PDA

View Full Version : Coca-Cola promotes drink with 'swastika' robots

sarah_webinc
04-30-2003, 11:17 AM
From the who the fuck thought this was a good idea file....

Coca-Cola promotes drink with 'swastika' robots

A Coca-Cola promotion in Hong Kong featuring a robot adorned with 'swastikas' has been condemned....http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_775737.html

jtw
04-30-2003, 12:57 PM
The article references a Buddhist symbol that is a reverse swastika. If the arms were pointing the opposite direction, would this symbol then be acceptable? :unsure:

JR
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
that freaked me out in Korea a few times. those signs are everywhere with the big black swastika. it took me a while to figure out what the hell that was about. for a while it made me pretty nervous.

i was later told that they were pointing out Buddhist temples and that it was a symbol of Buddhism.

Almighty Colin
04-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Damn, JR. You get around.

JR
04-30-2003, 03:33 PM
my belief is that life is about experience.
we are all gonna die... may as well check shit out while we are here.

i was born in alaska in a town of just a few thousand people. most people i grew up with still have not made it very far out of town. i ran away when i was 16 and sent myself to boarding school just to get away because i was afraid i would be the same. i think thats why i have such a passion for travel and seeing different things, countries, peoples, cultures, learning languages etc.

one time i took a train from Pusan to Seoul which is basically going completely across the country. it started to really freak me out that we would be in the middle of nowhere and there would be a big, nice lighted swastika sign on a building. took me a while to get to the bottom of that.

*KK*
04-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Perhaps the Imperial Palace in Vegas isn't really in a swastika design then.
Or I should qualify that by saying a Nazi swastika design...

Last edited by *KK* at Apr 30 2003, 12:26 PM

gonzo
04-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by sarah_webinc@Apr 30 2003, 07:25 AM
From the who the fuck thought this was a good idea file....

Coca-Cola promotes drink with 'swastika' robots

A Coca-Cola promotion in Hong Kong featuring a robot adorned with 'swastikas' has been condemned....http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_775737.html
Reminds me to go to Coke HQ and see if I can get me one of those robots. Bet they are cheap now..

SykkBoy
04-30-2003, 04:44 PM
I remember a similar flap over a Pokemon card that had some of the swastika-like symbols behind the character on the card that had some parents in an uproar...

HeadPimp
04-30-2003, 10:20 PM
People are too touchy.

Symbols similar to the swastika have been in use for thousands of years. Sort of like the cross.. There were cross type symbols around long before christianity....

slavdogg
04-30-2003, 10:25 PM
hmm, that looks like swastika to me

Rox
04-30-2003, 10:46 PM
People ARE too freakin' touchy. Long before the Nazis appropriated the Swastika for their own symbol, it was a sacred symbol.

http://www.mantraonnet.com/ss/swastika.html

"Amongst the varied signs and symbology of Hinduism the Swastika is the most prominent visual symbol. Generally speaking, Swastika is held to symbolise the progress of the Sun through the heaven. Technically, Swastika means 'of good fortune-'Su' means 'well' and 'Ast' means 'being'. This is an auspicious mark or emblem revered the world over, since the dawn of our civilisation.

Swastika, the graphic symbol, is found in almost every ancient and primitive cult all over the world. The most ancient Swastikas have been found in the Harappan Civilisation in India, Susa inpersia and Sammara in Mesopotamia. This symbol is frequented upon in ancient Greece, Cyprus, Crete and Rhodes. According to Leonary Von Matt it was a favourite symbol on the coins of ancient Greece and India. Swastika is also found engraved upon the funeral urns which have been dug up in northern Italy."