God, I LOVE NEW YORK!
;-)))

Winetalk.com
05-01-2003, 05:00 AM
some reviews,
Vick, I know you'd appreciate it

A real melting pot in your wok
Feb 07 '01 (Updated Feb 19 '01)

The Bottom Line Don't expect to find Chinese or Indian food only. The cuisine is a blend of Malay, Chinese and Indian cuisine with a strong emphasis on taste.

Malaysian cuisine tends to bring to mind, spicy dishes, seafood, curry and tropical fruits. All that is just a tip of the iceberg and trying to explain what Malaysian cuisine is all about can be tricky. That's what I hope to accomplish here without boring all of you with the details.

To understand Malaysian cuisine, it is important to understand the ethnic composition of the country. First, a geography lesson - Malaysia is located in Southeast Asia and consist of two parts, East Malaysia (located in Borneo) and Peninsular Malaysia (the more populated part, located between Thailand and Singapore). The British united the country (formerly known as Malaya and consisted of various sultanates) in the 19th century and were responsible for setting up the form of government which resembles the British Parlimentary system. The British also facilitated and encouraged immigration, the Chinese who were primarily tradesmen and the Indians, who primarily worked in the plantations. The natives or the Malays, were farmers and fishermen.

Each group brought their own style of cooking. The Chinese, predominantly from the Ghuandong and Fukien provinces brought in the Cantonese and Fukienese style of cooking. The Indians brought in South Indian food with the rich curries and dishes. Over the last 200 years and more, the various races were able to adopt and borrow recipes as well as spices and methodologies from their new and "foreign" neighbors resulting in variants of Chinese, Indian and Malay cuisine.

One can still find pure Malay, Indian and Chinese cuisine in Malaysia as well as within the Malaysian restaurants scattered all over the world. However, my favorite has always been those food which is a mix and blend of different types of cuisine. For example, Mee Goreng or Fried Noodles is an Indian-styled noodle dish which integrated the typical Chinese stir-fried noodle with spices and chili, typically used in Indian dishes. Sometimes, it is impossible to detect the differences between a Chinese curry and an Indian curry and a Malay curry. A seafood curry tends to be Chinese and a Beef curry would be Malay. All would use coconut milk in the curries courtesy of the Indians.

Don't expect to order a sweet and sour chicken and expect to find what you typically find in your take-out. In general, Malaysian cuisine is a blend of three types of cuisine - Chinese, Malay and Indian. There are some similarities in certain dishes to Thai cuisine. For example the Char Koay Teow is similar to the Pad Thai. Such similarities could have occurred because of the close proximity between Thailand and Malaysia. However, on the whole, Malaysian cuisine is unique because of its rich history. The variety of food is amazing ranging from such delicious appetizers such as the Satay (skewers), Roti Canai (Indian bread)and Loh Bak (chinese-styled sausages) to noodle dishes such as Char Koay Teow and Mee Goreng to a whole range of curries and seafood.

There is a number of excellent Malaysian restaurants in New York, Boston and London. The Penang chain serves authentic Malaysian cuisine and can be found in Washington St in Boston, the Upper East and Upper West sides in Manhattan, and in Soho. In Chinatown, the sister restaurants are named Nyonya located on Grand St (my review on Nyonya can be found within the restaurant section) and Baba (on Bayard St). The only Malaysian restaurant I am aware off in London is found in the Marble Arch area and serves very spicy Malay food in a canteen-like atmosphere.

Malaysian food is unique. For all food lovers out there, give it a shot.

Forest
05-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Serge

have you ever been to Arthur Ave. in the bronx??

other than the architecture you would think you took a step back in time to Italy

Best Bread this side of the mediterranian

:okthumb:

Winetalk.com
05-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Forest,
from Pulp Fiction:

"My girlfriend is a vegetarian,
which practically makes me a vegetarian too"
;_))

My wife doesn't eat bread, which practically...
;-(((

I been in The Bronx twice in my life,
both times over pussy,
I ain't going there for food
;-)))

..unless you come to NY and get us there
;-)))

Forest
05-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@May 1 2003, 05:03 AM
Forest,
from Pulp Fiction:

;_))

;-(((

both times over pussy,
;-)))

;-)))
serge

we should plan a "Eating and Drinking" trip to ny

4-5 days Nothing but good food and wine

He who gains the most weight wins a prize

:okthumb: :biglaugh:

Almighty Colin
05-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Forest@May 1 2003, 08:07 AM
That reminds me. How's the diet coming?

Winetalk.com
05-01-2003, 10:14 AM
diet?
what diet???
;_))

SEXERSIZE!
;-)))

Winetalk.com
05-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Forest+May 1 2003, 08:07 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Forest @ May 1 2003, 08:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@May 1 2003, 05:03 AM
Forest,
from Pulp Fiction:

;_))

;-(((

both times over pussy,
;-)))

;-)))
serge

we should plan a "Eating and Drinking" trip to ny

4-5 days Nothing but good food and wine

:okthumb: :biglaugh:[/b][/quote]
Forest,
I'll be here in July,
let's hit all favorite spots!
;_)))

Forest
05-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Colin+May 1 2003, 06:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ May 1 2003, 06:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Forest@May 1 2003, 08:07 AM
That reminds me. How's the diet coming?[/b][/quote]
im at 205 right now

down to a 34 waist :gbounce: :cdance: :bjump: :bwave:

from a 38 ... Boy was I a fat fuck

I have tone I havent seen in years

and i can see my dick again :yowsa: :D

Thank you Dr Atkins.. Rest in diet heaven

:salute:

Forest
05-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@May 1 2003, 06:23 AM
[Forest,
I'll be here in July,
let's hit all favorite spots!
;_)))
NYC in july

ugghhhhh I remember the heat waves...

maybe we should rent a house on the shore and Restaruant commute

:D

bay head Is Great in July

Vick
05-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Mmmmmm Thanks Serge - sounds great!
Will have to give it a try next time I'm in NYC :)

Winetalk.com
05-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Vick@May 1 2003, 11:55 AM
Mmmmmm Thanks Serge - sounds great!
Will have to give it a try next time I'm in NYC :)
LMK when you go and I'll go over few items on the menu,
it's over 300 items long
;-))

Vick
05-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Thanks again Serge - I sent the info to Kirsten too

We found a good Thai place a few months back

Pongsri
244 W 48th St, between B'Way and 8th Ave

We found them in Zagat's and gave it a try, if you're around that area it's worth stopping by. I'd give them a 7.5 to 8, not outstanding but very,very good. The food is by far the best part of dining there, the room is nothing special it's self but the staff is very nice and competent

Food was VERY spicy (how I like it). One member of the wait staff even stayed by our table to see if I could handle the heat he he

Winetalk.com
05-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Vick@May 1 2003, 12:49 PM
Thanks again Serge - I sent the info to Kirsten too

We found a good Thai place a few months back

Pongsri
244 W 48th St, between B'Way and 8th Ave

We found them in Zagat's and gave it a try, if you're around that area it's worth stopping by. I'd give them a 7.5 to 8, not outstanding but very,very good. The food is by far the best part of dining there, the room is nothing special it's self but the staff is very nice and competent

Food was VERY spicy (how I like it). One member of the wait staff even stayed by our table to see if I could handle the heat he he
I know the spot, been there a few times,
it's not exactly how they serve it in Bangkok,
but...
it's a very good thai food,
and ....poor souls, they don't know that in our business we are required to handle the heat
;_)))

kmanrox
05-02-2003, 07:32 AM
$75 i fly to Malaysia for dinner round trip ;-)

Forest
05-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by kmanrox@May 2 2003, 03:40 AM
$75 i fly to Malaysia for dinner round trip ;-)
hahahahaha

:okthumb:

Winetalk.com
05-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Kman,
what do you order?