PDA

View Full Version : Jail time for spamming

RawAlex
04-30-2003, 01:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/04/3...m.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/04/30/fighting.spam.ap/index.html)

Yow.

If your making your money on single opt ins, you might want to think about filtering AOL 100%.

Alex

SykkBoy
04-30-2003, 01:33 AM
Hmmm, wonder if I can get AOL some jailtime for sending me more of these fucking disks I get in my mailbox every other goddamned day.....

on a positive note: my double opt-ins are now worth much more! :)))))))))))))

This will be interesting to watch...

I also wonder if I can sue AOL for all the fucking money they lost me by mismanaging their business and causing their stocks to go to shit? ;)))

Last edited by SykkBoy at Apr 30 2003, 12:41 AM

*KK*
04-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Um, that will be a funny test case in appellate court.

TheEnforcer
04-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Apr 30 2003, 12:41 AM
Hmmm, wonder if I can get AOL some jailtime for sending me more of these fucking disks I get in my mailbox every other goddamned day.....

Exactly. Spam annoys the hell out of me but it's no different than getting all those million credit card opps and other junk mail shit you get in your homes mailbox every day.

SykkBoy
04-30-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer+Apr 30 2003, 12:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEnforcer @ Apr 30 2003, 12:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SykkBoy@Apr 30 2003, 12:41 AM

Exactly. Spam annoys the hell out of me but it's no different than getting all those million credit card opps and other junk mail shit you get in your homes mailbox every day.[/b][/quote]
Yup

some argue that aol pays the shipping costs for those disks....it was mentioned on GFY...about a bulk email fee (similar to a bulk mail permit for snailmail) I wonder if this would change anything? I doubt it

I run a very very clean true opt-out double opt-in newsletter and STILL get spam complaints...I think these people signup to a few things, get a ton of spam, and my email happens to be the one they open and let loose on...

All this will really do is push the spam operations offshore...maybe eliminate a few smaller mailers who don't matter much in the scheme of things anyways...but it's not really going to stop it...and what exactly qualifies as spam? a customer claiming it is? gee, that'll be fun to defend....someone opts into my list and I send them an outside mail announcement and they lump it in with the other stuff and I have a spam complaint...

oh, this is gonna get fun, I'm sure :)