith December 23 (their last show before the holidays) and tickets were only $75 each .....
and it was the second best performance I have ever had the pleasure of seeing them do live

But when you start figuring a night out
280 for tickets
10 for parking
75 for dinner before or after
30 for a few bottles of wine
30 for a tank of gas
nothing for a family member to babysit (he he he)

that $425 BEFORE you buy any new clothes to go out

Fuck, no wonder I loved being a glam rock fag - I saw Poison FOR FREE and had some goofball doing promo work give me their first cassette (Look what the Cat Dragged in) before they were famous

and saw Guns-n-Butter for $10 before they were famous in a 2,000 seat club
and saw every hair band you can think of for $10 or less and saw the Ramones at least 5 times and they were never more than $20

can you say - Gabba-Gabba-Hey!

SykkBoy
05-03-2003, 03:17 PM
moral of this thread? Vick is old
;))))))))))))

Vick
05-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@May 3 2003, 02:25 PM
moral of this thread? Vick is old
;))))))))))))
Psssssttt - I know it but
Don't rub it in .... you aren't that far behind he he he :P

You say Summer Sanitarium tickets will start in the $50 range.....
I bet that will be for the nosebleed seats

Almighty Colin
05-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@May 3 2003, 02:13 PM
In Atlanta, the ticket brokers get homeless people to wait in line to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale and have telemarketing rooms to buy them online and via the phone. A large amount of tickets are sold this way, then the show is sold out, and the ticket brokers rake it in.
They do this for Bucs tickets in Orlando.

voodooman
05-03-2003, 04:14 PM
I seen Tesla at a Country bar in Oklahoma City not long ago.

Was an incredible show to and only 10 bucks at the door.