PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Arab News Story

Almighty Colin
03-31-2003, 01:37 PM
When we finally made it to Safwan, Iraq, what we saw was utter chaos. Iraqi men, women and children were playing it up for the TV cameras, chanting: “With our blood, with our souls, we will die for you Saddam.”

I took a young Iraqi man, 19, away from the cameras and asked him why they were all chanting that particular slogan, especially when humanitarian aid trucks marked with the insignia of the Kuwaiti Red Crescent Society, were distributing some much-needed food.

His answer shouldn’t have surprised me, but it did.

He said: “There are people from Baath here reporting everything that goes on. There are cameras here recording our faces. If the Americans were to withdraw and everything were to return to the way it was before, we want to make sure that we survive the massacre that would follow as Baath go house to house killing anyone who voiced opposition to Saddam. In public, we always pledge our allegiance to Saddam, but in our hearts we feel something else.”

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=24481

Winetalk.com
03-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Colin, thanks, I osted thsi article on Russian board...

this article is NOT what their press makes them beleive, it will be interestinjg to see their reaction
;-))

Mike AI
03-31-2003, 02:42 PM
Good article, what he says makes sense.... I hope it is true. A lot of things go on in the middle east that does not make sense...

dantheman
03-31-2003, 02:49 PM
12 years ago when we pulled out of southern iraq the marsh shites that helped and tried to start a "upraising" were beat, killed, tortued in puplic. They(iraqi people) learned a huge lesson:( Thier going to play the middle till they know who the "winner" is.

Winetalk.com
03-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Dan, agree 100%

more articles from saudi journalists:

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=24516

The people I spoke with at Umm Qasr said they were happy about the removal of Saddam, as he had held them in terror for years. They took me to see the local Baath Party headquarters. They told me that many bad things happened there and that most of those picked up in the middle of the night and taken to that building were never seen again.

I entered the building and walked around. I couldn’t help noticing the excitement in the people’s voices as they pointed out the bullet holes and the charred remains of where the building burned.

That was when I first got the sense that these people were really eager to see Saddam and Baath gone.

I asked several what they thought of the US/UK plan to remove Saddam. They told me: “Now that they have started to remove him, they cannot stop. If they do, then we are all as good as dead. He still has informants in Umm Qasr and he knows who is against him and who isn’t.”

When asked about what they think of this war, most Iraqis said that they were against the loss of innocent life and the destruction of their cities, but they seemed adamant about the removal of Saddam. They were happy about the “liberation” of Umm Qasr but were disappointed in the US/UK for not keeping their promises to provide humanitarian aid.

Winetalk.com
03-31-2003, 03:02 PM
same note I made on Russian board about this article:

Saudis are NBOT the part of coalition and Saudi government is against the war, thus making those articles as "propaganda" very UNLIKELY.